Find us a beach for $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisdenied

We will be traveling up the lake early June 27. We are looking for a beach around the Friendship cove, Dungeon, West area where the houseboat faces west and has rocks blocking the evening sun. I have a 50$ amazon gift card if anyone will be leaving on June 27 or the evening of June 26 if you can secure us one!!

Finding a place is more than 1/2 the reward. Having it being the right place is the other 1/2. I fret about finding a sheltered place for the RV & boat at Stanton, but we always do. Just make the best of it, it's always good at Powell. Sq

straight across from Friendship then south on the big wall till it hooks around is always worth a look. The entrance has a fence on top at the end of the big wall that comes from Dungeon.
We will be traveling up the lake early June 27. We are looking for a beach around the Friendship cove, Dungeon, West area where the houseboat faces west and has rocks blocking the evening sun. I have a 50$ amazon gift card if anyone will be leaving on June 27 or the evening of June 26 if you can secure us one!!

Send your scout boat out early! There usually are a lot of good beaches in that area, and people are leaving every morning! Don't forget Rock Creek! Not sure at this level, but we have found a good spot, most years, immediately inside Friendship on the left. There are a couple of whales in front, but I am not sure of the water level when they appeared, so be careful.

Also first left into Rock Creek and the left side back of Friendship. You have to cut your tagalong loose in the main channel Around mm 32 and look. The cove with the fence I mentioned earlier is exceptional.

By the 27th given the rate of rising water many of todays beaches will be well underwater. That's 10 days from now and at .75'/day the lake will be 7-8' higher. So some of todays advise will be overcome by the rising water. It will be a seek out and find when you get there. We were on a beach of your description last week in Friendship and it will be totally gone by the 27th. The higher the water the fewer beaches there will be. You should add one more requirement to your quest and that is that your location have adequate room to move anchors further up the beach as the week goes on so you don't have to relocate ....unless that is your preference.
Chuck

Denied,
You got some good suggestions here. That said, If you really hope to find someone motivate by the $$$, you probably need to up the ante significantly. $50 wont pay for the gas to search out a spot 30-40 miles from the Wahweap marine; not with gas at $4+ / gallon

One way this might work is if someone has plans to be beached in one of the areas you described and will be leaving somewhere close to the time you plan to show up. You would get together by marine radio and make the beach swap. In that case, you just made a new friend at Lake Powell and the gift card is just a nice way to say "thank you" for their getting on the radio as they're leaving their camp.

Having said all that, the real challenge might be that June 27 is a Tuesday and that's when more trips start than end. Still, it's worth a shot. It can't hurt to ask!

Last week, I had in my opinion....the BEST campsite on the entire lake to myself for 4 days in the Escalante. That is a bold statement to make, as I have approximately 400 trips in my life to Powell.
That spot is now underwater. We hit it just right, and that is part of the adventure! All you really need, is a smaller scout boat, and a little luck, and you'll find a nice spot. Here's a couple pics of last weeks home :cool:
IMG_20170613_130414655.jpg IMG_20170613_130248586_HDR.jpg

Yep, we camped there in the mid-70's... I will admit after a while the overhang sort of freaked me out, but the beach is excellent!
I agree with waterbaby, cool spot but I want to see the stars, not a rock. But you know that would be a wonderful get away from the sun.

Plenty of stars to see sleeping on the boat in that spot. It was all day shade, zero wind, good fishing, plush sand with NO stickers.......it was the best of the best. I think it had been vacant less than an hour when I found it. And when I pulled off of it on Thursday, there was maybe 10 feet of sand left to the back wall, compared to at least 70 feet when I found it. Only a day camp, because the next morning, it was going to be all water :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back