• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

G Dock at Halls, boats sunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthecreek

Just back from a quick check on ours. The house boats in #16 and #22 on G dock are sunk. I would like to think that the owners have been notified but just in case... Also if anyone knows anybody on "Making Memories" (also G dock) it is going to crush the powers cables pretty soon unless retied. Told this to the only gal at the office but just as well have been talking to a handcart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Rock Paradise

According to the park service guy at the pump out and bullfrog executive services they had winds at 76 mph. Pretty late for winds like that.

Kevin G

What a shame the marina is located in the main channel rather than in a protected area like it used to be.

Dave I.

That sucks. Hope they notified the boat owners to get them taken care of. I know Halls is just shy of being a ghost town during the winter months but that shouldn't be an excuse for lack of customer service. Hope they got them boats taken care of.

Red Rock Paradise

Dave, there are a few issues with what you just posted. To say that they lack customer service during the winter months is nothing close to what I've experienced. I was able to get fuel at the on land gas station 3 years ago on Christmas when the credit card readers on the pump weren't working. A nice gentleman came down on his day off to open the store and sell me gas. I've been able to get access to the marina store and help get a ride back to the launch ramp after parking my truck in their parking lot. I've had to wait a few times because there is only one person but that is not a lack of customer service that is just the way it has to go sometimes. I appreciate everything both Hall's and Bullfrog have done for me and to help me out and yes sometimes they can't help me or someone is having a bad day and they like they don't want to help but do but that doesn't warrant you drawing a conclusion off of what you heard and it adds to the negative energy at the lake. I've been coming to the lake since 1988 and this year was by far the worst with gossip, rumors and lies coming from people that are coming in to vacation. I am honestly sick of the rumors and it seems that more people are getting involved with rumor making and this has a very negative impact on the lake. Are there things Aramark could do that would make it better? Yes of course there is stuff they can do but every company out there can do better. The gossip and rumors that undermine the workers, especially this year, and their attempts to make it a good place are not appreciated by me. I've seen what they do to try to help someone out only to be curse at for not being successful even after going way out of the way to try to help them. The customer service has suffered severely the past few years because of Aramark and the park service but also because of gossip and customers that yell and curse at the workers after the worker tries to help them. That is demoralizing and this causes people not to want to go out of their way to help people like me that truly appreciate their time, effort and help. I feel bad for several of the workers this year after seeing how many times they were yelled at for something that doesn't have anything to do with Aramark or is completely out of their control like the power going out at bullfrog. I give credit where credit is due and I give credit to bullfrog and Hall's after this past year.

Dave I.

Well, Red Rock, That is quite the rant. I am finally happy to hear that someone is willing to speak up for the employees at Aramark, BUT....

Try telling that to the customer that had to sleep on his fishing boat all night at the Halls fuel dock in mid-October because no one would come down and help him after 6:00 pm. Couldn't make it to his houseboat that night.
Try telling that to the customer that was told "It's that expensive because we know you need it to get back on the water." when he was trying to buy a part. I didn't have it and he went to Green River and found the part $180 cheaper!
Try telling that to the customer that walked into the Marina store, had a question and had to get the employees attention from their phone to get some service. He was trying to be polite but he claimed he waited for 45 minutes.

The list can go on and on. I have seen employees go out of their way to help the boater at Lake Powell, yes, but have you seen the flyer that Aramark uses to get these foreign visa workers. I have talked with a few of them and they specifically say that what they signed up for isn't what was delivered. Right there is disgruntled employees. Maybe you should start looking there Red Rock for the negativity, gossip and rumors. Not calling me out for repeating second hand what customers tell me.

Again red Rock, I am glad you came and told of good experiences with the Aramark employees. So for this year, you are the first I have heard anyone do that. I would love to see everyone else get the personalized treatment that you receive at the lake. That would be AWESOME! But, the truth is, that what you call "Gossip, Rumors and Lies" stem from somewhere just like most "Folklore and Legends". So, next time, try not to stir the pot so much and make your positive accounts with Aramark employees an actual positive post.

And yes, I have seen customers get unruly with the employees, which I agree is wrong and does undermine the customer service. You go into a fast food place and yell because your fries are over done, they are going to spit in your burger, yes, I get it. Sadly though, Some can't control their temper when things don't go their way when they are just trying to relax at the lake. You have to figure these kids get next to minimum wage, separated from their homes (or homelands) and get yelled at by "rude" Americans. I do feel for them and always greet them with a smile.

You talk about all the negativity at the lake, I guess you should re-read your post and see how it reads.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Docker

When you are in "the real world" do you go to a place of business that has posted hours an hour after they have closed and then complain when know one will help you? Why would it be different when you are on vacation? If you were going to be going to a place of business and you were unsure of the hours don't you think you'd call ahead and double check? And yes, sucks prices are higher for things on the Lake but it's literally 3 hours to the nearest Walmart. It's the price of convenience. Prices are set, it's not like you can haggle with some random employee. As for the guy that waited for the employee on the phone, yeah the employee should have been more observant, but who waits 45 minutes before they finally interrupt someone playing Candy Crush at work?

Dave I.

And you are right Docker. So, please tell my why I get phone calls at 1:30 am from people on "vacation" when my hours are clearly posted everywhere. It happens more than I would like. And several of them first try the cell number, then they send a text, then they call the land line number and in a few cases, they pull into my driveway almost demanding service in the middle of the night. My hours are clearly posted on the sign out front.

Yes, those people do need to get back into the "real world" so please stop acting like I don't know about it. Red Rock got exceptional service on Christmas several years back and that is great. I plan on being open this Christmas to help anyone that needs it. Just because I tell you what people are saying doesn't mean I support it. It is what I hear, nothing more.

I'm not here to argue about customer service. I know I give exceptional service and have several repeat customers. It saddens me that I hear so many complaints about the lake services, but I do. Now, for those who want to keep on being negative, Glod Bless and have a great day. And to EVERYONE. Have a Merry Christmas

Ryan

I think there is valid concern on both sides here.

Personally, I try to divorce the typical employees at the lake (my experience is mostly with Halls and Bullfrog) from Aramark the corporation. For the most part, I think the typical employees do what they can to accommodate you.

Like the time I needed to change oil and filters on the houseboat, and I was one filter short. None of the stores had a filter (which seems very poor management to not have a common need, regardless of price), but one of the employees scavenged one that was to be used on a rental boat. Or the time we were in the slips, and needed a pump out. Pootopia was scheduled out for a couple days, but the worker who was running the boat that day fit me in anyway.

As stated, I agree that the stores, especially their inventory, is mismanaged. How do you not have fuel and oil filters for Mercury engines (which are largely universal) in stock? And not have a starter on hand? Because of the remote location, I am willing to pay considerably more for those items when I am on the lake because I realize it isn't like just running to the store in Denver. Honestly, I would happily pay $180 more for a starter at the lake than to drive 4 hours round trip to Green River.

During the summer, I really don't know how they can not have the fuel dock hours extended. Or have fuel available at both north marinas during the summer (speaking to the fact that Halls was closed most of this year for repair). Having pay-at-the-pump would solve some problems.

And for what we pay in slip rental, I do think the docks should be in better shape. The fact that there are only two bathrooms to service all the docks is unacceptable. I've said that for years.

In regard to the comment about the foreign workers, I have no idea what they promise them to get them here. But I do know that every time I work with one (usually at the fuel dock), I ask if this is there first year. And at least half are returning employees. Many of the newbies tell me that "a friend who used to work here told me to come".

I am not a fan of Aramark. My ideal situation would be competition at the marinas. Give one concessionaire Halls, and someone else Bullfrog. Even if one of those were Aramark, it would be an improvement.

But, unless I am mistaken, no one seems to be interested to do that. Which I guess makes me grateful that Aramark is here. And that is hard to say.

Dave I.

Ironic thing about all this is I have VERY little to do with Aramark. I have my own boat which we camp on, we bring our own fuel, we bring everything we need but since I work for the people that visit Lake Powell, I do hear the complaints. About the only thing I have to do with Aramark is buy 2 cups of coffee every time we leave the lake.

I do hear plenty of complaints thru the year about all 3 companies at the northern end of the lake. It's not just Aramark.

Hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Peace.

botnb

Since starting at the north end in the early 70's, I just kind of got used to not having much for services, especially coming from back east on the Mississippi river. There were probably 10 marinas in a 10 mile radius in WI. and MN., so you didn't have to plan ahead, much, but coming to Powell the first time, and knowing how primitive it was , was STILL a surprise. but wonderful. To see the canyons, then, was as close to spiritual as I get. As with any primitive place, you can't be oblivious to your surroundings and survive , without help.. Just my dos pesos....

VanillaIceCream

Hey - this thread is getting a little crazy, all this talk about the quality of service received from different marina employee's reminded me how I treated customers while at Lake Powell.

When I worked at Bullfrog, it didn't matter to me if the yacht was worth 300 million or 300 hundred dollars, I always gave the same mediocre service to everyone.

But seriously - Merry Christmas!!!

I went to check on our boat yesterday and found that the front cleat on our boat was ripped right off the dock and hanging in the water. this caused the boat to pull away from the dock and snap the second dock line too. Someone then took our anchor line and wrapped it around that second cleat in a big knot. The rest of our anchor line was in the water. There are only 4 boats on B dock and there are many section of rope that could nave been used to tie our boat off. Now 2 dock lines and one long anchor line are ruined. This must have happened a month ago by the looks of the algae on the cleat. They knew this happened and didn't fix the cleat. The second cleat is ready to rip off the dock too. The boat was floating 5' off the dock.This just another example of how poorly Aramark is doing. Anyone want to buy our boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.