CBS News: Nevada lawmakers ban all non-functional grass in effort to reduce impact of mega-drought

querulous

Good to see, of course, but Las Vegas really ain't the big problem. As many have noted, agricultural uses are the big gorilla. And in the less important sphere of urban water use reduction, there's a lot more water-fat to cut in southern California than in southern Nevada.
I recall crossing the international border into Southern California after spending a few weeks in the interior of Baja California, and being really struck by all the green lawns in the desert. Mexicans aren't into grass, culturally speaking. Just not their thing. Growing grass lawns in an arid climate is in fact pretty weird if one stops to think about it.

flowerbug

Nevada lawmakers ban all non-functional grass in effort to reduce impact of mega-drought​

it needed to be done and it should have been done many years ago, but here it is. Southern California is also gradually putting these kinds of policies in place too, Utah and Arizona also coming along. it is the new reality and they've finally been forced to do it. the transition and changes it brings take years but it does save a huge amount of water even if the water was coming from recycled water that recycled water could instead be turned into potable water.

flowerbug

I was just in California 10 days ago and seen “flood irritation” practicing in the desert North of Barstow. Sq

it takes a lot of $ to change that, plus then you have to figure out the water rights issues that creates. it will change eventually - just a matter of when.

Steve Moore

I was just in California 10 days ago and seen “flood irritation” practicing in the desert North of Barstow. Sq
They will do that in Yuma. But it’s more for composting the last crop quicker. They can flip a crop in about 10 days using the flooding of the field. They don’t leave it flooded but a couple days so it can dry enough to turn and get to replanting