Ethanol Fuel - Debris In Fuel Lines

Rivergoer

Escalante-Class Member
While this didn’t happen at LP, there’s often been discussion here about the value of running ethanol-free fuel…here’s some first-hand experience with pics.

Last week, we got stranded on the river in Parker, AZ. Engine quit leaving us floating downstream with no power. Fun times. Fortunately, we had a couple of PWCs in the water so we got the boat towed to safety without incident.

Upon inspection, found a cracked fuel line near a hose clamp. The lines were 16-17 yrs old so obviously time for new. While replacing the lines (dual tank setup with manual valve) a bunch of crystallized ethanol came pouring out of one line. And this line was after the fuel/water separating filter.

25DA49DA-1E59-4844-85FF-E17AFB174BAD.jpeg

Rivergoer

Escalante-Class Member
Looks to me like it is the Mercury fuel line with red lettering on it. If so there was a recall about 15 years ago in that line. Not a lot of issues after that. Surprised it made it as long as it did. I’m a certified marine tech and have not seen that fuel line in about 10 years
Thanks. We had a mixture of fuel lines… tank lines to fuel selector to fuel/water separator were the gray type sold at marine stores. The main line coming from the fuel/water separator was the original 2005 Mercury outboard fuel line. Replaced everything and back in business.

Only clear gas from now on for sure!

Rainbowbridge

Escalante-Class Member
My buddy's 07 optimax started stumbling and then wouldn't run.

I removed the fuel line/bulb and it was literally disintegrating on the inside.
A yellowish goo was coming out of it, what used to be the inside of the fuel line.

Yup, ethanol is great....... 😋 Now who made all the $$ on this scam?? :unsure:

Replaced all lines and filters, drained tank, now only REAL gas.....wala....no problems.

He asked me who he should sue......what if we'd been 20 miles off Waikiki when she quit???

:unsure:

Todd

A yellowish goo was coming out of it, what used to be the inside of the fuel line.

Replaced all lines and filters, drained tank, now only REAL gas.....wala....no problems.

He asked me who he should sue......what if we'd been 20 miles off Waikiki when she quit???

Paddle

Todd

You can’t sue everyone when YOU have a problem!

TR.

Escalante-Class Member
While this didn’t happen at LP, there’s often been discussion here about the value of running ethanol-free fuel…here’s some first-hand experience with pics.

Last week, we got stranded on the river in Parker, AZ. Engine quit leaving us floating downstream with no power. Fun times. Fortunately, we had a couple of PWCs in the water so we got the boat towed to safety without incident.

Upon inspection, found a cracked fuel line near a hose clamp. The lines were 16-17 yrs old so obviously time for new. While replacing the lines (dual tank setup with manual valve) a bunch of crystallized ethanol came pouring out of one line. And this line was after the fuel/water separating filter.

View attachment 19194
I have cleaned out more carburetors than I care to remember from ethanol use, even with additive. The crap that it leaves behind after sitting for a while is ridiculous and it is most horrible for outboards. Glad you were able to clean it out and replace.