• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Dangling rope fuel open by week of July 11th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_on_WD

The dock was ripped in half. That day had 40 mph winds in Page, and 50 mph winds were reported on the lake.

The cables that held the dock in place were either ripped out of the rocks, or simply parted. In any case, the webcam view showed the far end of the docks separated from the marina store end, with the gas docks blown over to the east. They managed to get the 2 ends wrestled back to where they touched again, but they were still at a 45 degree angle.

Since then the fuel barges have been removed, and ALL OPERATIONS at Dangling Rope have been CANCELLED. There is no reason to go there, because EVERYTHING IS CLOSED.

There is no estimated date of completion for any repairs. It is probably best not to get your hopes up.

Jackalope

When I was there the Thursday before the break, I got gas. The wind was blowing but it was ~ 20 in that cove. The lake was blowing about 40 in some spots. The wind shifted and it got bad. Well, Kellogg's decided to show up and, Snap, Crackle, and Pop had a little fun.
Still most of the structure is there and can be cut and welded back.

Skibum

Remember that everything is closed, not just fuel. No store, no pump out, no restrooms, no drinking water, no snack bar, no soft serve, no ice. Nothing!

My understanding is the canyon is closed off completely.
Unless it has changed since last week, a friend didnt know it was closed and motored in for ice cream. Talk about a bummer...He said the canyon was not marked off as closed. He slips his HB @ AP so evidently no signs posted there either.

One would think Aramark has a lot of monetary skin in this game and would devise some temporary fix as all of their HB rentals will limited range without carrying a lot of cans. Their monetary loss from me on ice cream alone is significant....😎

Ed_on_WD

I did see a runabout motoring away from the docks on the Dangling Rope webcam. So, they have not closed off the canyon.

Antelope Point is a competitor to Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas (Aramark). You would think it would be in their best interests to point out the closure of Dangling Rope. They'd probably sell more out of the AP Fuel Dock and AP Marina Store if more people were aware of the DR closure.

Let's hope the word gets around. It's a long way to go, just to discover that the fuel you counted on is not available. It kind of makes me wonder how many rescue runs Aramark has had to make to refuel empty Wahweap rentals.

Ryan

a friend didnt know it was closed and motored in for ice cream
When we went to the lake in April, DR was closed that trip as well. I remember signs on the highway coming in to Bullfrog, signs at the guard shack, and one at the launch ramp. I'd assume they would do the same thing this time. Really not sure how much more they could do to inform people it is closed?

Unless it has changed since last week, a friend didnt know it was closed and motored in for ice cream. Talk about a bummer...He said the canyon was not marked off as closed. He slips his HB @ AP so evidently no signs posted there either.

One would think Aramark has a lot of monetary skin in this game and would devise some temporary fix as all of their HB rentals will limited range without carrying a lot of cans. Their monetary loss from me on ice cream alone is significant....😎
Last week there was several yellow buoys at the entrance to the canyon marked “no fuel” but that was the only notice I saw regarding Dangling Rope being closed besides the park service website. I was severely disappointed that I didn’t get to try any of the famous ice cream.

nzaugg

I have always thought that a big resupply boat that went up and down the lake all week with fuel, ice, and ice cream could be fairly lucrative!

Ryan

I have always thought that a big resupply boat that went up and down the lake all week with fuel, ice, and ice cream could be fairly lucrative!
We’ve been saying that for years. Add in some basic mechanic services and maybe parts like impellers and you could charge about whatever you want.

nzaugg

We’ve been saying that for years. Add in some basic mechanic services and maybe parts like impellers and you could charge about whatever you want.
When I saw the boat head up to Good Hope to pump out the restroom, I was thinking what a nice bunch of mobile services you could have. Aramark/NPS don't have a complete monopoly on services on the lake. There is a long list of potential commercial uses here: Commercial Use Authorization - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

The uses include minor boat/vessel repair and mobile food and beverage services. Currently, the only mobile food and beverage service is Big Water BBQ and it appears to be a food truck only. There are 23 authorized repair services.

Determining what would require a concessionaire contract would be challenging though. Would services be allowed to move up and down the lake without being hailed or under contract first? What is the magnitude of the operation that would be permitted. Of course, I could be totally ignorant of potential for concessionaires and commercial entities to be in conflict. Also, it would be hard to make the investment without any kind of certainty of lake operations. Plus, whoever runs it would have to really love running the lake, including during the rough water afternoons.

Peto

I could see repair services being a profitable undertaking but who goes up lake without bringing their own food and beverage?

stevenk2

If memory serves (and it may not), I believe that Lake Havasu has a floating concession stand that they run through the channel. Of course, Lake Havasu isn't a national park either.........

Ed_on_WD

I've read that the Wahweap docks have been moved out another 60 feet from shore. Good deal, especially for the unfortunate souls who had their boats trapped.

I've also seen reports that the floating restroom behind Dominguez Butte has been dragged down to the water and returned to service. Bravo!

I keep checking the Dangling Rope webcam, hoping to see evidence of dock repairs about to start. Nothing yet.

I did see the "Push Toy", the big boat with the elevated wheelhouse that moves the fuel and supply barges, on the Stateline webcam. Do they barge fuel all the way to Bullfrog from Wahweap?

Richard

I've read that the Wahweap docks have been moved out another 60 feet from shore. Good deal, especially for the unfortunate souls who had their boats trapped.

I've also seen reports that the floating restroom behind Dominguez Butte has been dragged down to the water and returned to service. Bravo!

I keep checking the Dangling Rope webcam, hoping to see evidence of dock repairs about to start. Nothing yet.

I did see the "Push Toy", the big boat with the elevated wheelhouse that moves the fuel and supply barges, on the Stateline webcam. Do they barge fuel all the way to Bullfrog from Wahweap?
Bullfrog gas is supplied by tanker truck -- so not coming up river

Status
Not open for further replies.