Escalante Aug 14-16

We left Bullfrog abound 7:30 Friday morning on our way to Escalante. Got camp set up in Willow Creek and headed back out into Escalante to find shade and hang out. I caught a decent walleye on a silver 3/4 oz spoon. Threw him in the cooler then we just hung out chasing shade and floating the rest of the day. I was following my brother in law back into camp around 7:30 that night and right when we turned into Willow Creek I saw a couple fish jump when he passed over them. I stopped and saw some fish on my fish finder between 25-60 feet so i dropped a spoon down and hooked up. My wife grabbed a rod and we sat there for about 45 minutes pulling up healthy stripers. We ended up with 14 before we decided to get back and fillet them. My cooler on the back of the boat was packed as tight as i could get it and we had 5 or 6 just in the net on the back deck. The next morning we kept all 3 boats together and just outside the entrance to willow creek we found them again, then that night they were a little farther out but we had 5 boats constantly hooking up.
I never saw a boil and that was our first time trying spoons. It was one of our funnest times fishing down there and we cant wait to get back.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
We left Bullfrog abound 7:30 Friday morning on our way to Escalante. Got camp set up in Willow Creek and headed back out into Escalante to find shade and hang out. I caught a decent walleye on a silver 3/4 oz spoon. Threw him in the cooler then we just hung out chasing shade and floating the rest of the day. I was following my brother in law back into camp around 7:30 that night and right when we turned into Willow Creek I saw a couple fish jump when he passed over them. I stopped and saw some fish on my fish finder between 25-60 feet so i dropped a spoon down and hooked up. My wife grabbed a rod and we sat there for about 45 minutes pulling up healthy stripers. We ended up with 14 before we decided to get back and fillet them. My cooler on the back of the boat was packed as tight as i could get it and we had 5 or 6 just in the net on the back deck. The next morning we kept all 3 boats together and just outside the entrance to willow creek we found them again, then that night they were a little farther out but we had 5 boats constantly hooking up.
I never saw a boil and that was our first time trying spoons. It was one of our funnest times fishing down there and we cant wait to get back.
Your report may help others understand how to catch stripers this summer. Stripers are trapped in deep water looking for food. Smaller stripers come to the top more often than adult fish. When you see 2-3 small fish surface together drop the spoons down where the school is holding to catch more fish. This is a completely different year than normal. Watch the surface and the graph to know where to fish. Time of day is also important.

John P Funk

Your report may help others understand how to catch stripers this summer. Stripers are trapped in deep water looking for food. Smaller stripers come to the top more often than adult fish. When you see 2-3 small fish surface together drop the spoons down where the school is holding to catch more fish. This is a completely different year than normal. Watch the surface and the graph to know where to fish. Time of day is also important.
Hey Wayne, do you think we're seeing a continuation of last years abundance of shad limiting boils? The larger stripers don't find it necessary to come to the surface chasing shad. Meaning that they merely wait below the thermocline for shad to come to them while the smaller stripers boil at the surface. All of the photos of stripers I've seen(both large and small) have shown them to be as fat as I've seen(ever). This leads me to believe that the larger stripers are finding plenty of forage, but certainly don't seem to be boiling.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I will know more this week when my crew returns from sampling shad over the length of the lake. Last months sample was a total bust. Very few shad were collected at lower lake sites with 50 shad per tow in GHB where the most boil action is. I hope we find more shad. If not, the reason for fewer boils is lack of shad. That would be painful for all of us. It is a mystery right now that is driving me crazy. I will report more next week.

amilberger

We were fishing with Tony Saturday evening. We did see a boil against the wall for a few minutes. It was the best 30 minutes of fishing of my life. We were using 2oz slab spoons and durring the boil we were throwing them to the wall and reeling in as fast as possible. Once the boil settled down we continued dropping spoons 40-60ft and kept pulling them out. We put about 40 fish in the bout durring that hour. We fished the same area again Sunday morning and evening with good results spooning.

Second pic is what we brought home after fish tacos and a fish fry at camp
20200815_195754.jpg20200817_170657.jpg

Last edited:

fisheye

I've got a feeling that Wayne's shad numbers are going to reflect the toll of the mussel infection? Their constant filtering of the water have a devastating impact on the plankton and thus the shad. Hope I'm wrong..

Dungee Fishing

I've got a feeling that Wayne's shad numbers are going to reflect the toll of the mussel infection? Their constant filtering of the water have a devastating impact on the plankton and thus the shad. Hope I'm wrong..
I'm no Wayne but it seemed like there were countless shad on the north end. One of the nights driving back to the north end of Good Hope to our camp from the bathroom area there were shad balls near the surface across the entire bay everywhere you looked.

SeaLegs

Whats the best way to rig up some spoons to get them that deep? Thanks!!!!

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Whats the best way to rig up some spoons to get them that deep? Thanks!!!!
Look at the pictures in this thread. I tie on a snap - then attach a spoon to the snap. Very simple and easy.