Fishing near Wahweap Campground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJS

A group of us will be staying at Wahweap campground from June 16-23rd. Some of us fishing fans are hoping to get out early each day, before we have to return to the marina to pick up the "recreational boater" persons in our bunch. This will probably be as early as 10am, for the return.

Can anyone suggest locations and rigs to fish for LMB, SMB and walleye that are within a half hour or so of the Wahweap marina? We do have a slip. The boat is a 28 foot Advantage deck boat.

I am assuming that stripers will be hanging out towards the dam. I havent fished Powell in nearly 40 years! Is chumming anchovies and fishing them on a hook still the best method?

I do remember catching walleye all the way back in Wahweap Bay near cliffs past Stateline (NW corner of Wahweap Bay). But that was when the water level was around 3690-3700 feet.

I saw the biggest smb and lmb ever on a stringer at the stateline rental dock. There is so little structure that any docks are prime fishing areas. Just have to wonder if you would be run off. Senko and ned rigs were the baits. If striper fishing the dam may do well. chum with chovies and hang on. Just north of stateline at the base of the terraced gravel has always produced stripers for me

Try the west side wall just north of the dam. Get in close and toss a 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig head with half an anchovie on it. Cast out 30-40 feet, right next to the wall (parallel). Close the reel bail and just let it sink on its own. You should get hit before it goes straight down on the line. If you don't, reel in and cast again. They hit it on the fall. You can chum with chopped up anchovies every 5 to 10 mins. Once you start catching fish you can stop the chumming. If you don't start catching fish in 15 mins MOVE somewhere else. This also works on the east side wall right at the barrier floats and you don't need to be the first boat next to the wall along the float line.

Last trip I trolled in Wahweap Bay on the north side of the Castle Rock Cut and caught stripers on Flicker Shad. Bait fishing is good in the wakeless area at Buoy 1 on the way to the dam. Bass fishing will be good with green plastic baits with warming water this weekend near the Warm Creek Wall (Buoy 12 in main channel) and on similar habitat in the mouth of Warm Creek. Find a productive pattern and then use it in similar habitat for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for the great info, folks.

I've never fished for SMB. Do they generally take the same lures as LMB? Same sizing?

Just a bump on colors and weights. Some research I did seems to favor the green pumpkin color, though not Powell-specific. Would like to bring 2-3 colors.

Are most anglers using the short 2 3/4 inch TRDs or the larger ones?

Green crayfish colors are best. Dark green, green pumpkin. I am not that familiar with color varieties in Neds so maybe someone else can add detail.
I think the smaller size would be better.

2 3/4" ned rigs in coppertruese with a 1/4oz. ned rig weight seems to get the job done. The ned rig weight is a mushroom weight in tungsten but lead would work. Alos did ok with charteuse yamasenko and 4" chartruese hula grubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back