• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Certified Scales

Rivergoer

Wayne’s recent post of a very large striper reminded me of a question.

Is there a way to have a personal fishing scale kept onboard that’s certified (bi-annually or annually?) via Game and Fish or DWR? If so what’s the cost and process?

Many parts of the lake are so remote it would be nice if one could do a certified weigh in (should he/she be fortunate to land a big one) without having to break camp and run the distance back to Wahweap or Bullfrog.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Utah scales center will gladly sale you one and maintain the certification of it. No idea what that would cost.
Yes the scale company does the certification. I am not sure of the cost. Just ask that question when you purchase a scale with catching a trophy fish in mind. There are definitely some lake record fish still swimming out there. Largemouth bass may not be large enough to exceed the 10 pound 2 ounce record but the smallmouth record (5 pounds 6 ounces) is most likely to broken soon. The green sunfish record ( 14.7 ounces) is vulnerable as well. Here is a list of the current lake record fish:

SPECIES YEAR WEIGHT Length Angler Location

Largemouth Bass* 1974 10 lbs 2 oz 24 in Sam LaManna Warm Creek

Smallmouth Bass 2001 5 lbs 6 oz 19 in Eric Inman Lone Rock

Striped bass 1991 48 lbs 11 oz 45 inches Travis Jenson Wilson Creek

Black Crappie* 2009 3 lbs 5 oz 18.5 inches James Maack Escalante Striped Bass

Walleye 1991 9 lbs 15 oz 28 inches Lannie Sitterud Two Mile Canyon

Green Sunfish 1996 14.7 oz 10 inches Ed Goitia Rock Creek

Channel Catfish 2020 18.45 pounds, 33 inches, Bruce Fenton, Padre Bay (March 19, 2020)

Northern Pike 1994 20 lbs 8 oz 42 inches Lloyd Knuckles North Wash

Tiger Muskie 2003 24 lbs

Rainbow Trout 1976 16 lbs 11 oz 32 inches LARRY LAWLESS Wahweap Bay

Brown Trout 1970 17 lbs ? Marv Smith Wahweap Bay

Carp* 1993 32 lbs ? Cougar Elfervig Bullfrog Bay

Dworwood

It looks very much like ones we all have used, it is tubular like the inexpensive fish grippers with a scale built in. Looks just like that one, wish I had a picture. Maybe I can copy their quote and put it on here. I will try later

Dworwood

To follow up on this thread, I did buy a certified scale so if I am on the north end and you need a fish weighed you will have to find me! I would be more than happy to weigh it and witness it. I hope someone needs it this spring. We may not catch a record but it will be fun to know for sure what we are catching as far as weight goes. It just needs to be checked every couple of years to make sure it is still “on”. It can be done more often but they said it depends on how much use they get or if it is used for commercial sales.

Havalina

Dworwood,

Would you mind getting average weights for the stripers you catch. I have a chart, but it is based off of saltwater stripers.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
To follow up on this thread, I did buy a certified scale so if I am on the north end and you need a fish weighed you will have to find me! I would be more than happy to weigh it and witness it. I hope someone needs it this spring. We may not catch a record but it will be fun to know for sure what we are catching as far as weight goes. It just needs to be checked every couple of years to make sure it is still “on”. It can be done more often but they said it depends on how much use they get or if it is used for commercial sales.
Sounds good. Hopefully you will get to test the scale this spring on a few big fish.