• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Dangling rope fuel open by week of July 11th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenk2

I've been watching the various DR threads on the forum, but is there any hope of the fuel dock there being open by the week of July 11th? Trying to plan our vacation activities for that week when we're down there, and it's likely Rainbow Bridge will be off the table if we can't refuel at DR.

Line

I have heard July 4th being thrown around as a potential opening date. But this is hearsay from a Facebook group, and they must have their reasons for not setting an opening date. I have also heard they are waiting for steel and parts from China to be shipped which could be unpredictable. Edit: the steel was hearsay and not a reliable source.

Last edited:

stevenk2

Thanks for the info, everyone - I'll keep my fingers crossed for the 4th, not only for me, but for everyone.

Ed_on_WD

Remember that everything is closed, not just fuel. No store, no pump out, no restrooms, no drinking water, no snack bar, no soft serve, no ice. Nothing!

My understanding is the canyon is closed off completely.

Last edited:

Chemosabe

I have heard July 4th being thrown around as a potential opening date. But this is hearsay from a Facebook group, and they must have their reasons for not setting an opening date. I have also heard they are waiting for steel and parts from China to be shipped which could be unpredictable.
I hope not, but they probably went low bid. Chinese steel presents a real and significant risk of needing to rebuild in the future.

This is not a political opinion.

Ed_on_WD

Page Steel is just at the edge of town. It is visible from the stoplight at Coppermine Rd. and Highway 98, next to the ice plant.

If Aramark wanted to repair the dock in time to save the season, Page Steel is right there, and my guess is that this wouldn't be the first time they fabricated pieces for a dock repair.

True, Chinese parts would probably be cheaper. But, if it takes so long to get them ordered, fabricated , shipped, and installed that they miss "peak season", how is that smart business management?

Think about it.

Jackalope

Not sure where you got the idea that the parts are coming from China ... HA!

There is limited people to work on things like the docks. Wahweep is about to be moved and once that has been done and set, there will be people to work on DR.

Page Steel is just at the edge of town. It is visible from the stoplight at Coppermine Rd. and Highway 98, next to the ice plant.

If Aramark wanted to repair the dock in time to save the season, Page Steel is right there, and my guess is that this wouldn't be the first time they fabricated pieces for a dock repair.

True, Chinese parts would probably be cheaper. But, if it takes so long to get them ordered, fabricated , shipped, and installed that they miss "peak season", how is that smart business management?

Think about it.
Added to that, the Suez Canal was blocked for nearly a week in late March. Apparently, 12% of global trade passes through the canal each day.

Ed_on_WD

True, but the Suez Canal Authority has no other operations. Getting ships from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea is their sole purpose for existence.

Dangling Rope Marina is a National Park Service concession operated by Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the multinational corporation Aramark. Aramark is a huge player in the hospitality industry, mostly in the industrial food service and laundry sectors, catering to schools, hospitals, prisons and sports stadiums.

Aramark has "many irons in the fire", so to speak. The last year I can find figures for was 2018, during which they showed over $14 billion in revenue. They are listed as the 27th largest employer in the Fortune 500.

In their overall view, what happens to boaters who can't use Dangling Rope Marina is very "small potatoes". Income generated at Dangling Rope in the course of a year represents a rounding error in their big picture.

I am not an anti business guy, far from it. But, being realistic, I don't think any board member is going to be ousted if the DR marina fuel docks don't get fixed this season.

broski

True, but the Suez Canal Authority has no other operations. Getting ships from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea is their sole purpose for existence.

Dangling Rope Marina is a National Park Service concession operated by Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the multinational corporation Aramark. Aramark is a huge player in the hospitality industry, mostly in the industrial food service and laundry sectors, catering to schools, hospitals, prisons and sports stadiums.

Aramark has "many irons in the fire", so to speak. The last year I can find figures for was 2018, during which they showed over $14 billion in revenue. They are listed as the 27th largest employer in the Fortune 500.

In their overall view, what happens to boaters who can't use Dangling Rope Marina is very "small potatoes". Income generated at Dangling Rope in the course of a year represents a rounding error in their big picture.

I am not an anti business guy, far from it. But, being realistic, I don't think any board member is going to be ousted if the DR marina fuel docks don't get fixed this season.
What Ed said...to a "T" sadly!!! It's kinda like when you call up DirecTV or Dish Network, and want to cancel your service...they MAY try to retain you with special incentives once or twice, but in the big picture, losing one subscriber @ $200/month means nothing to their bank account! If you are lucky enough to own 15-20+ hotels and use their services, maybe they'll be more attentive!

BartsPlace

Staff member
While there is some operational flexibility and overlap between the two organizations, generally the National Parks Service is responsible for infrastructure at Lake Powell (docks, ramps, restrooms, etc). I also notice that it is NPS posting all of the info about Dangling Rope being closed. You have to search to even find that info on Aramark's LakePowell.com website. Because of the overlap, I'm not sure who is responsible for putting DR back together, but it may not be Aramark.

broski

While there is some operational flexibility and overlap between the two organizations, generally the National Parks Service is responsible for infrastructure at Lake Powell (docks, ramps, restrooms, etc). I also notice that it is NPS posting all of the info about Dangling Rope being closed. You have to search to even find that info on Aramark's LakePowell.com website. Because of the overlap, I'm not sure who is responsible for putting DR back together, but it may not be Aramark.
Interesting point and observation, Bart. If NPS is in charge of the docks and infrastructure, and Aramark is just a tenant, then a lot of peeps may be spot on in this conversation....it's not worth EITHER entity to actually fix DR... the NPS (unlike many other recipients of federal funding lately) is operating on a shoestring budget, so if Aramark's rent and commissions paid to NPS don't outweigh the NPS outlay of expense for repairs, then why would they (NPS) fix it, even once they have the resources? Quite the pickle for sure!

Aramark. $14 BILLION revenue? And there was me thinking they just ran a few worn out lodgings and restaurants. I must dig deeper.

stevenk2

All I know is that it presents a significant concern for a lot of boaters with normal/average-sized fuel tanks - even with a couple extra fuel tins on board, it only extends your range a little (relative to the overall size of the lake). And carrying a couple of those 5 gallon tins is problematic anyways, both from a safety and logistical point of view as well. Round trip from Wahweap to Rainbow Bridge is 90 miles; my boat's range is 110-120 miles (depending on conditions). Which is cutting it a bit too close in my book - I'd much rather make one leg of the trip, swing by DR on the way back and top off, then there's no question we'd make it back to Wahweap without running out of fuel.

Bottom line, it's a safety concern for me and my family to explore the far reaches of the lake with DR being down. The only option as far as I'm concerned is to make alternate plans and not visit Rainbow Bridge this year. Which is disappointing, but not the end of the world - I'd much rather spend time nearer to Wahweap and enjoy playing out on the lake and make it back with fuel to spare than to risk running the 90 miles and make it back on fumes, worrying the entire time we're out if we're going to actually make it home without needing to call for a tow.

stevenk2

With all the gas cans people are going to be strapping to their boats I predict an increase in boat fires this year.....
Definitely one concern for sure. Also, my fuel filler cap is on the side of the boat (i.e. vertically mounted), so I have no idea how we'd empty those 5 gallon fuel tins into the tank other than to pull up on a beach along the way. Even then, I fully expect that there may be at least a few drops of gas that end up in the water or on the beach, which is not good either.

I feel for the folks that are responsible for repairing/rebuilding the facilities there at DR - given the location, the logistics involved in getting repairs done are a major headache, I have no doubt. But it sure creates a bunch of headaches for boaters when they're not in operation.

Outside

What kind of damage? What kind of wind event?——- never mind
1623197615132.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.