• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Escalante this weekend...

ttmannan

For 10 years we have gone to GHB from Halls in our houseboat in May and September but this weekend we want to go south due to the mud line and lake levels.

*I am not looking for anyone's secret camping spot*

In looking at sentinel-hub satellite imagery from 4/29/21 it looks like anything past Dow Canyon is not going to be accessible. Anyone been up there lately?
Reading Fred's Liquor Store maps pages it looks like the only camping may be in Fiftymile - "depending on water level" but it's not specific if that means this low or not. Any advise?

svivian

For 10 years we have gone to GHB from Halls in our houseboat in May and September but this weekend we want to go south due to the mud line and lake levels.

In looking at sentinel-hub satellite imagery from 4/29/21 it looks like anything past Dow Canyon is not going to be accessible. Anyone been up there lately?
Reading Fred's Liquor Store maps pages it looks like the only camping may be in Fiftymile - "depending on water level" but it's not specific if that means this low or not. Any advise?
I imagine there would be a pretty great camping spot about now in the back of fifty mile that blocks the rest of the canyon but I have never boated Escalante at this low of levels. What I do know is that back of Iceberg on the far right finger should have a few really good beaches but it is about 10 miles up river from the Escalante arm so I am not sure that is worth it to you. Maybe JFR will chime in?

Last edited:

JFRCalifornia

Not a whole lot in the Escalante. But based on a recent report from Ryan, you ought to be able to get to Willow (beyond Dow), but not as far as Three Roof Ruin.

The sand dune in Fiftymile will be accessible, but I'll put a 90% chance that someone will have already snagged it. And there's no getting past that sand dune until the lake rises to at least 3603...or if it dropped to about 3540 or less, in which case you'd boat right under Gregory Natural Bridge just before the sand dune, and continue upstream.

The great protected cave sites in Davis near LaGorce Arch will not be accessible because of low lake levels. You might get lucky with another spot in Davis as Tiff says. There's also a very small chance there's a small beach at the very end of the unnamed canyon on the right side of the Escalante as you go upstream, just before Davis. This one is best around 3600, but who knows at this lake level?

Willow Creek will likely be a bust, as will its tributary Bishop Canyon.

You might find a spot near the mouth of the Escalante on the right just as you enter, or in the cove on the right a bit farther in. You might also find a spot or two among the coves opposite the entrance to Indian Creek.

There's a possibility of a talus site or two (better for houseboats) on the main stem of the Escalante either just before or just after Clear Creek.

As svivian says, Iceberg might yield a couple good spots toward the very end in particular, Slick Rock too (lots of sand in there), plus the Rincon (west side is better), or the area opposite the Rincon on the main channel, although those beaches are pretty full of clay being in the Chinle formation....

crimedog

Not a whole lot in the Escalante. But based on a recent report from Ryan, you ought to be able to get to Willow (beyond Dow), but not as far as Three Roof Ruin.

The sand dune in Fiftymile will be accessible, but I'll put a 90% chance that someone will have already snagged it. And there's no getting past that sand dune until the lake rises to at least 3603...or if it dropped to about 3540 or less, in which case you'd boat right under Gregory Natural Bridge just before the sand dune, and continue upstream.

The great protected cave sites in Davis near LaGorce Arch will not be accessible because of low lake levels. You might get lucky with another spot in Davis as Tiff says. There's also a very small chance there's a small beach at the very end of the unnamed canyon on the right side of the Escalante as you go upstream, just before Davis. This one is best around 3600, but who knows at this lake level?

Willow Creek will likely be a bust, as will its tributary Bishop Canyon.

You might find a spot near the mouth of the Escalante on the right just as you enter, or in the cove on the right a bit farther in. You might also find a spot or two among the coves opposite the entrance to Indian Creek.

There's a possibility of a talus site or two (better for houseboats) on the main stem of the Escalante either just before or just after Clear Creek.

As svivian says, Iceberg might yield a couple good spots toward the very end in particular, Slick Rock too (lots of sand in there), plus the Rincon (west side is better), or the area opposite the Rincon on the main channel, although those beaches are pretty full of clay being in the Chinle formation....
Higher Levels Bishop Canyon had the best camping spot on the lake. You were on rock and not beach, but it was an amazing spot. So many memories of camped there all through the 80's and 90's.

hellasnow

as other have said you won't be able to get past the dune in fifty mile. for reference of sorts here are a couple shots from last year. on this day water level was 3599.56. i could barley walk my 19' Four Winn's deep hull through the gap. half way through the trip i didn't put it back there any longer. didn't want to be stuck with no escape.

we lucked out but worked hard for this spot. in my opinon this is one of THE BEST spots on the lake at the water level in the pictures.

DJI_0265.JPGDJI_0271.JPG

ttmannan

as other have said you won't be able to get past the dune in fifty mile. for reference of sorts here are a couple shots from last year. on this day water level was 3599.56. i could barley walk my 19' Four Winn's deep hull through the gap. half way through the trip i didn't put it back there any longer. didn't want to be stuck with no escape.

we lucked out but worked hard for this spot. in my opinon this is one of THE BEST spots on the lake at the water level in the pictures.

View attachment 12785View attachment 12786
Thank you

tt600

I got extremely dirty looks walking my 16’ aluminum boat through the maze of houseboat tie down ropes someone strung across 50 mile channel as shown above. Apparently they thought it was their private lake.

Lake Bum

Three curves past the bottom pic above, from last summer. There was only one more campsite past us. Pretty much a private canyon. The shallow slot on the right side of the sandy beach above was 6' deep that trip.
Screenshot_20210506-060236_Photos.jpg

hellasnow

I got extremely dirty looks walking my 16’ aluminum boat through the maze of houseboat tie down ropes someone strung across 50 mile channel as shown above. Apparently they thought it was their private lake.
I don't think that was us as we were waving to smaller boats and jet ski's coming in and about to turn around. we'd point to the cut there and let them know it was deep enough to pass through. we had people daily going through there. If that happened to you while we were there i don't recall seeing you and if it was us i'd appologize for the entire group as that does not sound like our group at all. we had a few even pull up on the way out and have a drink with us and chat.

Last edited:

tt600

Been about five years, I would guess. I think they were certain I would motor straight through and cut their line with my prop. But I raised the engine and rowed/pulled through.

Last edited:

thekid26

I read all these posts just to learn stuff about the lake and jones thinking about our annual wakesurfing trip and out of nowhere you drop in quite possibly the greatest piece of knowledge ever.... maybe i'm late to the party but i knew nothing about "sentinel-hub", holy cow, this is a game changer. the imagery provided in real time is unreal. the quality isn't as great as i would like it to be but i'm sure if i pay that monthly subscription the zoom quality would imagine goes through the roof... surf trips, mammoth, camp spots, baja, hiking, real time conditions, this is fantastic, thanks so much for sharing.