First Timer!

RossG

I'm going down to Bullfrog for a week on Saturday, this is my first trip to Powell. Small group with kids. We'll keep the Houseboat hooked up to the Dock for the Water and Power to keep the AC pumping (for the wife...) but we'll have access to Jet Skis and a Large Ski/Pontoon boat for excursions.

I've bought the maps and the gear and look forward to some good Fishing, Hiking, Sight Seeing, Water Sports and stargazing!

Thanks to you all, especially @wayne gustaveson and @Dungee Fishing for the insight. Ned Rigs, Buck Tail Jigs, retrieving fast in the boil, etc.

Questions...

Is it worth bringing a kayak to fish/troll from around the Bullfrog area in the morning?

What should I fish for from the houseboat during the evening at the Bullfrog dock/Houseboat Slips? Catfish/Panfish?

I don't have a fancy downrigger... Can I just tie a one or two ounce weight to my braid to bring my lures/crank baits down to the 30 or so foot range? Or will that mess up the hook set and action too much?

How are you rigging your reels? Mine are currently mono back filled with 10-30lb. braided (depending on size) with no leader (even though I have some fluorocarbon line if needed).

What else should I be asking!

I'll try to keep it simple and just have fun!

Dungee Fishing

Don’t worry about down-rigger stuff, not necessarily needed. Just long line some medium diving cranks for trolling needs. Could you clarify on your line set up? You have mono backing with some braid but no leaders? Did I read that right?

RossG

Don’t worry about down-rigger stuff, not necessarily needed. Just long line some medium diving cranks for trolling needs. Could you clarify on your line set up? You have mono backing with some braid but no leaders? Did I read that right?
Exactly, about 100 yards or so of braid backed by mono. I'll probably add some leader if I do any finesse fishing.

Trix

Welcome aboard! I'm just a casual fisherman and we generally cast Yamamoto smoke/glitter single or double tails on Texas rigs from our anchored boats near shore. Usually have plenty of SMB's for battered odourves.

Ryan

How much range do you have with the kayaks? I’ve never fished much around Bullfrog in the summer, but there are some small coves near the boat rentals and then going the other way to the west of the slips.

If you find boils in Bullfrog bay, that could be fun with the kayaks. The biggest down side is the amount of traffic you’re going to run into in the area.

Brent R

Welcome aboard and will be anxious to hear your fish report. We have caught a plenty of decent stripers throwing anchovies way off the back of our houseboat. I have found it to be the most productive mid-day in order to avoid just getting catfish. It also seems to work better when we are in a deep channel. Good luck and have fun!!! It is truly a great place.