Dry camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

muley

We usually go to lone rock beach with our pontoon and truck camper. The rig we have can make it through the worst sand there, so far anyway, but we want to go uplake and see what the bullfrog area is about. Is there any place we can dry camp in that area? Especially if we can have the boat near enough so we don't have to pull it every day. We are not big fans of the partying Wake boat crews.

Stanton Creek would be the North Lake primitive campground area. There are not really campsites per say but there are places all around the area where people have setup camp at certain lake levels. There aren't really any good maps of that area, but there is kind of a maze of dirt/gravel roads that lead to different areas on the beach.

As you are coming into the park just passed the booths the road to Stanton is to the left right before you start heading down the hill.

Attachments

• Stanton.jpg
    Stanton.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 59
Stanton Creek would be the North Lake primitive campground area. There are not really campsites per say but there are places all around the area where people have setup camp at certain lake levels. There aren't really any good maps of that area, but there is kind of a maze of dirt/gravel roads that lead to different areas on the beach.

As you are coming into the park just passed the booths the road to Stanton is to the left right before you start heading down the hill.
Thanks, Docker. Exactly what I was looking for. It's kinda a haul for us from AZ but we have some new friends in Utah and will be coming farther up anyway in the near future, makes it a lot more practical. I've been wanting to see the upper reaches after reading so much about it. We can't range far from Lone Rock at 15 knots.

Just to manage your expectations a bit, those of us at the north end of the lake use the word "beach" somewhat differently than do those from the south. We tend to use it to mean anything other than a solid rock shoreline. Sometimes southerners arrive thinking that we mean sandy beaches akin to Lone Rock Beach. We don't.

We do have lots of very beautiful and breathtaking sights. And if there's some dirt, mud, gravel, or sand meeting the water nearby, we call that a beach. ;)

So scorpions in which season? Anyone been out there recently? We are supposed to be at Stanton with lots of kiddos next weekend...

We camped in Ticaboo 8/6 and saw 1 after dark, walking to a friends houseboat for dinner. That was the first one in 20+ years. I guess I don’t go out after dark much. Sq

It has been our experience that when the water is rising (we usually go late June) along the rocky ledges at Stanton, it forces them upland and concentrates them. We see many each year at Stanton, but last year with the high water, we saw 20 or more in our camp. They would climb up the tires on the vehicles at night. My wife got stung on a knuckle, she agrees, like a bee sting only pain lasts longer. They can be really numerous there, under most rocks. If you go out at night with a black light, you can see them easily, they glow in the dark...but, you will not sleep well after this! :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back