Canceling fishing trip this weekend - The "oven" will be on high !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Was supposed to spend four nights starting Saturday with a buddy I promised I would take fishing. Had him all jazzed about the boils and how great the fishing has been. Looked at the projected high on the Windfinder app that shows the high at the lake to be 108⁰ on Saturday and a “tad” cooler on Sunday – I made an executive decision – I rescheduled for the fall – I can deal with 102-103 but not any hotter. It looks like Phoenix is supposed to top out at 115-116 depending on whose app you’re looking at

Good luck to whoever is going down in the next week – stay safe (and cool)

Was supposed to spend four nights starting Saturday with a buddy I promised I would take fishing. Had him all jazzed about the boils and how great the fishing has been. Looked at the projected high on the Windfinder app that shows the high at the lake to be 108⁰ on Saturday and a “tad” cooler on Sunday – I made an executive decision – I rescheduled for the fall – I can deal with 102-103 but not any hotter. It looks like Phoenix is supposed to top out at 115-116 depending on whose app you’re looking at

Good luck to whoever is going down in the next week – stay safe (and cool)
I hear you, 90's were hot enough, I'm not that fond of being in the water.

... Had him all jazzed about the boils and how great the fishing has been.
... – I made an executive decision – I rescheduled for the fall –

Your decision is not a bad one. Something to consider: What everyone is calling "boils" right now are more like aggressive slurps. True "boils" begin in the fall. October is usually when you start to see these aggressive, out-of-control, chaotic, noisy boils happening. Remember, adult stripers cannot handle the warm surface temperatures for very long. They come up, slurp (boil) for a minute or two, then go back down. In the fall when surface temperatures come back down, those adults can stay up and chase shad for a very long time.

If you really want to hit some wild boil action, then waiting for cooler temperatures is the right decision.
See you in October.

Your decision is not a bad one. Something to consider: What everyone is calling "boils" right now are more like aggressive slurps. True "boils" begin in the fall. October is usually when you start to see these aggressive, out-of-control, chaotic, noisy boils happening. Remember, adult stripers cannot handle the warm surface temperatures for very long. They come up, slurp (boil) for a minute or two, then go back down. In the fall when surface temperatures come back down, those adults can stay up and chase shad for a very long time.

If you really want to hit some wild boil action, then waiting for cooler temperatures is the right decision.
See you in October.
When you can see them for over a mile knocking Shad out of the water, and you can see them in white cap's, they are''boil's'' not slurp's. Most of us that have fished Striper boil's for 20+ year's, know the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

See you in October.

Very true, best boil we’ve ever fished was in late September, lasted a couple of hours. But, the later true boils are harder to predict and fewer between. Mid July is the best, most consistent top water striper fishing. Second best boils were in mid August. But for us the most predictable top water action has been mid July.

I'm just glad Richard was canceling because of the heat and not because they were slurping instead of boiling :)
I have been lucky enough to fish many, many boil's and in many different month's, I would much rather fish them in the fall, it's just much easier to keep ice, and the weather is just so nice at Powell then.But August has all way's been a great month, if there are a lot of Shad like there are now, they are really fattened up and over the spawn by then.
I might have just gotten over the fear of the heat from talking about boil's, may just have to pack up and take Maverick's advice on the neck cooler thing (y)

KY -- I was at the lake 10 days ago and there were just a few slurps now an than -- I am in full agreement - better BOIL fishing is slightly over the horizon -- I give credit to the guys who can deal with the heat --and I like the neck cooler idea --

It is pretty cool when you can hear the boil before you see it -- the boat "jumps" with excitement!

I was fishing a very aggressive slurp on Monday in the back of Bullfrog . A lot of slurps in Halls creek but they where hard to catch Sunday and Monday.

[QUOTE="Richard, post: 43227, member: 832

It is pretty cool when you can hear the boil before you see it -- the boat "jumps" with excitement!
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: TND
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back