DETAINED by NPS

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Recreation' started by bennyking9987, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Bill Sampson

Bill Sampson Well-Known Member

This ranger was definitely having a bad day.

2. birdsnest

birdsnest Well-Known Member

Although I am making fun there is no doubt that would be a very trying job but a professional posture must be maintained or you are not suited for the job. I couldn't do it.

Powder Hound and Ryan like this.
  3. Tiff Mapel

Tiff Mapel Active Member

I think this is a good lesson for all of us--next time you visit Dangling Rope, mind your Ps and Qs. Don't even think about feeding those monster carp, or batting spiders into the water. However, when I de-spider my boat on the buoy, it's "game on." That goes for the empty bird nest we find each year in our shade screen too. Or, should I carefully collect each spider in a jar, then go over to shore to release them--since it's the public swim beach, being right across from our buoy? I'll bet that would create a buzz....

Bill Sampson and Lake Bum like this.
  4. bw56

bw56 Member

I have to tell you in San Diego we hire biologists to remove rats, rattlesnakes(all snakes), mice and gophers from new construction sites. A lot of crazy in my opinion. Soon it may be spiders.

Bill Sampson likes this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Well-Known Member

This story is amazing. The first question that comes to my mind is why the inconsistency? If it's "bad" to kill spiders at Dangling rope the day you were there, why has it not been bad any other day that anyone on this website has been there? And you are truly not allowed to feed the carp? Again, if this is the law, the NPS could write 100 tickets a day all summer - why only this time? Why did he pick on you? I have to assume the officer was just having a really bad day - if not, this is just ridiculous. Either way, the report deserves being taken up the chain if only in an FYI telephone call.

Bill Sampson and Ryan like this.
  6. birdsnest

Instead of releasing the spiders you have in the jar you could go down to dr and give them to the ranger that seems to have a close connection to them and yes pegasus, you are right, it is ridiculous

7. colorado

colorado Member

I thought you could chum when fishing for strippers.

Ron McKinney likes this.
  8. hook up!!

hook up!! Active Member

I bet the nps dude uses bug spray

Regal95 likes this.
  9. Buffalo

Buffalo Member

10. Waterbaby

Waterbaby Administrator Staff Member

So does this mean kids no longer hang over the side and feed ice cream to the carp? I cannot ever remember being at DR that someone isn't feeding the carp.

Cookie, Leardriver and Bill Sampson like this.
  11. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Either the ranger was having a bad day, or he should not be employed! Typical loser, I have a badge syndrome! probably not even qualified to serve the ice cream!

Bill Sampson likes this.
  12. Grant Stevens - USBR

Grant Stevens - USBR Well-Known Member

Lectured and detained for 30 minutes? This NPS ranger has to go.

Also, in regards to the laws, are insects considered wildlife?

When I refuelled at DR this year, I noticed the pumps had multiple spiderwebs each with very large spiders. At the time I wondered why the DR staff was not cleaning the pumps. Now I know it was likely the same NPS ranger is harassing the staff.

13. ScottF

ScottF Active Member

I second the "troll" post. Check out bennyking's profile.

14. weeds

weeds Well-Known Member

Just now saw this. Been running back and forth between Fountain Hills and Antelope Point for the past couple months.

I'm guessing he'd have a total break down if I swung over the marina in a Thrush Commander and a few hundred gallons of methelparathion organophosphate insecticide spray.
    Ok..... over the top. Don't want to harm the fish.
    I've been feeding the carp for a long time with those lovable, crazy arachnids.
    The officer needs some self imposed time-off to get in touch with reality.
    He can't get in touch with his inner self...it would appear that ship sailed a few years ago.
    Left the building...and now resides on Pluto........or North Korea.

What about the poor gnat?

TR. and botnb like this.
  15. birdsnest

He gives spider man a whole new meaning.

botnb likes this.
  16. Grant Stevens - USBR

Grant Stevens - USBR Well-Known Member

Gnats Lives Matter!

TR. and weeds like this.
  17. Waterbaby

Waterbaby Administrator Staff Member

Definitely a troll, has not even been back since he posted this. Guess I'll leave it for now, but it didn't sound right because everyone and their brother feed the carp at DR - always have - and the only thing I've seen the rangers there get uptight about is people walking their dogs on the docks [and yes, it is posted no animals on the docks].

Meatwagon and Bill Sampson like this.
  18. Skibum

Skibum Member

Seems to be a troll....but, I hate to say, last summer and the summer before, there actually were rangers at DR enforcing the purported "no feeding the carp" rule. Years ago there was a lady ranger that made it her job also. There have been a few big stripers swimming with the carp from time to time. More than once I have seen guys lay on the dock extending their head over the water holding an anchovie in their teeth. Works, but only quick reflexes keeps your nose intact. No one bothered these fools. It always seemed to be little kids that were targeted for admonishment. I refer to rangers that have that attitude as having the "crossing guard syndrome"...it's not always an easy job, but come on, kids?

19. TR.

TR. Well-Known Member

There is a guy I know who will get a carp on the fly at DR and let any kids around fight it in. Worth the smiles.

TR

Ryan and Bill Sampson like this.
  20. Lake Bum

Lake Bum Well-Known Member

Last summer, I watched a gentleman offer a group of kids a $5 bounty, to any fish they could jump in and catch at Dangling Rope. I think 4 tried......none were successful, but it made for great entertainment! :cool:

Bill Sampson and TR. like this.