• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Don’t be like Beavis & Butthead & Butthead

dicksturn

Another True Story
Back in the late 80s thru the 90s my friend & I and sometimes others spent many springs and a couple summers at Powell. We went once without a boat, several with, and a couple group houseboat trips. We usually loaded all our gear in the boat and camped at numerous outposts.

Our adventure starts in Steamboat Co, where Butthead had purchased a glastron? tri-hull boat a year or 2 earlier. We had it out on Blue Mesa and a couple other smaller lakes previously.
So Butthead 2 and I show up at Buttheads place, Ready for the spring Powell adventure. Winters in Steamboat can get extreme like 10 ft+ of snow and brutal below zero weather. So packing all our gear into the boat and truck, and I remember Butthead 2 asking Butthead at least 3 times if he had drained the outdrive?? I believe it had an inboard motor. Anyway Butthead assured us he had done his due diligence to winterize, as we smoked something, of course.
An uneventful trip to the lake, packed up gear for 3 guys, 3-4-5 days. Ya know, coolers of beer, tents, lots of stuff. Great stable boat, them tri-hulls, & were off at Hite marina.

Approx. 1:45 PM Well, we didn’t even travel a few hundred yards and the motor stalled. What’s going on with that? Then trying to restart, the starter starts screaming, then wouldn’t even engage. But wait, the boat is filling with water. Ahhh! Now we're in trouble, cause the current is carrying us farther from the marina and we're sinking. Not much traffic on the water, like none. No radio.
Well it's just getting started.
Oh, forgot to put in the drain plug, where is it? By the time it’s found the boat has a foot of water in it and we were already overloaded with our gear. Butthead reassures us if we can get it started, we can get the water out at high speed. Reverse suction or something? In the meantime 1 guy bailing water with an empty beer can, and trying to start the engine, Butthead then says there may be a shorted wire to the starter. We had to restack all our gear to get to the motor, as were drifting, and bailing, the motor was also partially underwater. Not back there. Well the short must be in the dash, and the only way to it is crawl under the skinny access, and I’m the skinniest, so remove the panels. In the meantime Butthead is still turning the ignition key trying to get started. Every once in a while it would catch. So I wriggle under and the gas tank happens to be up under there somewhere, and I see sparks from the shorted wire, the gas tank also had a leak somewhere and the fumes in this confined space were horrible, and it’s BUTTHEAD, STOP!!!
How we didn’t blow up, Just really stupid luck. Then after we (I) get through that panic, Butthead realizes that ya, he did drain the boat, but forgot to put oil back in. That means the outdrive is seized up, and we’re drifting farther from shore, and now 2 of us bailing with beer cans.
No kicker motor so where are the oars, Butthead. Well, I think there’s one in the side panel. There was, looking like it came from a kiddie boat. 1 kiddie boat oar and now nearly ½ mile from the marina against the current. So taking turns, 1 still bailing, 1 paddling, 1 resting.
Ah you think that’s the end of the story, but noooooo.
So we try and head straight for shore and get out of the main current, hour after hour. And it’s getting dark now. But nearing shore the rowing is easier so we head for the primitive boat ramp. Find a ride to the main parking and around 9:30pm, get loaded, in more ways than one, exhausted, but thankful to be alive.
We head over to Farley canyon to camp, and fish at least 1 day, then head home. Caught a few nice fish, mostly smallies.
So we’re cruising on our journey home on some 2 lane highway, which state I don’t remember and suddenly, there goes a trailer tire passing us down the road. Where did that come from?
Uh oh. Yep, it was Buttheads. Luckily it didn’t hit anyone. Pull over, retrieve the tire which was blown and apparently came off the rim. And of course no spare . So now we had to unhook the boat and Butthead backtracked 40 miles to the nearest service while me and other butthead guarded all our gear in the boat and just out of pure luck again found a guy who had the right tire for a small fortune. Just a small 4-5 hour delay.
Anyway, Be safe, and Don’t be like B&B&B. Do Your due diligence And Never trust Butthead.
But we did fish together another 30 years. Dumbasses! And I considered myself as the Beavis cause he is the smarter of the group, Right?

JJL2U

Another True Story
Back in the late 80s thru the 90s my friend & I and sometimes others spent many springs and a couple summers at Powell. We went once without a boat, several with, and a couple group houseboat trips. We usually loaded all our gear in the boat and camped at numerous outposts.

Our adventure starts in Steamboat Co, where Butthead had purchased a glastron? tri-hull boat a year or 2 earlier. We had it out on Blue Mesa and a couple other smaller lakes previously.
So Butthead 2 and I show up at Buttheads place, Ready for the spring Powell adventure. Winters in Steamboat can get extreme like 10 ft+ of snow and brutal below zero weather. So packing all our gear into the boat and truck, and I remember Butthead 2 asking Butthead at least 3 times if he had drained the outdrive?? I believe it had an inboard motor. Anyway Butthead assured us he had done his due diligence to winterize, as we smoked something, of course.
An uneventful trip to the lake, packed up gear for 3 guys, 3-4-5 days. Ya know, coolers of beer, tents, lots of stuff. Great stable boat, them tri-hulls, & were off at Hite marina.

Approx. 1:45 PM Well, we didn’t even travel a few hundred yards and the motor stalled. What’s going on with that? Then trying to restart, the starter starts screaming, then wouldn’t even engage. But wait, the boat is filling with water. Ahhh! Now we're in trouble, cause the current is carrying us farther from the marina and we're sinking. Not much traffic on the water, like none. No radio.
Well it's just getting started.
Oh, forgot to put in the drain plug, where is it? By the time it’s found the boat has a foot of water in it and we were already overloaded with our gear. Butthead reassures us if we can get it started, we can get the water out at high speed. Reverse suction or something? In the meantime 1 guy bailing water with an empty beer can, and trying to start the engine, Butthead then says there may be a shorted wire to the starter. We had to restack all our gear to get to the motor, as were drifting, and bailing, the motor was also partially underwater. Not back there. Well the short must be in the dash, and the only way to it is crawl under the skinny access, and I’m the skinniest, so remove the panels. In the meantime Butthead is still turning the ignition key trying to get started. Every once in a while it would catch. So I wriggle under and the gas tank happens to be up under there somewhere, and I see sparks from the shorted wire, the gas tank also had a leak somewhere and the fumes in this confined space were horrible, and it’s BUTTHEAD, STOP!!!
How we didn’t blow up, Just really stupid luck. Then after we (I) get through that panic, Butthead realizes that ya, he did drain the boat, but forgot to put oil back in. That means the outdrive is seized up, and we’re drifting farther from shore, and now 2 of us bailing with beer cans.
No kicker motor so where are the oars, Butthead. Well, I think there’s one in the side panel. There was, looking like it came from a kiddie boat. 1 kiddie boat oar and now nearly ½ mile from the marina against the current. So taking turns, 1 still bailing, 1 paddling, 1 resting.
Ah you think that’s the end of the story, but noooooo.
So we try and head straight for shore and get out of the main current, hour after hour. And it’s getting dark now. But nearing shore the rowing is easier so we head for the primitive boat ramp. Find a ride to the main parking and around 9:30pm, get loaded, in more ways than one, exhausted, but thankful to be alive.
We head over to Farley canyon to camp, and fish at least 1 day, then head home. Caught a few nice fish, mostly smallies.
So we’re cruising on our journey home on some 2 lane highway, which state I don’t remember and suddenly, there goes a trailer tire passing us down the road. Where did that come from?
Uh oh. Yep, it was Buttheads. Luckily it didn’t hit anyone. Pull over, retrieve the tire which was blown and apparently came off the rim. And of course no spare . So now we had to unhook the boat and Butthead backtracked 40 miles to the nearest service while me and other butthead guarded all our gear in the boat and just out of pure luck again found a guy who had the right tire for a small fortune. Just a small 4-5 hour delay.
Anyway, Be safe, and Don’t be like B&B&B. Do Your due diligence And Never trust Butthead.
But we did fish together another 30 years. Dumbasses! And I considered myself as the Beavis cause he is the smarter of the group, Right?
That story was unbelievably HILARIOUS! Sorry for your having to live it, but THANK YOU for sharing!!!🤣

airford1

I have a High School Buddy that is as bad as your buddy. I have been on those trips before. 50 years later and he is still the same. I cant take that ride so I watch from the shore when he's around.