Could be Worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowellBride

Staff member
So we get to the buoy field and those nice new balls are sitting high in the water all around us......but where is our ball? Nothing above the surface? Did they leave the old ball on since we were in the field all winter?

Nope there it is a good foot or more under water, the cable is perpendicular! We CANT GET OFF the buoy, the drag is drag has too much tension on the cable

Long story short. Exec Services thinks the drag is a houseboat.

To be continued after sunrise today. Assuming we’re not to dizzy to stand. You REALLY spin when you don’t have a little slack on that cable and winds were miserable last night

Attachments

• DFFB656C-7FD2-4B36-BAC2-5D46EB30E370.jpeg
    DFFB656C-7FD2-4B36-BAC2-5D46EB30E370.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 242
  • B5E9A7B4-E9BB-4DC5-92A3-8E5D319D006D.jpeg
    B5E9A7B4-E9BB-4DC5-92A3-8E5D319D006D.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 244
So we get to the buoy field and those nice new balls are sitting high in the water all around us......but where is our ball? Nothing above the surface? Did they leave the old ball on since we were in the field all winter?

Nope there it is a good foot or more under water, the cable is perpendicular! We CANT GET OFF the buoy, the drag is drag has too much tension on the cable

Long story short. Exec Services thinks the drag is a houseboat.

To be continued after sunrise today. Assuming we’re not to dizzy to stand. You REALLY spin when you don’t have a little slack on that cable and winds were miserable last night
Wow if it really is a houseboat.

"Exec thinks the drag is a houseboat" ? As in a houseboat went down and is putting more strain on the ball/cables than it should?

I hope they get it figured out. Soon.

same thing happened many years ago -- I think it was at bullfrog, but might have been up at hite -- poor engineering on the field -- one houseboat sunk causing the whole buoy field to start sinking -- If I recall something like 12 houseboats went down before all was done.
does anyone remember that?

"Exec thinks the drag is a houseboat" ? As in a houseboat went down and is putting more strain on the ball/cables than it should?

I hope they get it figured out. Soon.
Yes, like there is a submerged boat pulling it down. We cruised around our boat yesterday and we can see other submerged balls. I originally thought they left some of the old grid in

At first I was going to ask how that could possibly happen. And then I remembered who we were dealing with. Insane.
Lots more sinking in recent years than I remember from years past. 3 sank at Halls last year that I know of.

Lots more sinking in recent years than I remember from years past. 3 sank at Halls last year that I know of.
Believe me, I know first hand that boats do sink in the bouy field. But in my experience, they don't go all the way down at a speed that would prevent Exec from doing something about it. And by doing something about it I am not saying preventing the sinking. But they can get them off the bouy field and to shore to prevent the boat from sinking in deep water and causing issues for all the other boat owners.

When our boat sank in the field, I am pretty sure the only reason that they got it to shore was because an owner was around and made them do it.

We were just laughing to ourselves a week ago when we were on our boat in the slip in the huge winds and white caps - it sounded like the entire boat bridge was going to blow away and the dock lines were going to snap it was blowing so hard (we are side tied only). But if we had showed up 12 hours later and got on the boat, we would have never known what the boat had gone through in the storm 12 hours earlier. In other words, its amazing what our boats go through while on the buoy or in the slip when we are not present - then we show up and always expect the boat to be just as we left it a month earlier. During that month we are away the boat likely experiences many harrowing stories to tell if only she could talk!

That buoy pulled underwater in the photo obviously has a large amount of energy holding it down - I can see why they can't just cut the cable from below the buoy, but between the buoy and the boat seems feasible (with proper safety precautions taken). Sad for the sunken boat owner - but hope your boat can be moved without issue this morning. I can see how a smaller boat that yours could have been taken down along with the other sunk one in the domino effect mentioned above. -Doug

On Tuesday they started the recovery efforts, had barges out in the buoy field all day, and they left them overnight. Unfortunately we had to leave early on Wednesday, so we don't know the outcome

Attachments

• IMG_7788.JPG
    IMG_7788.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7786.JPG
    IMG_7786.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 198
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back