Foot Pedal problems – Min Kota Trolling motor

Richard

Need a little help with a foot pedal on a Minn Kota trolling motor. The unit is probably 10-12 years old. I replaced the foot pedal and cord about 6 years ago – so no issues until recently. Before I order a new one I thought I would check to see if there is a sensitivity adjustment or cleaning that I should do.

On this last trip the motor would not respond or respond only occasionally to pressure put on the right side of the pedal—No issues with the left side of the pedal – sometimes I had to tap the right side to get some movement and other times it worked fine and other times no response

So it difficult fishing in circles -- Any thoughts or just buy a new pedal?

Last edited:

Squirrel

Richard, I’m in the same boat as you, the foot control on my Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 is responding erratically. I’m probably in the market for a new one also. One of the Wordlings sold me one 4 or 5 years ago. It might be cheaper to get the remote control style with the control on a lanyard around your neck. If you find a couple of them let me know. Glad you had a good trip, it was just too hot for me over the last week. Sq

Richard

Squirrel -- Good to hear from you -- I'll let you know what I find -- Yes it was hot in the middle of day but I was expecting worse - Th evenings were perfect -- I would say 80% of the fish caught were caught in two isolated coves in bullfrog -- so I should ask myself -- Why did I spend $250 in gas looking from Lake Canyon to Knowles - because you never know what's around the next bend !

upthecreek

My V2 is at least as old as yours, and the foot control gets tempermental at times. I take it apart and clean all the contacts with alcohol wipes and it gets happy again. It has always been a layer of red dust causing the problem. Not a bad problem to have.