California Gets a Trillion Gallons in Fresh Rainwater and Tosses it in the Ocean

Bart

California just received enough fresh rainwater to entirely end the drought and still set some aside for later, but they still continue to dump water in the ocean .

A giant swath of what used to be called, “the breadbasket of the world” is a desert because Sacramento with the help of Washington refuses to divert water to the farmland.

They got a lot of water this last week, yet with the constant releasing of extra water out the Delta into the ocean, it will not be long before it is all gone.

They have saved over 350 Billion Gallons of water, but are already discussing excuses to release it and lower the water level in the reservoirs. The series of storms already has added 33 billion gallons of water to Lake Tahoe alone.

It will be so sad to watch much of this water blessing California received be poured right into the ocean over the next few months.

Just as California receives this deluge, State Water Resources Control Board wants to raise the amount that California throws away.

http://joeforamerica.com/2017/01/california-rainwater-ocean/

Without storage facilities there is no alternative. Enviromentalists have killed any plans for dams for 50 years and now everyone is paying for it. They want clean energy but won't build the best source. It is frustrating to be a Californian.

Bart

Lefties want to remove the Four existing, Klamath River , green Hydro - dams that provides water for farmers growing food , electricity & water for people. On the California / Oregon border area.

Waterbaby

Staff member
Lefties want to remove the Four existing, Klamath River , green Hydro - dams that provides water for farmers growing food , electricity & water for people. On the California / Oregon border area.
I am pretty sure the new Interior Secretary will not go for those plans......

Dale

We need to build Trump's wall On the west bank of the Colorado River, and shut down the CA pipeline! If they are going to keep dumping all the water it is their problem! We can no longer support stupidity!

Waterbaby

Staff member
We need to build Trump's wall On the west bank of the Colorado River, and shut down the CA pipeline! If they are going to keep dumping all the water it is their problem! We can no longer support stupidity!
They are not dumping Colorado River water they are dumping California Sierra Nevada water and Shasta water.......... and the middle of the Colorado River is California from Needles to the Mexican border so there is no cutting them off Colorado River water even if we wanted to do so... if there is an excess on the Colorado water storage in California the BOR will do what they are doing right now - hold water back in Lake Mead until there is a demand downstream... they don't have a Lake Mead in Northern California - not even anything close to a Lake Mead and as said above they have not built more storage since Brown's father was governor of California back in the 50's.... Southern California draws water from Northern California via an aqueduct, via the Owens River to the San Fernando Valley and via the Colorado river for the southernmost part of the state... there is no waste of Colorado water, there is a waste - always has been a waste of rain water in the state...... part of the problem is silt.. they were forced to remove a dam in Ventura a couple of years ago because the lake it held back had totally silted in... Diamond Lake, which is fed by the Colorado, is in an ideal valley for a lake and it will be generations before it silts in...... and they could build some dams in the northern part of the state, but then you get into the battles of the environmentalists - most of whom reside in the area that would work for a decent dam......

Dale

I agree that they are wasting their own water, but, until the ecowacko commies in California quits wasting water, AZ should insist that they get no CO river water until they conserve what they have!

Waterbaby

Staff member
I agree that they are wasting their own water, but, until the ecowacko commies in California quits wasting water, AZ should insist that they get no CO river water until they conserve what they have!

It is not up to Arizona. The 1922 compact makes the rules and we all live by them. The people who draw water from the Colorado have nothing to do with what is going on in Northern California.. and right now there is no place to store more water, the first storm filled their lakes and another huge storm in on the way for next week.. the mountains have 3 x the normal snow level....... so a lot of water will go to sea.

Bart

California built its last major reservoir in 1979 when the population was 23 million people.

Now the population is 39 million people – 16 million more people, using the same reservoir storage supply.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017...ustrated-as-water-from-recent-rains-released/

Last edited:

Bart

Dams and reservoirs are dumping water , but a dam that was authorized more than 20 years ago still hasn’t been built. The Sites Reservoir would divert excess water from the Sacramento River and divert it to the reservoir, which could store enough water to serve nearly 4 million Californians a year.

State Senator Jim Nielsen, a Republican from Tehama County called it, “the first massive storage since Lake Oroville in the early ‘60’s.”

All this water going out to the ocean through the Delta, and potentially, we could store this and save it for a rainy day,” [Democrat Kevin] McCarthy said.

Republican Assemblyman James Gallagher of Plumas Lake told KCRA 3, “When you look at Sites, this benefits the entire state. There could be water for people north of the Delta and south of the Delta.”

http://www.kcra.com/article/5-things-to-know-about-the-proposed-sites-reservoir/8593792

Waterbaby

Staff member
Instead they are spending billions on a bullet train they cannot afford to finish [which money is going to the husband of Diane Feinstein BTW], and I am pretty sure is not going to be bailed out by the Federal Government [aka taxpayers in states outside of CA], so it is wasted money that could have been used to take a lesson from the drought and build water infrastructure to protect against future droughts - which will re-occur..

I wish people would let what happened to California serve as a warning, this is why we have federalism and each state is it's own petrie dish, so we can all learn from mistakes and successes to show what works best... sadly, California changed how they elect people to office and there is no chance of sanity returning to the state now. There is a reason we have a two-party, vs a one-party, system [and the electoral college vs popular vote]. Right now only one party even has a voice in California because the top two vote getter's in a open primary are the candidates for office... I grew up in California and spent most of my life there, what has happened to the state saddens me.......

Bill Sampson

Instead they are spending billions on a bullet train they cannot afford to finish [which money is going to the husband of Diane Feinstein BTW], and I am pretty sure is not going to be bailed out by the Federal Government [aka taxpayers in states outside of CA], so it is wasted money that could have been used to take a lesson from the drought and build water infrastructure to protect against future droughts - which will re-occur..

I wish people would let what happened to California serve as a warning, this is why we have federalism and each state is it's own petrie dish, so we can all learn from mistakes and successes to show what works best... sadly, California changed how they elect people to office and there is no chance of sanity returning to the state now. There is a reason we have a two-party, vs a one-party, system [and the electoral college vs popular vote]. Right now only one party even has a voice in California because the top two vote getter's in a open primary are the candidates for office... I grew up in California and spent most of my life there, what has happened to the state saddens me.......
This Bullet Train is such a fiasco here. They misrepresented it originally here from a financial standpoint, and the over-runs (can you say billions of dollars) are only getting worse.. I think Jerry Brown wants his legacy to be this train. I hope the federal government does not bail this out, and the project dies before it wastes even more money. We need to cut our losses before they get any worse.

Since this thread has been hijacked, I have to ask- I see in today's news that Elon Musk is planning on tunneling under LA because he is sick of the traffic.
Bill, and other California folks here on the board, have you all been hearing about this? What are the chances? He could probably get enough dough together to tunnel to SF!
Sorry for this not being related to LP news or fish but this sparked my interest-

Waterbaby

Staff member
Since this thread has been hijacked, I have to ask- I see in today's news that Elon Musk is planning on tunneling under LA because he is sick of the traffic.
Bill, and other California folks here on the board, have you all been hearing about this? What are the chances? He could probably get enough dough together to tunnel to SF!
Sorry for this not being related to LP news or fish but this sparked my interest-

I knew Brown wanted to run water pipelines underground and cut through the two major earthquake faults in California in the process; people are not pleased about that, but it makes me think Musk would run into the same problem. Frankly, if that is the case why doesn't Musk fund an extension of the subway they started in LA? Though, I have to say - in earthquake country would you want to drive long distances underground [or ride in a subway] when the big one could hit at any minute? - BTW one that is long overdue - the last big quake was 22 years ago last week.

As an aside in his meeting with The President this week it came out Musk is going to build a new battery facility - I think they said in Nevada - which is going to make a new battery which will go 350 miles w/o a recharge.

Waterbaby

Staff member
Cutter99 here is an article about it: - BTW having driven around LAX I can understand where he is coming from in this regard...... I am more curious whether he will somehow work with NASA to get the space program moving along faster so we don't have to hitch a ride to the space station with the Russians.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-tunnel-plans-los-angeles-2017-1
Elon Musk's tunnel project won't cut down on LA traffic — at least not at first

• Jan. 25, 2017, 10:14 AM

Asa Mathat | D: All Things Digital

Elon Musk is planning to build a tunnel, but it's probably not the tunnel you've heard of.

In late December, Musk said via Twitter that he wanted to build a tunnel because traffic was driving him nuts. Early Wednesday morning, Musk said on Twitter he was making progress with his tunnel plan and that digging will commence in a month or so.

But the tunnel project, at least in its current form, isn't designed to provide an alternative route to cut down on traffic, but to help SpaceX employees get to the company's parking lot.

Musk tweeted Wednesday morning that the tunnel will start on the SpaceX campus at the intersection of Crenshaw Boulevard and Interstate 105, which is five minutes away from Los Angeles International Airport.

Bill Sampson

I heard about this tunnel but think that he will spend the rest of his life trying to get right of way approvals for this project. I think this is his way of staying in front of the media.

Waterbaby

Staff member
I heard about this tunnel but think that he will spend the rest of his life trying to get right of way approvals for this project. I think this is his way of staying in front of the media.

I think you are correct. He will have better luck working with the new administration to get our space program going again than working with the locals in SoCal to build a tunnel under more than LAX.

Uh, the proposed SpaceX tunnel is under a single street to allow employees to cross in safety. Three people were hit in a single incident in December. "Based on the LA Daily News report, the primary purpose of the tunnel — which will be 50-feet deep and 50-to-100 feet wide — was to give employees a safer way to get across Crenshaw to the parking lot. It will also allow Tesla to transport its equipment." Sorry to inject facts into the discussion.

Waterbaby

Staff member
Uh, the proposed SpaceX tunnel is under a single street to allow employees to cross in safety. Three people were hit in a single incident in December. "Based on the LA Daily News report, the primary purpose of the tunnel — which will be 50-feet deep and 50-to-100 feet wide — was to give employees a safer way to get across Crenshaw to the parking lot. It will also allow Tesla to transport its equipment." Sorry to inject facts into the discussion.

I think that is what was said in #15 above... that it was to tunnel under Crenshaw.

snip from #15:

But the tunnel project, at least in its current form, isn't designed to provide an alternative route to cut down on traffic, but to help SpaceX employees get to the company's parking lot.

Musk tweeted Wednesday morning that the tunnel will start on the SpaceX campus at the intersection of Crenshaw Boulevard and Interstate 105, which is five minutes away from Los Angeles International Airport.

He has said he would love to have it extend beyond that - thus the rest of the opining on the subject.