Carey - New Post - New Member

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Carey posted this but it showed up in the wrong place. Carey if you see this we are starting a thread for you.

"
Carey Hi, I am planning a spring fishing trip, and was wondering if the fishing around Bullfrog will be as good as the lower end? “

Yes Carey fishing will be the same at either location. The real secret however is to find the fish and present them with the right bait at the right time. You can go into any of the canyons there and fish in the right spot with great success, or turn into the wrong cove and have no luck at all.

What I do is try to present the right techniques so you go to the right place at the right time and catch fish.

What species would you like to catch and which canyons will you fish? Wayne

Carey

Hello Wayne

We usually fish moki canyon and surrounding area in the fall in October. This will be the first year we fish in the spring. We plan on being there between the 7th to the 12th of May. Looking for stripers, large/small mouth bass and hopefully some crappie. We plan on using anchovies for stripers, and soft plastic jigs on the bass. The same as we did in the fall. Thought we might try to catch some walleye on some flats with a bottom bouncer and night crawler. Any advice or information you could pass along would be appreciated. We have visited your web site in the past and have found it very helpful. We liked the article you have on the night fishing. Last year we had a blast night fishing and plan on doing it again this trip..

Thank you again for fixing my post and putting it in the right place.

Carey

I haven't fished up in that part of the lake, but what you are planning to do will certainly work on the lower lake as far as bass are concerned. I'd also suggest you try fishing drop shot rigs. They work just as well in shallower water as they do down deep. It is absolutely the most consistent way to catch bass on Lake Powell. :)

Ed Gerdemann

mtnpull

I haven't fished up in that part of the lake, but what you are planning to do will certainly work on the lower lake as far as bass are concerned. I'd also suggest you try fishing drop shot rigs. They work just as well in shallower water as they do down deep. It is absolutely the most consistent way to catch bass on Lake Powell. :)

Ed Gerdemann
Ed, I need to spend a day with you on the lake and learn how to drop shot. I've tried it a few times and never really have much success and just go back to throwing jigs, wacky rigs, weightless texas, cranks and spoons. I've heard you talk about drop shot time and again and I just can't get it figured out!

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Carey you have picked the best spring month to go to Bullfrog. Here are just a few of the facts that you have to choose from on learning how, where and what to fish with near Bullfrog in May.

http://archive.wayneswords.com/archive/AC2010BF.htm

This comes from the archived anglers corner reports on the WW home page index. There are many more options to look at . So browse the history to get an idea of what to expect when you come.

Ed, I need to spend a day with you on the lake and learn how to drop shot. I've tried it a few times and never really have much success and just go back to throwing jigs, wacky rigs, weightless texas, cranks and spoons. I've heard you talk about drop shot time and again and I just can't get it figured out!
Carey:

I've posted a message to you on your profile page. If we can work it out I'd certainly enjoy spending a day with you teaching you what I know about drop shotting. I've fished all the methods you mentioned above from time to time as well as a few others, but I've found drop shotting the most consistent technique to take Lake Powell smallmouths. Quite frankly, I probably ought to try other things more often, but it's hard to stay away from a presentation I have so much confidence in. :)

Ed Gerdemann

treetop

Carey:

I've posted a message to you on your profile page. If we can work it out I'd certainly enjoy spending a day with you teaching you what I know about drop shotting. I've fished all the methods you mentioned above from time to time as well as a few others, but I've found drop shotting the most consistent technique to take Lake Powell smallmouths. Quite frankly, I probably ought to try other things more often, but it's hard to stay away from a presentation I have so much confidence in. :)

Ed Gerdemann
Hi Ed, I know how to tie a drop shot and even have a pretty good idea on how to work it, but if you could would you please show a close up photo showing how you hook your shad shaped worms? A list of your top 4 colors would be good too. Always enjoy your posts! Thanks Treetop

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ed, I know how to tie a drop shot and even have a pretty good idea on how to work it, but if you could would you please show a close up photo showing how you hook your shad shaped worms? A list of your top 4 colors would be good too. Always enjoy your posts! Thanks Treetop
I'd be happy to send you a photo except all my drop shotting equipment is locked away at my Lake Powell place and not here in Phoenix. I can tell you that I use a #3 Yamamoto split shot hook which is comparable to most companies' 1/0 size. I would say any 1/0 size circle hook would work fine. I hook the Shad Shaped Worm right through the nose with the point coming out the top of the nose. It's just that simple. I almost always use a 1/4 oz. weight as I can fish with it effectively from just a few feet down to 35 plus feet in calm weather. I have used both 1/8 oz. and 3/8 oz. weights but not often. I prefer the cylinder shaped weights as they don't seem to get hung up as much in rocks and brush as the round and bell shaped weights.

My absolute favorite color is the watermelon (dark green)/white laminate (901 on the Yamamoto color chart). My second favorite color is natural shad (306). I also like watermelon pepper (194) and baby bass (305). Any of the dark green and gray smoke type colors will work well on Lake Powell.

My main advice with anyone new to drop shotting is don't try to do too much with it. When fishing vertical below the boat I just sit there like I'm fishing live bait. The boat rocking or just the natural vibration of the rod imparts all the action that's needed. When fishing it horizontally I just drag it slowly with lots of pauses. When you get hung in the rocks and can't shake it out, keep a tight line as you are going over to get it. I've had many fish hit while the sinker was hung in the rocks. Another thing is if you notice all your hits are coming on the initial drop don't leave the lure in the water very long when you don't get bit. Give it a couple drags, reel it in and cast again.

This tedious fishing is not boring when you put 30-40 bass in the boat on days when no one else is catching much. Please feel free to ask more questions. :)

Ed Gerdemann

That's some great information.., thanks Ed. Do you have a favorite shad shaped worm you prefer? Or size of shad?
Yamamoto only makes a 3.75-inch Shad Shaped Worm. It offers no other sizes in that particular bait. Don't confuse it with the D-Shad which is more of a soft jerk bait and is 5 inches. I'm sure it would work on a drop shot, but the Shad Shaped Worm was specifically designed by Yamamoto for drop shot fishing. The 3 and 4-inch Slim Senkos are also very good drop shot baits. They can be either nose hooked or wacky rigged (hooked through the middle leaving both ends dangling). Yamamoto's smaller Kut Tail worms are also excellent drop shot baits as well. I've caught plenty of bass on all of them, but the Shad Shaped worm has been my favorite since it first came out in 2007. :D

Ed Gerdemann