Emergency Marine Radio

bigmig

what is the emergency marine radio channel at Lake Powell?
If you break down, is this who you call to get a tow? If not, which channel are "they" on?
Is there like a "phone list" of channels and who they reach?

Thanks in advance

boat.gif

bigmig

All right......so I found that Park Rangers monitor 16 and 9, the tow service monitors 14 and 16.
Can anyone confirm this?

BreteThomas

what is the emergency marine radio channel at Lake Powell?
If you break down, is this who you call to get a tow? If not, which channel are "they" on?
Is there like a "phone list" of channels and who they reach?
If you break down, NPS doesn't consider that an emergency or their responsibility. I've had two officers tell me that directly. So you DO need to figure out how to get a hold of a tow company. Perhaps the NPS will relay a message, I don't know.

bubba

Real Emergencies and practice towing are two different things at Powell.

I assure you that your view of an emergency is much different than the NPS. Unless your vessel is sinking, on fire or life is threatened you will probably not get the NPS to care at all about your situation, but if you need life threatening medical support they will literally part the sea with full throttle air and water response to be your hero.

Support at Powell including towing can get very expensive very fast. You may want to consider buying a Boat US tow policy. 800-391-4869. Get their unlimited water tow and trailer assist policy. Worth every penny. Also have a floating tow rope to get a Good Samaritan tow to shore while waiting for hired support. Do not expect a fellow boater to tow you back to the marina, that could take all day and cost hundreds in fuel depending where you are.

Channel 16 is really the only channel you need for emergencies at Powell. Take a map so you know where you are. If you have cell service you can call the NPS on the number they give you and they will be able to determine your exact location. You can download the navionics app for digital map. SH has the best marine value right now.

The wind at Powell can get very bad very quick, get off the big exposed bays where big waves will build - get into a side canyons to wait it out.

Be safe.

jimmybame

Also on holiday weekends and such NPS can get very busy with medical emergencies I’ve listened to a family once in another canyon needing life flight but it was almost 2 hours out😓The woman didn’t survive it was very sad so always ask life flight ETA because sometimes a fast boat ride to the marina may be a better option IMO

BreteThomas

Another thing to keep in mind, when all hell breaks loose weather wise, NPS is going to be swamped with mayday calls. You could be 30th in line. Better have a game plan including a small Canyon to hide in.

Jackalope

After a large storm, we listen to the calls for help nearby and will go try and help if we can. So, ask for help but don't expect to get it until after the storm has passed.

I remember a few years back we helped out a Dentist and family. They were new to the Houseboat seen and had a brand new wakeboat (first trip houseboating and new boat. Well Antelope Point helped them anchor toward Gunsite Bay below Aistrom point (really what the heck AP), in other words really exposed to the wind and waves. Sure enough about 4PM the storm hit and caused all kinds of havoc all over the lake. 50 mph with 75 mph gusts.
We listened to the call from this group and understood that the wakeboat was full of water and they could not get it high enough out of the water to make any progress of bailing. Well, we have the "Bass-O-Matic" (just a decent sub pump) so we brought it over, and help them lift the boat up as high as we could and in about 5 minutes, the boat was floating normal. Still a total loss but they were able to call the boat dealership, and they were bringing them a loaner boat, and starting the paperwork with the insurance company, so it did not bust the trip. I was impressed with the dealership, but when you spend $100K on a boat I guess you get good service.

Next was the houseboat. It was starting to get dark and of course the engines were down during that storm and both were damaged, so we helped them to anchor back up, as in bury the anchors this time, using my boat to move them around. The the generator would not start, and this is an all electric boat... Oops. So we went to work on that and found the choke stuck and got it running.

They seemed to be handling the first houseboat trip and on the first day fiasco well, so we headed back to camp. I will tell you I hate trailing at near dark. We were parked in Labyrinth and there are some shallow spots in the entrance of the canyon, I guess I am lucky I know this area well... It was fun telling the rest of the crew the story as well.

I have a lot of stories like this, and a few of my own when we were new to this thing called Houseboating,

Sorry for the long story!