• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Escalante floating restrooms nearly overflowing with waste..

Paul_G

Who exactly is responsible for the maintenance of these restrooms? This is two out of three trips this season that this particular restroom has been unusable. The first time the doors were locked. This time was worse. Human waste piled up in the toilets and nearly overflowing out of the porta-john dump because the tank was full. The Rincon restroom was also unusable in May with no water. Absolutely disgusting that these aren't being maintained.

Who do I contact about this?

Cliff

Whistling in the wind!
Can someone please tell me just what all the people at the NPS office in Page do?
I've never figured it out in 40 years of being at the lake
Just what does all the gate money fund? Is there a public GCRA budget/expenditure sheet available anywhere?
Sorry just 4 decades of frustration showing ? It could be so much better than it is.

Dougie

Did someone really give Shott's contact info with a straight face thinking something would get done??

If the marina ramp had not been found and resurrected by grace of God, Shott's administration would have left entire south lake with zero ramp access at peak season. Antelope valet was saved through Labor Day only by 2 strong monsoons which bought us 10 extra days, but now they are out of business high and dry.

Shott's version of "planning" cut off houseboat access 60 days ago with zero warning. Ruined a lot of family vacations.

And he still hasn't finished the Stateline rehab.

Now we have a lake flush in 8 weeks, and he hasn't said a word about it in his public forums. Communication skills are as good as his restroom clean-up skills. Not a lot of respect for this man's work output as an administrator.

Cliff

Has the GCNRA office EVER had a public meeting to hear from the public on what needs to be done?
Has the top management EVER talked to the public in a public forum where questions could be asked?
Has anyone EVER gone to the office to try and talk with anyone in management and been successful?
Has anyone in management EVER returned a phone call directly?
Just askin'

Lake Bum

The fees collected at the gate do NOT stay at Lake Powell. They go directly to Washington, into the "General Fund" kitty. Then.....whatever current administration is there, decides what to distribute back to the lowly peasants at Lake Powell. This is of course after fattening up all the ways they take all of our hard earned money.

Canyon Glen

I always had sympathy for the poop barge captain. Sure you get paid to boat up and down the most beautiful lake in the world but at what cost?

My guess is without Dangling Rope open for gas, maybe the barge doesn't have a large enough tank to make the run to Bullfrog?

greyhackle

I was in the plumbing business for 33 years. No I didn’t have to clean up other people’s messes, but had to fix a problem in those messes, so that others could clean it when the problem was fixed. We all hated those jobs like that. But don’t you just go to work and do your job? What the #%¥£. When I was an employee and an employer you got fired if you didn’t do your job.
Sorry, I just don’t get it now days. I’m to old I guess.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
The fees collected at the gate do NOT stay at Lake Powell. They go directly to Washington, into the "General Fund" kitty. Then.....whatever current administration is there, decides what to distribute back to the lowly peasants at Lake Powell. This is of course after fattening up all the ways they take all of our hard earned money.
I thought that funds from Glen Canyon passes stayed at the lake, but that National (America the Beautiful) passes went to Washington. Is that not correct?

nzaugg

I thought that funds from Glen Canyon passes stayed at the lake, but that National (America the Beautiful) passes went to Washington. Is that not correct?
Nope. All gate fees from every park go into the general fund. Park budgets and staffing are based on visitation, so in some manner you could say that passes mean more funds allocated to specific parks, but once the money goes into the register at the entrance booth, it becomes the federal government's and is distributed at their discretion.

Lake Bum

Powell hasn't been the same since fees started. The days of free trash bags, potty patrols, and an actual presence of law enforcement went by the wayside as soon as Washington got their greedy hands on those fees. Everything before that point, was on Grants designated to the individual lakes. It still sort of is, but it most definitely isn't based on the amount of fees taken in.

Kimbaleee

NPS is 100% incompetent and just don't care - look how long it took them to assess damage at DR- that could have been done and fixed so that there would have been fuel for the rest of the season. All of the floating toilets except Good Hope (probably bc it is so far north) were disgusting last week. They seriously just need to clean house. AWFUL.

Rainbowbridge

NPS is 100% incompetent and just don't care - look how long it took them to assess damage at DR- that could have been done and fixed so that there would have been fuel for the rest of the season. All of the floating toilets except Good Hope (probably bc it is so far north) were disgusting last week. They seriously just need to clean house. AWFUL.
Are you saying they're full of .............????

;) :ROFLMAO:

nzaugg

We can write about incompetence all we want but the reality is that there is a serious shortage of good help at the lake. The federal government sets the salaries for jobs in the NPS system and has a contract with Aramark for concessions who are motivated to keep their costs as low as possible. They will never be able to staff up to the level that things will be done right if they are unable to pay market wages and provide additional benefits due to the remoteness of the assignments. That's why we generally see eastern europeans at the marina most summers and why this summer there were so many additional labor constraints due to travel restrictions. I really hate the way the contract with Aramark is done, since there is very little incentive for them to run the marinas in a way that reflects the wants and needs of the boating community. The hardline hour changes on labor day, for example, are extremely inconvenient to boaters after Labor Day, which we discovered just 4 days after labor day one year when we tried to motor into Halls for gas at 4:30 and were told it had closed at 4:00 and by the time we got informed and pulled over to get ice cream at the main marina, they shut the window at 4:59 for their 5:00 closing when there were about 25 people pulling up in boats and walking over to the ice cream window. Provide a way for Aramark to make money and improve availability without nickel and dime tactics or allow competition within the 10 mile barrier.

As for the floating toilets, NPS needs to treat them as a public health issue and respond appropriately. Our representatives and senators ought to know about the issue and how it impacts their voters so perhaps adequate funding can be devoted to the spots where they are most needed.

Lake Bum

Picture this scenario......which is probably happening on a daily basis now. It's 40 (ish) miles from Bullfrog to Escalante (wild guess, never made that trip) and it is 70 miles from Wahweap. Law abiding boaters, that are compliant with portable toilet rules, are faced with a moral, and legal dilemma of motoring ALL the way back to their respective Marina's to properly dispose of their porta potty's, or.......dig a hole, and dump it. @nzaugg makes the perfect point, on NPS should be treating this as a public health issue.

How many boaters are they expecting, on an extended trip, to cut it short, because of a full crapper? We PAY for those floating toilets. Blaming Covid manpower shortages is ridiculous.