Fly Fishing for Bass!!

Heading out this weekend was going to try the fly rod on bass for the first time.
Has anyone been trying to fly fish for bass during the early morning or late evening when top water action is happening? If so what patterns have you been throwing?

Thanks in advance.

Dungee Fishing

Peter threw a small mouse and a small frog while I threw a buzz bait one evening. I caught 10+ and he caught none although he did have a few strikes. Some would say however that he still had much more “fun” and “true” enjoyment than I did.

That being said top water in general is good right now, so maybe if he had the front of the boat he would’ve caught more, I’m sure they would be affective.

Jairo

I was about to post something the same questions. I wonder how effective a popper would be. Look forward to hear from this as I’m heading out there next week.

Dr. Love

Fished in Rock Creek last weekend with a 4-sink line and black woolly buggers. The smallmouth and bluegills liked that. Fishing across any ledge that dropped off from 4-5 feet produced strikes. Did not fish with a floating line.

BrianID

I’ve caught bass numerous times at Lake Powell on fly rod. Targeting the earlier stripper slups in June is great fun with a fly rod but requires expert boat control and the ability to quickly make long casts to be effective. I doubt you will see many, if any slurps this weekend. I think we are still a couple weeks away from widespread slurps.

Top water for bass is very fun on fly rod but it does limit the amount of water you can cover compared to a spinning or bait casting rod. Flies that imitate crawfish and shad have also worked well for me at Powell.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and great tips. I will post on this thread in a few days to let everyone know how bass on the fly was.

I will be bring a couple different reels to test out one with 7wt sinking line and the other with 8wt floating line. I developed a new bushing material for Ross and Abel Reels out of Montrose Colorado I will be testing out. That is the main reason why I will be fly fishing. I will also be bring plenty of spin and bait casting gear to make sure some fish are caught.

So why would you go through the stress of fly fishing when you can kill 'em with plastics on a spinning rig? 😃
Have you ever caught Bonefish or Tarpon on spinning gear compared to catching them on a fly rod? Don't get me wrong I will do whatever it takes to put fish in the boat I just prefer double hauling and throwing the fly rod.

Dungee Fishing

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and great tips. I will post on this thread in a few days to let everyone know how bass on the fly was.

I will be bring a couple different reels to test out one with 7wt sinking line and the other with 8wt floating line. I developed a new bushing material for Ross and Abel Reels out of Montrose Colorado I will be testing out. That is the main reason why I will be fly fishing. I will also be bring plenty of spin and bait casting gear to make sure some fish are caught.
Peter and I both use Ross Reels. You guys make a great product. Keep it up!

Outside

Have you ever caught Bonefish or Tarpon on spinning gear compared to catching them on a fly rod? Don't get me wrong I will do whatever it takes to put fish in the boat I just prefer double hauling and throwing the fly rod.
Everything is more fun on the fly!! And Ross are some of the best, I have several. Chasing slurps on the fly is one of my favorite things, and big pike. The only time I pick up a spin rod is for smallies at Powell.:cool: Good Luck!

scubatim

Welcome Garren. I am right here in town - you ever need any testers - call me in!!!😁 I have been using Ross since he started the company - have an oldie I have taken for bone fish and LP varieties for years!! Best reel on the market - IMHO!!

Welcome Garren. I am right here in town - you ever need any testers - call me in!!!😁 I have been using Ross since he started the company - have an oldie I have taken for bone fish and LP varieties for years!! Best reel on the market - IMHO!!
Awesome!! When all of this COVID stuff falls through the cracks and we start scheduling tours again give us a call and set up a tour of the new factory.

Edward Gerdemann

I'm thinking about trying a fly rod for smallmouths this year. In fact, I'm having Ryan Barba of the Sunrise Fly Shop in Melrose, MT tie up some special weighted wooly buggers for me in olive with cream orange hackle. That should be a pretty good Lake Powell crayfish imitation. If it works I'll let you know. I've booked a September trout trip with Ryan's shop on the Big Hole River and am looking forward to doing something different. :)

Ed Gerdemann

davew

for what ever reason, I can't get my mind into fly fishing for bass -- I am a avid fly fisherman, and fished the majority of great fly-fishing water in the western US, but when I think of bass fishing, my mind automatically goes to bass casting rods and plastic lures. -- I just cant seem to get over the hump -- same thing on trout waters -- could not imagine using a spin rig on a trout stream even though many do with great success -- I can use one on a trout lake ---- the more I think about it, the more I think I need therapy!

Ed -- have a great time on the Big Hole --- wonderful trout water!

Dorado

I'm thinking about trying a fly rod for smallmouths this year. In fact, I'm having Ryan Barba of the Sunrise Fly Shop in Melrose, MT tie up some special weighted wooly buggers for me in olive with cream orange hackle. That should be a pretty good Lake Powell crayfish imitation. If it works I'll let you know. I've booked a September trout trip with Ryan's shop on the Big Hole River and am looking forward to doing something different. :)

Ed Gerdemann
I tie mine on jig hooks with dumbell eyes and lots of rubber legs. Pretty much any fish that swims eats that fly! Smallies in particular....

scubatim

for what ever reason, I can't get my mind into fly fishing for bass -- I am a avid fly fisherman, and fished the majority of great fly-fishing water in the western US, but when I think of bass fishing, my mind automatically goes to bass casting rods and plastic lures. -- I just cant seem to get over the hump -- same thing on trout waters -- could not imagine using a spin rig on a trout stream even though many do with great success -- I can use one on a trout lake ---- the more I think about it, the more I think I need therapy!

Ed -- have a great time on the Big Hole --- wonderful trout water!
When you see a "boil" (slurps) of young smallies - have the fly rod and small shad imitation streamers ready!!! Catch one every cast till your arm cramps up!! Look in the shallow warm bays.

Heading out this weekend was going to try the fly rod on bass for the first time.
Has anyone been trying to fly fish for bass during the early morning or late evening when top water action is happening? If so what patterns have you been throwing?

Thanks in advance.
Fishing has been a bit slow today. Bluegills have been really active. I caught a bunch of those on my chartreuse midge and got a nice 1/2 lb smallie on a light olive bugger.