Easter Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

Will be fishing south Lake Powell Mar 31 (day before Easter) and maybe Easter Sunday.

Anyone else planning to be down there?

If so, where would you go fishing if you had your Mom and Dad with you? (Elderly but mobile).

Ideal place would fit three criteria:

1. Scenic
2. Best chance for fish
3. Not too far from Wahweap or Antelope point (we have stickers for both)

I and a few other boats will be on the North End.
March 23rd - 31st
We usually stay at Cedar, Blue Notch and Four Mile.

Yellow / Black WeldCraft
White Duckworth
Maroon Custom Weld

If the weather is really bad / cold we will head to havasu.

Last edited:
Will be fishing south Lake Powell Mar 31 (day before Easter) and maybe Easter Sunday.

Anyone else planning to be down there?

If so, where would you go fishing if you had your Mom and Dad with you? (Elderly but mobile).

Ideal place would fit three criteria:

1. Scenic
2. Best chance for fish
3. Not too far from Wahweap or Antelope point (we have stickers for both)
How far from antelope or wahweap are you willing to go? What kind of boat ya got?

How far from antelope or wahweap are you willing to go? What kind of boat ya got?

We have a Stingray 225LR with a 350HP engine and dual prop. It’ll do just north of 60mph.

That said if water is smooth we have no limits. But with dads bad back I want to stay close if there’s any chop.

There always is Navajo Canyon with its dramatic and high cliffs with tons of desert patina. You don't have to go far into the canyon to start getting into really high stuff. On the east side of Padre Bay is a fairly hidden inlet that opens up into a gorgeous cliff ringed cove. That inlet is about 4 miles north of the main channel on the east side. Around the corner at the entrance to Last Chance on the left side going in is a beautiful deep alcove that your boat can get under. Fishing is where you find it, especially this time of year. There is alot of fishing advice available. Hope this helps. By the way if your dad's back is sketchy I would probably put in at Antelope just in case the wind comes up. Wahweap Bay can be nasty if you have to cross in the wind. Warm Creek Bay as well.

IMG_0404.jpg Is this where you're talking about?

There always is Navajo Canyon with its dramatic and high cliffs with tons of desert patina. You don't have to go far into the canyon to start getting into really high stuff. On the east side of Padre Bay is a fairly hidden inlet that opens up into a gorgeous cliff ringed cove. That inlet is about 4 miles north of the main channel on the east side. Around the corner at the entrance to Last Chance on the left side going in is a beautiful deep alcove that your boat can get under. Fishing is where you find it, especially this time of year. There is alot of fishing advice available. Hope this helps. By the way if your dad's back is sketchy I would probably put in at Antelope just in case the wind comes up. Wahweap Bay can be nasty if you have to cross in the wind. Warm Creek Bay as well.

Yup! Of course you'll be able to see Camel.Rock on the NE side of Gregory Butte. The rocky shore of Gregory Butte has been very productive for smallies in the past. One of my favorite slot canyons that will let you way in on a boat is quite a bit further uplake at about mm49 called Cascade' definitely an E ticket. It has a phenomenal alcove that you can get way under and the reflections of the water dance on the ceiling. So much to see,so little time.

we will be on the north end(bullfrog) from the 24th to the 31st in a 21' blue/gray lund crossover, if any of you are heading in that direction, we usually fish striper am and everything else after, come by anytime for tips or reports, i have tons of gear aswell and will help anyone get on fish, im Adam btw, my buddy is tom

Attachments

• 20160413_222433.jpg
    20160413_222433.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160626_214202.jpg
    20160626_214202.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160414_195332.jpg
    20160414_195332.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170324_164215.jpg
    20170324_164215.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160327_135129.jpg
    20160327_135129.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 64
Hi Adam,
Welcome to the forum.
Watch for us the last week of March. It would be great to get together and talk, share a meal. We've fished LP for years, troll, downriggers, jig, bait and top water.
We boat & shore camp up north from Blue Notch to Four Mile. Sometimes we camped in Cedar, to hide from the weather. But our best fishing areas are Blue Notch, the Horn and Four Mile. Hope to see you on the water.

Yellow Weldcraft

Gregg

Is the weather that time of year (April 1) typically good or bad in your experience?

Wayne has corroborated what everyone else said, but here is the gist of it:

Wait until the Weather Underground reports come out Mar 21 before making the final commitment to LP over Easter.

Their long-range reports are typically good according to our resident expert W.G.

Further more, Wayne stated that there is typically a warming trend that first week or so of April, but the fishing doesn't really take off until after the inevitable Cold-Front that comes through mid-to-late April, warming up for good by the last week of April, first week of May.

I plan four or five trips to LP this year. So perhaps I can learn from experience whether or not this advice holds true and see first hand the contrast of temperatures, wind, waves, crowds, in context to fishing and the overall experience.

The one single thing I'm concerned about is wind and storms.

We were out there in Padre Bay last season when a HUGE storm came in, we high-tailed it to Wahweap, but it hit us before we could make it back.

We were nearly swamped a few times, with waves coming completely over the bow and almost over the windshield while the rain was pouring down so hard the boat filled with 6" of rain and the bilge (100gph) was cranking the entire time with a solid stream shooting out the side of the boat.

I think the only thing that saved us was the fact I had the bow-canvas on, which kept most of the large breakers from sinking us.

That said, in hind-sight it probably would have been wiser to find a beach and wait it out, but then again, maybe we made the right choice because the 50mph winds might have done more damage to us and the boat than risking the ride to the Marina.

Is the weather that time of year (April 1) typically good or bad in your experience?

Wayne has corroborated what everyone else said, but here is the gist of it:

Wait until the Weather Underground reports come out Mar 21 before making the final commitment to LP over Easter.

Their long-range reports are typically good according to our resident expert W.G.

Further more, Wayne stated that there is typically a warming trend that first week or so of April, but the fishing doesn't really take off until after the inevitable Cold-Front that comes through mid-to-late April, warming up for good by the last week of April, first week of May.

I plan four or five trips to LP this year. So perhaps I can learn from experience whether or not this advice holds true and see first hand the contrast of temperatures, wind, waves, crowds, in context to fishing and the overall experience.

The one single thing I'm concerned about is wind and storms.

We were out there in Padre Bay last season when a HUGE storm came in, we high-tailed it to Wahweap, but it hit us before we could make it back.

We were nearly swamped a few times, with waves coming completely over the bow and almost over the windshield while the rain was pouring down so hard the boat filled with 6" of rain and the bilge (100gph) was cranking the entire time with a solid stream shooting out the side of the boat.

I think the only thing that saved us was the fact I had the bow-canvas on, which kept most of the large breakers from sinking us.

That said, in hind-sight it probably would have been wiser to find a beach and wait it out, but then again, maybe we made the right choice because the 50mph winds might have done more damage to us and the boat than risking the ride to the Marina.
I've been in many big storms on Powell and know that the safest thing to do is wait it out. Yeah it's inconvenient but never think it can't get worse. Of course ones tolerance for risk comes into play but the passengers are always my worry.

I've been in many big storms on Powell and know that the safest thing to do is wait it out. Yeah it's inconvenient but never think it can't get worse. Of course ones tolerance for risk comes into play but the passengers are always my worry.

Do you hunker down in your boat or get off onto a beach and set up a tent or something? That storm we were in was fierce!

Spring time is spring time. If you don't like the weather wait thirty minutes and it will change. It's always changing.
We have our LP trips scheduled by our spring break. (not retired yet) I have the week off so we go to LP fishing & hiking. If I could, I would schedule around good weather. But you just can't tell what the weather is going to do until a day or two before you're supposed to leave...........
Most years it's pleasant enough, highs in the 60's and lows in the low 40's. We've even taken a swim some years. We've had bad wind, but we fished though it, our boats are whitewater river grade boats, with heaters / cabin. And I'm always with someone, never alone. Takes a lot to push us off the water. We fish through 25 mph winds, but anything higher we head into a canyons. Love the canyons. Bad weather kind of sucks the fun out of fishing. It's the sand blowing around while we are shore camping that makes it miserable. Only one year did we leave early. After two days of very good weather, it turned bad, snowing and blowing. Forecast was more of the same for the next several days. So we loaded up and I went home and my brother inlaw went to Havasu, where it was warmer, but fishing wasn't good.
In hindsight, I wished I had stayed at LP, but checked into the hotel and fished Bullfrog and Halls for the next few stormy days.
Weather forecast over 3-5 days are very unreliable. Marina radio / vhf weather channel is best to keep up with changes. I listen to the vhf radio every night I'm out.
I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And most of all, know your boats limits and your skill limits. We have had to rescue a few that were way over their limits.

Spring break fishing has been good to us. Only 23 more days and I'll be on LP again. Looking forward to it. Hope to see you guys on the water.............

Gregg

Do you hunker down in your boat or get off onto a beach and set up a tent or something? That storm we were in was fierce!
Mr. Twister has it right, Canyon is your best friend except in flash flood. Sand blowing on a beach is miserable but not as miserable as being swamped in 60 something degree water. Plus you can still fish in a canyon'

Looks as though our first trip will also be the better weather weekend of the 24th or 31st. Crossing our fingers about Hite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back