Default Lake level in the Navionics app

Maverick5207

I have the paid subscription to the Navionics app on my phone. What is the default lake level for Lake Powell in the Navionics App? I read one place that it is 3600 asl but I read someplace else that it is 3606? Does someone have the definitive answer?

Dworwood

Full pool on my electronics is 3700' for LP, not sure what default means but that is my units default? I have to put a minus amount in to equal what the current lake level is when I am there. So today with the lake at 3598 I would put a - 102 feet in lake offset. Don't know if that helps but that's my two cents worth.

svivian

Either one should be fine to start but i do believe its 3606 for Navionics. Once you are there use your Depth finder if you have one to dial down the depth so its as accurate as possible. Your Depth finder should match what the reading on your navionics is saying for the exact same spot. Hope that helps.

Maverick5207

Full pool on my electronics is 3700' for LP, not sure what default means but that is my units default? I have to put a minus amount in to equal what the current lake level is when I am there. So today with the lake at 3598 I would put a - 102 feet in lake offset. Don't know if that helps but that's my two cents worth.
When Navionics surveyed Powell, it was at a certain elevation and that's what they defaulted their maps to. They didn't start at full pool as you would expect. They wrote their maps based on the lake level at the time of the survey which was somewhere around 3606 feet above sea level.

Last edited:

Dungee Fishing

When you use the chip does your hummingbird just go off of the surveyed depth? Or does your transducer still read in real time and on the gps setting it shows the edges? Does that make sense?

Dworwood

When Navionics surveyed Powell, it was at a certain elevation and that's what they defaulted their maps to. They didn't start at full pool as you would expect. The wrote their maps based on the lake level at the time of the survey which was somewhere around 3606 feet above sea level.
That makes total sense, I had not heard that before. So if the lake rises you have to adjust up not down. Learn something everyday. Thanks for explaining that.

Maverick5207

That makes total sense, I had not heard that before. So if the lake rises you have to adjust up not down. Learn something everyday. Thanks for explaining that.
I'm learning this as I go along. The link below is how I got started with the Navionics App. I feel its the best safety feature I have.

Dworwood

I'm learning this as I go along. The link below is how I got started with the Navionics App. I feel its the best safety feature I have.

I have the lake master maps and agree with you, I feel much safer than ever before but still they are not perfect, you still have to pay attention but I have gone back to the marina in near dark conditions following the channel line on my graph. Never would have attempted that before. Not sure how we survived before all this technology! 😉

Maverick5207

I have the lake master maps and agree with you, I feel much safer than ever before but still they are not perfect, you still have to pay attention but I have gone back to the marina in near dark conditions following the channel line on my graph. Never would have attempted that before. Not sure how we survived before all this technology! 😉
I don't know how you guys did it. I've only been to Powell 4 times so far and I know for sure that without knowing exactly where the main channels are, I would have been on the rocks. No question in my mind. The app even helps me at times choose where to fish and what to throw because it shows me points and places that could possibly hold fish.

Dorado

When you use the chip does your hummingbird just go off of the surveyed depth? Or does your transducer still read in real time and on the gps setting it shows the edges? Does that make sense?
Your sonar will show the actual measured depth. The chart will give you the surveyed depth and you position on the map, but you still have the actual depth displayed from your sonar. I mess around with the lake level setting to set it close to what the sonar says. Did I answer the question you were asking? ;)

Dungee Fishing

Your sonar will show the actual measured depth. The chart will give you the surveyed depth and you position on the map, but you still have the actual depth displayed from your sonar. I mess around with the lake level setting to set it close to what the sonar says. Did I answer the question you were asking? ;)
Yes perfectly! GPS setting goes off the chip, sonar still shows real time depth. Thanks Dorado!

Maverick5207

Ok. I can't get the Navionics App and my new Garmin to read the same depths. I wrote an email to Navionics and I received this as a reply.
Now I'm really confused.....

Thank you for contacting Navionics. Lake Powell, AZ was originally surveyed between the Pool elevation of 3597.85 - 3609.39, but Navionics current charting (not including the SonarCharts) for the freshwater lakes (not including the Great Lakes) are done in full pool elevation.

Seasonal changes or yearly changes to pool elevations - such as spring levels, summer levels, droughts or over abundance - are not reflected on our charting. These differences in pool levels would need to be calculated when reviewing the current lake levels that can be found on the government's website listings for each individual lake. Currently there is no unit function that allows for these calculation changes.

So what does that mean?

Dungee Fishing

Ok. I can't get the Navionics App and my new Garmin to read the same depths. I wrote an email to Navionics and I received this as a reply.

Thank you for contacting Navionics. Lake Powell, AZ was originally surveyed between the Pool elevation of 3597.85 - 3609.39, but Navionics current charting (not including the SonarCharts) for the freshwater lakes (not including the Great Lakes) are done in full pool elevation.

Seasonal changes or yearly changes to pool elevations - such as spring levels, summer levels, droughts or over abundance - are not reflected on our charting. These differences in pool levels would need to be calculated when reviewing the current lake levels that can be found on the government's website listings for each individual lake. Currently there is no unit function that allows for these calculation changes.

So what does that mean?
To me that says, ‘check the current lake level and adjust the navionics chip prior to each use.’

Meatwagon

Currently there is no unit function that allows for these calculation changes
This sounds like you are unable to change the lake level. That being said, I seem to remember someone mentioning being able color code a certain depth contour. If that is available with this application then you could color everything down to 103ft and that would get you real close to the current shore line. It won't change the depth reading however, just shade everything out of the water. Hopefully someone that's using this can be more helpful.

Meatwagon

The lake is 103ft low,so you'll need to adjust-103ft.I am not familiar with that app, I use the Hummingbird Lakemaster chip. If you look at the homepage and click on the water database link, it will give you the most recent lake level.

ScottF

So what does that mean?
There are two ways to know by how much to set the correction factor on your Navionics app. First, as mentioned in the response you got from Navionics, look up the current level on the Lake Powell Water Database and set your correction to the difference between this level and 3600 (or 3606 per another poster, or 3700' as suggested by Navionics). Or second, while on the lake subtract the depth shown on your Navionics App from the depth shown on your depth finder and set this correction to the Navionics app. That is, if your depth finder shows 30' and the Navionics app shows 40' set the correction to -10'.

Both methods give the same result for me, so I must either be using the Sonar Charts or my charts haven't been updated to the full pool elevation Navionics referred to. Currently, I set my correction factor to -3'. In any case, you can't go wrong using the second method to set your correction factor, and it's easier.

Last edited:

Meatwagon

As mentioned above, anytime that I am on a lake and not sure how low it is I'll use the second method mentioned. I will place the boat over a contour on the map replace1 (2).pngthen I adjust it so that the contour depth matches the actual depth of the transducer. So if the contour says say 40ft I would subtract 26ft so it was 14ft the same as the transducer. I hope that makes sense. replace2 (2).png