• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Draining Powell

DeepVee

The Wahweap & Stateline ramps were both extended when the lake was down 150' in the early 2000's. I'm not sure if any work was done on the north ramps during this period. For a while we were backing down the old gravel ramp surface at Wahweap, until it was extended in concrete.

Havalina

I have five deployments as a jarhead and probably spent a year sitting on the 0-8 level of an LHA. It always looked like we were going to sail right off the edge, but we never did. I have never met a flat earther, who could give me a plauseable explaination of the Coriolis effect.

JTJ

Anyone here remember NAWAPA? It was a monstrous plan to transfer water from the wet areas to the dry areas. It would put a lot of people to work and produce a lot of hydro electric power. It would be a lot better than a 2 trillion dollar special interest hand out which is what it would probably cost.

I was just down at Lee's Ferry. I looked at the dam flows information kiosk. In the middle of March there will be a planned "repair flow" for a couple days at 4000cfs. Then, it ramps up quickly to 20,000cfs for a day then back down to 12,000cfs.

Wow, I wouldn't want to deal with that on a river trip in the canyon at that time. -Kirk Out

Do a web search for "Colorado River at 100,000 CFS" and you can find videos of people running the Grand Canyon in 1983 or 84 when the dam at Powell was releasing water as fast as possible. While 20,000 sounds bad 100,000 is... bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. (see what I did there?)

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I was just down at Lee's Ferry. I looked at the dam flows information kiosk. In the middle of March there will be a planned "repair flow" for a couple days at 4000cfs. Then, it ramps up quickly to 20,000cfs for a day then back down to 12,000cfs.

Wow, I wouldn't want to deal with that on a river trip in the canyon at that time. -Kirk Out
Welcome Capt. Kirk. I have known you for a very long time :)

The Emerald Mile. Loved that story. I think its still hanging in the OARS warehouse in Flag.

It's not the high flow I'm worried about, it's your boat moored at camp. Up all night either letting out the line or reeling it in. Man what a pain!

12,000->4000, the bottom drops out and your boat is sitting high and dry when you wake up. Or it's perched up on top of a huge boulder.

4000->20,000 sand stakes pull out and tie-ups fail and it's a ghost boat floating downstream.

then 20,000->12,000 the bottom drops out again! and you're totally de-rigging an 18' raft to carry it back to the waterline.

whew! nightmare's become reality!!!

-Kirk Out

TR.

The Emerald Mile. Loved that story. I think its still hanging in the OARS warehouse in Flag.

It's not the high flow I'm worried about, it's your boat moored at camp. Up all night either letting out the line or reeling it in. Man what a pain!

12,000->4000, the bottom drops out and your boat is sitting high and dry when you wake up. Or it's perched up on top of a huge boulder.

4000->20,000 sand stakes pull out and tie-ups fail and it's a ghost boat floating downstream.

then 20,000->12,000 the bottom drops out again! and you're totally de-rigging an 18' raft to carry it back to the waterline.

whew! nightmare's become reality!!!

-Kirk Out
Sounds like some hard earned experience there Captain!

TR