First Boil Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty ament

Well we got back from the lake yesterday and what a trip. We fished Sunday and Monday and never saw a fish jump or saw any on the fish finder. Checked all the bays from Crystal to Cedar nothing. Was ready to sell our share in the houseboat and never come back.
Tuesday our last day to fish it was out early to look for stripers, none found thoroughly disappointed and ready to head in, at 1:00 pm I notice a few fish jumping in a back bay in Forgotten canyon boated in to check it out and all hell broke lose. Our first boil experience on the lake 39 stripers in 20 minutes what a rush. Combat fishing at its best 3 of us in the boat my wife and fishing buddy. My wife neting and un hooking as fast as we could reel them in WOW. We learned on this trip is to be patient and bring a bigger cooler. Well keep the house boat and can't wait till the next boil.Strippers 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes that first experience to understand what it actually means to fish a boil. I am so glad it happened for you. You will never forget that 20 minutes of really incredible catching. Now you may understand a bit more about why I suggest dropping the fish on the deck, pick up another rod and repeat the casting process.

Does your wife rent out her unhooking services? There are many that might want to hire her. :)

Wayne's latest fishing report really hit the nail on the head.... I was down from Sep 16th-20th and we had to find a school and spoon them up. Seemed like the schools were constantly moving.... But then before the wind hit we were chasing boils in Bullfrog Bay by Dome rock.... the next day the wind hit and if they were boiling we sure couldn't see them. We headed back to Dome rock and the wind drifted us across the bay and we had 7 rods in with spoons and everyone was yelling "Fish On" even my 9 year old yelled it and I thought he was just copying us... Nope! He caught his first Striper on his kiddy pole! Of course mom had to help and make sure the pole didn't end up in the lake lol. Boils are fun.... but my sore muscles came mostly from so many spooning them up!!!

Last edited:
what a great reason to have sore muscles. We sometimes get striper thumb from lipping them into the boat, After about 30 it is raw city. Ain't it great
Well we got back from the lake yesterday and what a trip. We fished Sunday and Monday and never saw a fish jump or saw any on the fish finder. Checked all the bays from Crystal to Cedar nothing. Was ready to sell our share in the houseboat and never come back.
Tuesday our last day to fish it was out early to look for stripers, none found thoroughly disappointed and ready to head in, at 1:00 pm I notice a few fish jumping in a back bay in Forgotten canyon boated in to check it out and all hell broke lose. Our first boil experience on the lake 39 stripers in 20 minutes what a rush. Combat fishing at its best 3 of us in the boat my wife and fishing buddy. My wife neting and un hooking as fast as we could reel them in WOW. We learned on this trip is to be patient and bring a bigger cooler. Well keep the house boat and can't wait till the next boil.View attachment 1031

Wayne's latest fishing report really hit the nail on the head.... I was down from Sep 19th-20th and we had to find a school and spoon them up. Seemed like the schools were constantly moving.... But then before the wind hit we were chasing boils in Bullfrog Bay by Dome rock.... the next day the wind hit and if they were boiling we sure couldn't see them. We headed back to Dome rock and the wind drifted us across the bay and we had 7 rods in with spoons and everyone was yelling "Fish On" even my 9 year old yelled it and I thought he was just copying us... Nope! He caught his first Striper on his kiddy pole! Of course mom had to help and make sure the pole didn't end up in the lake lol. Boils are fun.... but my sore muscles came mostly from so many spooning them up!!!
great reason for sore muscles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back