• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Catching doubles deep jigging.

SDPJ

Here’s a tutorial/fishing music video I made demonstrating how to double your fish count jigging with spoons and tubes. The footage was not captured on Powell but the concept is most applicable to Powell. The footage is from Senators Wash reservoir in California which is at the very bottom end of the Colorado River system, just before the water gets sucked up by big Agri. So at one point, that water was in Powell. They pump the river water a hundred yards uphill into the reservoir for storage.
There is some self promotion at the end of the video and if that’s in violation of the forum I can edit that stuff out or accept that you need to remove it.
Enjoy!

SDPJ

What’s your rod and reel choice ?
The one I happened to use the most in that video is a dobyns champion 705CB Glass. 7’ med heavy fast action crank, jerk top water rod with a tranx 200. I have used a dobyns fury 7.3’ 734C which is heavy fast and more suited for jigs. It was gone broken awaiting warranty at the time of the video. The reel that’s been on that rod the most is a tatula 200HD.

Jamman J

I love love using the double trouble rig at Powell.

Two at a time is awesome.

Too find stripes slowly drive around with eyes on sonar. When you get a good mark quickly drop rig into thst zone. Then start retrieve in a small jerking motion for about 20 ft up and then drop back down.

Once you get that first fish on be patient and leave that fighting striper where you hooked it, just wait for another to climb on. And bingo doubles!

At times If fishing is any good doubles are almost automatic once you get on a school

I have gotten doubles on smallmouth as well so works on multiple species.

Never tried double trouble with a spoon before though, sounds like a great way to quickly get into the zone where you are marking fish at.

I’ve always just use two Redrum tubes usually in shad colors. Have caught hundreds of striper this way.

Love learning new tricks cant way to try it with spoon.

Another variation of double trouble is If fish are chasing shad up shallow i use a double fluke rig with two weightless Redrum rip baits, or Zoom Super Flukes. Absolutely deadly at times.

For me i like using at least 15 pound mono line, one about 3 and a half feet long and one 2 and a half feet. Seems to behave better without line twist and tangles for me and striper dont seem to care. I don't use fluorocarbon cause it seems to tangle more with this setup.

To fish double correctly drop it in next to boat to make sure baits dance like a couple if freaked out shads. They should have an amazing frantic action.

Then find some stripes down deep and present to them.

You will get slammed.

94CF69A0-6995-4A79-9E8A-A6021E55065D.jpeg

Rush

The one I happened to use the most in that video is a dobyns champion 705CB Glass. 7’ med heavy fast action crank, jerk top water rod with a tranx 200. I have used a dobyns fury 7.3’ 734C which is heavy fast and more suited for jigs. It was gone broken awaiting warranty at the time of the video. The reel that’s been on that rod the most is a tatula 200HD.
Thanks for the info. I’m ready to buy my first bait cast reel. Coincidentally I order red rum stuff the day before your post.

KYKevin

Thanks for the info. I’m ready to buy my first bait cast reel. Coincidentally I order red rum stuff the day before your post.
Rush
I told my son in law this last trip it was time he learned how to use a baitcaster, after watching him fight his spincast reel when it was freezing up on his braided line 🥵 I love my Shimano reel, I've been using baitcaster's for 37 year's now, I would never use any thing else, they are so smooth. I started using them trout fishing at fish lake in 80 ft of water jigging Splake and Mack's. Been a fan ever since. A birdnest doe's not scare me any more :)

Last edited:

Rush

Rush
I told my son in law this last trip it was time he learned how to use a baitcaster, after watching him fight his spincast reel when it was freezing up on his braided line 🥵 I caught the first 22 Striper's, and was feeling his grief. I love my Shimano reel, I've been using baitcaster's for 37 year's now, I would never use any thing else, they are so smooth. I started using them trout fishing at fish lake in 80 ft of water jigging Splake and Mack's. Been a fan ever since. A birdnest doe's not scare me any more :)
I’m looking online now

SDPJ

What’s your rod and reel choice ?
The one I happened to use the most in that video is a dobyns champion 705CB Glass. 7’ med heavy fast action crank, jerk top water rod with a tranx 200. I have used a dobyns fury 7.3’
😆 no way. You Mark?
the daiwa tatula reels are another reel I like to use. You can get some of those for a few bucks less than the tranx

Rush

The one I happened to use the most in that video is a dobyns champion 705CB Glass. 7’ med heavy fast action crank, jerk top water rod with a tranx 200. I have used a dobyns fury 7.3’

😆 no way. You Mark?
the daiwa tatula reels are another reel I like to use. You can get some of those for a few bucks less than the tranx
Yes this is mark, Pieter?

davew

lots of good rods / reels out there -- asking someone what type of rods they like is similar o asking what type of boat or truck they like --- everyone will have a different opinion -- the best advise is to try the bait casting set up, and when you do, start with a decent quality set up. a decent reel will run you $100 to $150 and a decent rod about the same-- After you try them, if you like them ( give it some time) then do the research and start looking at the more expensive stuff. Or stay with the decent stuff. I spend more on my rods than my reels. I love the G loomis GLX rods, but they cost over $400 each. -- to help afford them, I stick with the $100 to $150 reels ( I like the Garcia revo or the mid range Lews) -- others spend more on reels than rods --- others spend a lot on both. Bottom line -- get out there and try them. -- after you try them, start worrying about how much you plan on spending on them -----

KYKevin

lots of good rods / reels out there -- asking someone what type of rods they like is similar o asking what type of boat or truck they like --- everyone will have a different opinion -- the best advise is to try the bait casting set up, and when you do, start with a decent quality set up. a decent reel will run you $100 to $150 and a decent rod about the same-- After you try them, if you like them ( give it some time) then do the research and start looking at the more expensive stuff. Or stay with the decent stuff. I spend more on my rods than my reels. I love the G loomis GLX rods, but they cost over $400 each. -- to help afford them, I stick with the $100 to $150 reels ( I like the Garcia revo or the mid range Lews) -- others spend more on reels than rods --- others spend a lot on both. Bottom line -- get out there and try them. -- after you try them, start worrying about how much you plan on spending on them -----
There is no way I could pay $400 for a Rod, I have one G loomis, but it was the cheaper one. I have never spent over $230 for a reel either, but the Shimano's last a long time even when a guy like me don't take care of them properly. Not saying I would not like a $400 dollar G Loomis rod, I would just not feel right paying that kind of money for one. I'm sure there nice. The last reel's I have bought are used off of E-bay, and they were like new, for half price 👍

SDPJ

There is no way I could pay $400 for a Rod, I have one G loomis, but it was the cheaper one. I have never spent over $230 for a reel either, but the Shimano's last a long time even when a guy like me don't take care of them properly. Not saying I would not like a $400 dollar G Loomis rod, I would just not feel right paying that kind of money for one. I'm sure there nice. The last reel's I have bought are used off of E-bay, and they were like new, for half price 👍
I have a daiwa tatula I paid $100 for in November 2016. I’ve done all the service on it myself and have replaced bearings a few times. I have fished that reel hard and I still have it and it works great. Definitely paid for itself in less than six months and we’re going on 6 years

KYKevin

I have a daiwa tatula I paid $100 for in November 2016. I’ve done all the service on it myself and have replaced bearings a few times. I have fished that reel hard and I still have it and it works great. Definitely paid for itself in less than six months and we’re going on 6 years
Diawa was the first bait caster that I bought 36 yrs ago, they are good reel's.

davew

my 1st G loomis was a 10ft 5 weight fly rod. I found it broken and discarded at a high mountain lake in New Mexico. I brought it down the mountain with the intention of fixing it. -- this was 20 years ago -- I called G Loomis and asked what material they suggested I use to fix it, and they informed that they had a lifetime warranty on that rod -- I told I was not the original owner and it looked like it was broken from being step on -- the reply ---- does not matter-- we will replace the rod at no cost -- they sent me a new one and all I had to do was mail them back a piece of the old one --- I have been a customer ever since. Their warranty is not as good as it used to be ( they will still send you a new one if you break yours, but it will be at a price discounted off retail) but in my eyes they still make a great rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rush

Thanks for the info. Seems every reel comes with bad and good reviews.