• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Cell reception at Bullfrog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreteThomas

I have AT&T which has pretty good coverage in remote areas, but even with a cell booster antenna I get squat on the beach at Bullfrog (Stanton Campground). I can log into free wifi at Halls Crossing but that's a hassle to get to to check in with my people everyday.

Anyone have better luck with Verizon or any other service?

PowellBride

We have Verizon and can generally get phone service in the Halls buoy field, but cellular data is pretty spotty. Seems to be better between 3AM - 5AM than the rest of the day. Though it sometimes does improve when I get in the middle of the bay between Halls & Stanton

Also in years past we found a wifi hot spot had better service than the cellular on the phones, don't know why and haven't had a hot spot down there for a few years

Midwestcamper

I as a new member I asked about cell reception and a member responded that Verizon and ATT had service at the marina. Have camped at halls past 2 years and coming back in a couple of weeks. Last year a worker at halls marina told me she could get service with Verizon. I was concerned in case of emergency. Since I’m upgrading my phone I looked into that service but the monthly rate is double what I pay with consumer cellular. ATT didn’t have the phone I wanted. I didn’t know that halls had free WiFi. How’s the service? Thanks!

BreteThomas

We have Verizon and can generally get phone service in the Halls buoy field, but cellular data is pretty spotty. Seems to be better between 3AM - 5AM than the rest of the day. Though it sometimes does improve when I get in the middle of the bay between Halls & Stanton

Once in a while I can get service in the middle of the bay. It would seem the marinas would be interested in more visitors and therefore get a tower nearby, but then again I guess that's why it's a lot more crowded at the Page end, so I shouldn't complain.

I as a new member I asked about cell reception and a member responded that Verizon and ATT had service at the marina. Have camped at halls past 2 years and coming back in a couple of weeks. Last year a worker at halls marina told me she could get service with Verizon. I was concerned in case of emergency. Since I’m upgrading my phone I looked into that service but the monthly rate is double what I pay with consumer cellular. ATT didn’t have the phone I wanted. I didn’t know that halls had free WiFi. How’s the service? Thanks!

I've never gotten anything like what I would call service at either of those marinas with AT&T. At Halls I can log into their wifi as a guest and get great service as long as I'm within 100 feet of the store. Haven't had any luck with wifi at Bullfrog.

BartsPlace

Staff member
I'm on Verizon and usually have decent (if not always great) service throughout the Bullfrog/Halls area. As for WiFi, I regularly (and successfully) use the service in the covered houseboat slips at Bullfrog. Not sure if they also provide it at the rental/fuel dock.

BreteThomas

I'm on Verizon and usually have decent (if not always great) service throughout the Bullfrog/Halls area. As for WiFi, I regularly (and successfully) use the service in the covered houseboat slips at Bullfrog. Not sure if they also provide it at the rental/fuel dock.
Is a password needed? Halls has guest wifi with no password

Richard

I have ATT and have very spotty service in the north Bullfrog Buoy field. I signed up with Verizon as a test last month. So I had ATT & Verizon at the same time on two Iphones. I found little difference during the day with either service especially when the area is crowded --when on the buoy field.

Both services worked well late a night. In fact that is when my emails would finally load. In so far as searching / Verizon was a tad better than ATT during the day.

Wifi at Bullfrog is great at the newish area in front of Executive Services office. When at Halls Marina I generally also have good success.

As other have said -- No password needed.

BreteThomas

I have ATT and have very spotty service in the north Bullfrog Buoy field. I signed up with Verizon as a test last month. So I had ATT & Verizon at the same time on two Iphones. I found little difference during the day with either service especially when the area is crowded --when on the buoy field.

Both services worked well late a night. In fact that is when my emails would finally load. In so far as searching / Verizon was a tad better than ATT during the day.

Wifi at Bullfrog is great at the newish area in front of Executive Services office. When at Halls Marina I generally also have good success.

As other have said -- No password needed.
That's what I was afraid of. Looks like switching won't be of any value. Just a matter of too many people trying to use the limited resource.

Richard

That's my take on it -- When we are at the lake in October / November - April etc.. generally not an issue

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

I wonder why? There's nothing out there. I've noticed that I suddenly receive email out of the blue somewhere in the middle of the lake but wasn't sure where that was happening
Anytime you can see Navajo Mountain, you will have service. Very clear view of Navajo from the spot mentioned above.

And my experience is significantly different than @Richard. I'm not in the buoy field, instead in the slips. We have friends that do one trip a year with us. One individual is an executive and can't really get away from emails/phone calls. She has both an AT&T iPhone and a Verizon iPhone. She never uses the AT&T phone. True at the Bullfrog slips, and also true when we have to go find a view of Navajo mountain a couple times a day when we are out on the lake.

BreteThomas

Anytime you can see Navajo Mountain, you will have service. Very clear view of Navajo from the spot mentioned above.

And my experience is significantly different than @Richard. I'm not in the buoy field, instead in the slips. We have friends that do one trip a year with us. One individual is an executive and can't really get away from emails/phone calls. She has both an AT&T iPhone and a Verizon iPhone. She never uses the AT&T phone. True at the Bullfrog slips, and also true when we have to go find a view of Navajo mountain a couple times a day when we are out on the lake.
are you saying the Navajo Mountain technique does not work with AT&t? It's not clear

PowellBride

Our experience is that success with the Navajo Mountain view is better with Verizon. With Verizon if you can see Navajo (even just a glimmer) we get service. The friend who joins us that has ATT will frequently borrow a Verizon phone - even with Navajo in sight.

Dave I.

When we moved to Hanksville, we had Consumer Cellular ( ultimately ATT) and it worked OK for phone calls but any kind of data, even pictures via text were not possible. We had to swap to Verizon because it is the only service that is reliable in the entire area including the lake

Now, with the lake and the cell reception, if you even think of loosing sight of Navajo Mountain, you will loose coverage. But every time I go to the lake, or even Ticaboo, (which is pretty often) my phone will start blowing up before I reach the Tony M. turn off, but I won't check my messages until I reach the BBQ shack just because it comes and goes. But again, if you can see Navajo Mountain, you should have coverage with Verizon. Other carriers, I have heard, is questionable. If you have Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. Might as well shut off your phones when you leave Hanksville.

Richard

That was one of the reasons why I qualified where I did the test between the two carriers-- Its amazing the difference location can make even by a mile or less -- I did not try the Verizon service in the slips as we are always on the buoy field - My AT&T works great -- at the slips when I pick up the WiFi signal at the seating area in front of executive services -- to bad the WiFi doesn't reach the buoy field !

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.