Favorite Boat Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't worry about the keel so much. I do worry about the prop and shaft. We are also in a 2016 Moomba and it just feels so exposed. Without a solid anchor at the back to keep it from hitting I won't consider it. The stern drive props and outdrive seem much better suited to taking minor strikes.
Oh trust me I'm petrified idling into shallow waters. But my fish finders transducer (that I drilled through the transom) is located at the very rear, bottom of the boat. As you know it's actually further back behind the prop. As long as I can see three or four feet of water I feel safe enough to put it on the shore. Of course look at the Topography of the land will give you idea how deep the water is right there. Helps with clear water so if there's any large boulders you can stay away from. Also I'm coming into shore pull It in the neutral and just drift in the last few feet. That way prop isnt turning or rudder caught it wouldn't cause much damage.

Also those brass props while they are very soft you can actually dive down and make small adjustments to them in case you did have a small strike. I hit a stick last year coming out of Escalante with all the debris we had, it got tangled up in the prop for a second. Once it got spit out my boat had a vibration (ugh). I made it further down Lake we actually got into the back of reflection Canyon where the water was much clearer. I beached it in a shallow soft area where I could get out with the diving mask, go under with a pair of pliers I found the one blade that had a small bent tip and I bent it back to its original position. Vibration gone!

Sorry little bit off topic. But this is why in another one of my posts I'm fascinated with that Glastron, forward drive, Surf and Fish thay WyoRado has. This would make Landings so much easier and safer.

Thanks for being a good guy and removing it. We frequently see tires that were used for beaching that are left behind on the SJ
The trick is to drill some holes in the center for drainage, and tie a rope to the tire and tie to your beach anchor. They do move when you are not on them. And if the water gets mucked up you can pull up where the rope disappears.

Thanks for being a good guy and removing it. We frequently see tires that were used for beaching that are left behind on the SJ

I don't think those tires in the San Juan were used for beaching.... Those are rolled down arroyos upstream and deposited in the lake from the Rez. Yep, there I said it. Many of those tires still have rims in them. One year on the Trash Tracker, we brought back 24 tires. There were many more, but we couldn't grab them all because the load was too heavy and the engine on the boat screamed at us.

I even wrote to the San Juan County Commissioners to see what we could do (beyond the Trash Tracker going up there once a year) to help clean up the Rez around Lake Powell. Nothing. No reply. Silence.

So yes, please remove tires anytime you find them.

Thanks,
Tiff

I don't think those tires in the San Juan were used for beaching.... Those are rolled down arroyos upstream and deposited in the lake from the Rez. Yep, there I said it. Many of those tires still have rims in them. One year on the Trash Tracker, we brought back 24 tires. There were many more, but we couldn't grab them all because the load was too heavy and the engine on the boat screamed at us.

I even wrote to the San Juan County Commissioners to see what we could do (beyond the Trash Tracker going up there once a year) to help clean up the Rez around Lake Powell. Nothing. No reply. Silence.

So yes, please remove tires anytime you find them.

Thanks,
Tiff
We see plenty of tires that look like they have washed down from upriver, but we have also seen them where there was clearly a tent camp set up, some time in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back