Elephant butte anyone?

TR.

My buddies and I will be looking for a primitive camp spot at elephant butte around May 30. Any wordlings familiar with the area? Also looking to fish for a day, probably from the shore unless we rent a boat. Any ideas on camping and/or fishing would be appreciated as none of us have been there before.

Thanks.

TR

Lake Bum

My wife used to go there years ago. There are a couple primitive beaches to camp on. She said the "main" beach can be potentially deep sand similar to Lone Rock beach. There used to be a dock, but not sure if fishing is allowed from it.

TR.

My wife used to go there years ago. There are a couple primitive beaches to camp on. She said the "main" beach can be potentially deep sand similar to Lone Rock beach. There used to be a dock, but not sure if fishing is allowed from it.
Thanks Travis, we will be on loaded motorcycles so not particularly up for deep sand...

Ken

White Bass fishing should still be good at that time. My buddy runs a charter that won't cost much more than renting a boat... and he will put you on fish :).
I'm there most weekends, but the 30th is mid week. You should be able to find a campsite midweek. As mentioned, watch for loose sand.

TR.

Thanks Ken, if you could PM me his contact info that would be great. Our plans are hard to predict as we are riding the New Mexico BDR but I will take the info on the chance we get it to work out. Thanks for the help.

TR

Pretty lake. We used to go there a lot when the kids were in school and college. Southern end is crowded on a holiday weekend (i.e. 100,000 visitors) which puts a strain on the sanitation and garbage systems. Northern part of the lake is more for fishing than wake boarding as it is not as clear. Lake level is at 20% full so lots of beach. We enjoyed many hikes on the eastern shore of the lake which is accessible by boat. Kids hiked up the 'Kettle' which is a butte on the northern end of the lake. Much prefer Powell. Camping on the beach is like Lone Rock only with just porta-potties. Watch out for the yellow /blue-green algae in stagnant water which usually appears mid-summer. It can be poisonous to your pets. We have stayed at the Elephant Butte Inn which overlooks the lake as my husband prefers it to the 'sandbox'. Ask for a lake view room. Like Powell, wear lots of sunscreen.