• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Fun Quick Trip North

Dungee

Had a few days and could pick the nice weather so I took three of my oldest down to the north end for a few days.

Water temps were about ten degrees warmer than last trip and the fishing had picked up some. Walleye were still wondering all over the place. Only thing missing this trip were the bigger largies. This was a more laid back trip as I had the kids so we didn’t fish as hard as we usually do, at least I didn’t, Nixon did though. It was my second youngest’s first Powell trip and she did it like four months before Nixon did his first trip. She did great and had a blast.

Mudline and clarity are still about the same. Lots of boats up north, probably my fault 🤦‍♂️. Ned rig and a simple Berkeley mullet soft plastic on a jig head worked slowly worked the best. Got some fun topwater action too. Hope to head down again next weekend.

Side note, we launched the left of the main ramp, if you stay at an angle on the asphalt it’s a decent launch. We also parked pretty close with some other trucks and no one bothered us. When we came back yesterday there were half a dozen rangers talking to a guy who looked “legit,” they were pointing there arms out and walking around the bottom of the main ramp. Maybe some potential plans for expansion or alterations to the main ramp are in the works?

Preston

77280C47-A889-4C99-8931-9BC6777F1C8D.jpeg
F28B74FA-DC5A-4C57-A600-24F490B01BF0.jpeg
CB92CD74-1FB6-419A-9AD1-BED88F208C43.jpeg
D43762B6-251A-463E-8F2A-CC691CACE1D2.jpeg
D912AE10-8F0F-4787-B460-477B2F8A3759.jpeg

61D34FC6-E4C5-45D7-A7E9-46CDD230BF0F.jpeg
98DD6A3F-890B-4012-A563-758E96061556.jpeg
4D2958DA-5252-4EE9-B8BD-775E6AA272B4.jpeg
8FF92566-A5D2-4519-A40B-B92F6FD1302C.jpeg
B1618635-BE78-4AAE-B858-EBB49F3145B2.jpeg
7646AA1F-1F9D-49C2-9067-D6E30AD9DD11.jpeg
B597D2A5-3699-46D2-B54A-D1595D53A746.jpeg
3A8D19C2-0D33-49A3-9A22-D0D3BA5481FC.jpeg
468B0692-ED37-414A-B100-8636E80C06B0.jpeg
DAB315E2-F9A9-465D-B432-A330E05A2F07.jpeg

Last edited:

Pink

Nice report. I'm heading up Monday, Probably split time between north, Escalante and SJ. The last trip we were catching smaller fish in SJ .Anybody been their in the last couple days and had different results?

Chris H

Great report and awesome kids action. Not your fault lots of folks up north. Just have to read Wayne's fish survey report to understand where the best chances are on the lake. Was up there a week ago and plenty of boats but still big water and lots of places to find fish. Just there to have fun!

BrianID

Lots of boats up north, probably my fault 🤦‍♂️.

I've felt that some of the reports I've posted have had similar results. I know for a fact that on a few occasions I've had others fishing places that I do because of reports I've made. I've come to the conclusion that for the moment I'm willing to share more details about Powell fishing locations than other places I fish. I'm happy to share general locations for smallmouth, largemouth and walleye. I'll give GPS locations and other detailed descriptions for stripped bass. If you want to know where I'm hunting mule deer, telling you the state may be as detailed as I get.

Keep up your great reports. Many people on here truly appreciate them. If you decided the only detail about your location is that you launched your boat at Bullfrog in future reports, many of us will understand.

Dungee

I've felt that some of the reports I've posted have had similar results. I know for a fact that on a few occasions I've had others fishing places that I do because of reports I've made. I've come to the conclusion that for the moment I'm willing to share more details about Powell fishing locations than other places I fish. I'm happy to share general locations for smallmouth, largemouth and walleye. I'll give GPS locations and other detailed descriptions for stripped bass. If you want to know where I'm hunting mule deer, telling you the state may be as detailed as I get.

Keep up your great reports. Many people on here truly appreciate them. If you decided the only detail about your location is that you launched your boat at Bullfrog in future reports, many of us will understand.
Mostly just TIC. Powell isn’t mine or anyone’s per say. Lots of anglers, lots of good fishing. On more than one occasion I know I’ve caught the exact same fish in the exact same spot on consecutive days. Will probably head mid lake next week.

BrianID

Mostly just TIC. Powell isn’t mine or anyone’s per say. Lots of anglers, lots of good fishing. On more than one occasion I know I’ve caught the exact same fish in the exact same spot on consecutive days. Will probably head mid lake next week.
Mid Lake is no good for fishing. Mid lake is good if you don't mind the crocodiles and want to find rattlesnakes, water moccasins, scorpions, etc.

Jim Sargent

Saw a family of five fishing striper in Navajo this week. Made me think of the many Dungee reports. These kids were probably three or four and up. All of them including mom had a rod in hand and they had a bunch of stripers at the fish cleaning station.

dale eichel

"Side note, we launched the left of the main ramp, if you stay at an angle on the asphalt it’s a decent launch."

Which boat ramp?
dale

svivian

@Dungee Preston when you say you parked pretty close to the ramp do you mean you parked in the dirt above where you launched to the east of the main ramp? Im heading there friday and was curious if that was an option or if I would need to park in the main lot. Thanks

Dungee

@Dungee Preston when you say you parked pretty close to the ramp do you mean you parked in the dirt above where you launched to the east of the main ramp? Im heading there friday and was curious if that was an option or if I would need to park in the main lot. Thanks

I know this image isn’t to the date... (I don’t know how or if I can update the date on Google earth) so I hope this makes sense. We launched at the red x and parked at the red square. There were probably about ten other trucks there as well. Parked there two nights, no one bugged us.
6545347F-8569-4E7B-BF14-CE75C45A7A79.jpeg

svivian

Thanks Preston, I was planning on launching there already but wasn't sure if parking in the dirt would be frowned upon for a quick two day trip. Obviously it depends on the ranger that day working whether I will get a ticket or not but figure if others are doing it maybe they will be a little relaxed about it considering the conditions?

Dorado

We launched there as well, it is a good angle. There were quite a few large bass boats launching and parking right there, they looked like they were mostly day use anglers. We were going for 4 nights, so we parked in the regular long term parking area, as did several others. It is only a 5-10 minute walk!!!