Feb 16 - Fish Report

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Fishing' started by wayne gustaveson, Feb 16, 2017.

1. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

A new fish report is now available on the main page. Click on fish reports to view it.

graphshad.jpg

The key for us this trip was to find shad schools and troll through the shad congregation. There were enough stripers working with in the schools to make our fishing day successful.

Powelldreamer and Ryan like this.
  2. Ejespady35

Ejespady35 Active Member

Thanks Wayne! Always good information!

3. wayne gustaveson

Some who fished near us on Wednesday gave me more information on their catch. All caught stripers trolling but some were using deep thundersticks, and wally divers and other deep diving lures that dove to 20 feet deep. When schools appear in shallow water as they did in the graph picture trolling is a great choice.

My neighbor reported that he found the deep school we were looking for and caught 36 fish in the afternoon. I quit when the morning bite concluded but those with patience (I would like to order some online ;)) did well after I left.

Two other reports indicated good catches of stripers in the back of Warm Creek on Wednesday as well.

Bill Sampson likes this.
  4. KYKevin

KYKevin Well-Known Member

Wayne, it's a lot easier, not to have patience, when you can do it all the time, and if you only have a trip every once in a while, it give's you patience, so go ahead and put that order on hold, youd just be wasting money.
    Have a good one.

Bill Sampson likes this.
  5. wayne gustaveson

My problem is more about expectations than patience. I know what is possible and have had recent trips that were beyond amazing. How many folks would be disappointed in catching 23 stripers and a bass in 2 hours? No one should be. But 3 of us caught 75 in 3 hours the week before and that leaves lingering thoughts that maybe I could have done better.

Would I go uplake again for 23 stripers - darn right!

Lake Bum, Ryan, Bill Sampson and 2 others like this.
  6. Bill Sampson

Bill Sampson Well-Known Member

Let me know if you find that on line site for patience.

:) WG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Jason Knight

Jason Knight New Member

It was great to chat with you Wayne... See you next time around!

8. mtnpull

mtnpull Well-Known Member

This is why I tell my boys they are SPOILED. I have some great trout fishing lakes just minutes from my house and we drive 5 hours to powell for 2-4 weeks of fishing a year and my boys always ask me why I don't take them to fish some of the closer lakes (besides I don't have much time June -August) I tell them because the don't have the patience or have too high of expectations. After all a bad day on Powell is usually way better than a good day on most other lakes.

Watty33 likes this.