Fall fishing suggestions

shifty

Hey guys! With work being crazy and the lake shutting down because of Covid-19 we were not able to make our traditional spring kayak fishing trip happen. We are now considering a fall trip at the end of September beginning of October. I am curious what would be the better fishing site during the fall, as I have never fished LP in any other season other than the spring? We were thinking Lone Rock Beach, Wahweap Bay, and Warm Creek Bay or staying North at Blue Notch Canyon and Good Hope Bay area. What would be the better choice during the fall or are both spots excellent? We would be fishing from the kayaks and would target both bass and strippers. Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance!

Jwc

Hey man .. launch at blue notch and fish red canyon area. Throw topwaters( Zara spooks , whopper ploppers ) at low light , look for surface activity, boils and Shad schools on the surface. If none of that is happening throw topwaters on your primary and secondary points.. if that doesn’t work make long casts to the back of coves. Bass and stripers can be very shallow in the fall waiting to ambush Shad , provided the water temp cools down a bit from now. but many times you can throw top water all day in fall. I assume no electronics? You can still be successful spooning ( flutter spoons, jiggin spoons ) same deal look for surface activity, drop spoons and jig systematically up 5 feet at a time or speed reel from bottom. Cast flutter spoons up toward points and rip them back close ish to the bottom. This will get you bit by everything that swims. I like 5 inch Nichols flutter spoons in fall. Also your ned rigs /senkos drop shot stuff will work great as always for bass .. good luck . For strippers you might just wanna stay in slc or Denver or rock springs tho. 😉

Tucson-Howard

I'm also coming to Powell last week of Sept. First timer. I usually have 3 rods set up. If I should come across a boil, what lure(s) would you recommend I have ready to go? Thanks.

PBH

The north end. No question.

There is a significant difference in fish condition of those fish up towards Good Hope (and San Juan) vs. those in the south end (Warm Creek, Wahweap, etc.).

You can even see the difference when you hit the cleaning station at Bullfrog. Those fish that are caught from north of Bullfrog are usually fatter than those south of Bullfrog.

I have no suggestions on strippers. Maybe take Jwc's advice? I don't know.....maybe head further south to Mead?

PBH

Tucson -- three lures:

A. Top water (zara spook)
B. Spoon (1 oz slab)
C. Crankbait ~15' diver

Troll the crankbait to locate fish. Have the spoon ready to drop and jig when you do locate a school. Have the spook ready when a boil erupts. After you catch the first fish on the spook during the boil, just grab either of the other two rods and cast then reel like crazy. Repeat with the third rod after you hook the 2nd.

Gem Morris

1/2 oz Kastmaster for boils - I use the silver with a fluorescent green stripe. Works great for casting to boils AND spooning them up from an active school below the boat

Last edited:

Ron McKinney

You can toss about anything into a boil and get bit. Gem is right about Kastmaster working more than one way, pretty hard to beat. If you have to troll to find fish then you need something else. Wayne likes Lucky Craft and it's hard to argue against success.

shifty

Lol was looking at JWC's response and couldn't figure out why I would stay in slc for stripers, then it hit me. Definitely not what we are looking for JWC! 😁 Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like the north end it is. Having never fished blue notch or the surrounding area, is there many places to shore camp? Typically we pack everything we need for a couple of days and paddle to the next location fishing along the way. JWC my kayak will have electronics but the others will not. That being said, I should be able to locate schools and fish for them that way.

shifty

Excellent, thanks Gem! One more question for everybody, we will be in a Subaru outback with a small kayak trailer, will we be okay with ground clearance on blue notch road or would it be questionable?

Jwc

Excellent, thanks Gem! One more question for everybody, we will be in a Subaru outback with a small kayak trailer, will we be okay with ground clearance on blue notch road or would it be questionable?
There was a recent post from someone who was just there. Shoot him a DM or maybe it’s in his report.. the road condition changes on the regular... , back in the day a home girl of mine made it to the lake in a Honda Civic , with fairly limited damage to undercarriage..so it’s doable in about anything if you’re willing to stack enough rocks .. good luck .. I will be down in that area same time . Look for a ranger 619 w ColoRADbro registration w dogs, wife, and kiddo and come say hey.. favorite time at LP!!