DETAINED by NPS

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Recreation' started by bennyking9987, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Cookie

Cookie Member

I pushed my son into the water at DR, landed in a pool of carp................lucky I am not in prison :)

Bill Sampson, TR. and Powder Hound like this.
  2. Grant Stevens - USBR

Grant Stevens - USBR Well-Known Member

No worries, those spiders have way more rights than a person does, I'm sure that ranger would have little concern if your son was eaten... :rolleyes:

Bill Sampson, Squirrel and Cookie like this.
  3. VanillaIceCream

VanillaIceCream Well-Known Member

Where do I purchase the permit at Dangling Rope to toss spiders to the carp? I'd happily per $45 yr.

4. Slickrock

Slickrock New Member

What does "assisting" mean?

I think I saw this event at Dangling Rope. I was slacking in my boat just across the dock, enjoying that famous ice cream. What I saw was a middle aged guy sticking a long straw down into the dock grate and fishing spiders out from their safe habitat and then flicking them to the carp. This guy did this no less than 6 times surrounded by an audience of children. Was this you? "Assisting"? More like a live demonstration of sadism. There's a big difference between brushing one spider off its web into the water and purposefully and repeatedly removing them from a place where they are bothering no one and sending them to their deaths - and - getting some sort of sick pleasure from it. "Assisting"? There is no way these spiders would have ever fallen into the water were it not for you.

Does it matter that they were spiders and not some higher order of animal? I think not. It's the principle of it all. After we pass the age of 10, people stop pulling the wings off flies for a reason.

Frankly, I was relieved when the ranger showed up. You mock him now but it seems he may have tried to give you the help you need. Just sayin'.

5. ROSCOELAB

ROSCOELAB Well-Known Member

LMAO second troll shows first troll his head

TR., JBinNM, Lance Cue and 1 other person like this.
  6. VanillaIceCream

Where do I purchase the troll permit at Dangling Rope? I'd happily per $45 yr.

7. Slickrock

Slickrock New Member

Didn't realize this is a closed discussion group. Only trying to add some breadth - and facts- to the discussion.

Your profile indicates you are a "long time" member... ? Thanks for the welcome.

ROSCOELAB likes this.
  8. birdsnest

birdsnest Well-Known Member

It may just be a matter of time. The next time you get pulled over and the cop runs your license don't be surprised if he cuffs you. I was reviewing the fbi's most wanted posters and I probably saw you on one of them. And Slickrock, you sure came on strong to expect some kind of welcome. Sadist? Sick pleasure? Facts? I have had to hold my tongue many times on this forum but that doesn't make it closed. My mother taught me" If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything".

JBinNM and ROSCOELAB like this.
  9. John P Funk

John P Funk Well-Known Member

Let's get together at DR for a memorial service for the poor spiders that gave their lives so valiantly. They were just minding their own business, making babies and spreading all over the place, when "POW" here comes some insensitive "fisherman" and destroys the finely balanced ecosystem. Let's try and maintain some perspective, they were spiders. There are so many more things we need to be worried about in this day and age.

Powder Hound and Bill Sampson like this.
  10. VanillaIceCream

I don't even have spiders!

11. Porta56

Porta56 New Member

I worked for the Forest Service for 32 years. We called them Park Nazis. And for good reason. What a bunch of hard wired, no fun people...

12. Robert Harrell

Robert Harrell New Member

I'm going up to Dangling Rope today, thanks for the warning! Im retired from law enforcement (police helicopter pilot LAPD) and even to this day, I hate any contact with law enforcement that does not pertain to my safety or the safety of others. Spiders, fish, watch out, here I come. I am sorry that you were detained for such an issue! This official should employ himself in education in safety with positive contacts and with respect for visitors. Badly done NPS.

Bill Sampson likes this.