• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Buzz baits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomofish

You may be missing some fun fishing if you aren't throwing some Buzz-Baits this time of year.
They do work on Powell and are a blast. Throw them at rockpiles, tammies and across points.

mtnpull

I'll have to give them a shot next trip. I've tried them a littel in the past with little luck, but maybe the timing was wrong. I'll be back on the lake mid May and can try them out then. Any pointers?

Nomofish

Make sure you have a pretty fast ratio reel and start cranking as soon as it his the water. Generally slower is better, just fast enough to keep it on top' I use half of a curly-tail worm as a trailer. Make sure you feel the fish before setting the hook.

Meatwagon

what ratio reel would you use, and what's your favorite bait? there's nothing better than a top water bite , but I've only used a popper and zara spook

dubob

Make sure you have a pretty fast ratio reel and start cranking as soon as it his the water. Generally slower is better, just fast enough to keep it on top' I use half of a curly-tail worm as a trailer. Make sure you feel the fish before setting the hook.
A picture of your configuration would be great. :D

Nomofish

spooks1.JPG spooks.JPG I have several different ratio reels. I like about a 6:1 for buzz baits. I have a couple of 4.5 for slow-rolling spinnerbaits. You need to be able to get it on top right away and be able to bring in the fish quick. You can use about any good quality reel of any ratio but I found it's easier with a little higher speed because you can also work the bait faster depending on what the fish want. If I were you, I would learn how to "Walk the Dog" with cigar baits. It is one of the best techniques I have found on Powell.

Dungee Fishing

I really like buzzbaits with clackers, but the best advice for fishing buzzbaits is for you or someone in your boat to be ready to throw a grub or tube to the the missed buzzbait strikes. If you're quick enough and make a good cast with a tube to the spot of the miss, you'll hook-up almost everytime!

This ☝️

Lake Bum

Petester taught me how to walk the dog with topwater about 6 years ago. My catch rate really increased! Up until that point, my technique was just popping the lure with a varied retrieval rate. :cool:

Watty33

I love top water bass fishing but have not done well at Powell-excluding striper boils. Any suggestions for mid summer patterns?

Dungee Fishing

I love top water bass fishing but have not done well at Powell-excluding striper boils. Any suggestions for mid summer patterns?
If with multiple people try different stuff. Try one with a popper and one with a buzz bait. Early morning before the sun gets high and then when shadows are on the lake in the afternoon. Also don't be afraid to make the exact same cast multiple times with top water, or multiple angles at the same rock, like if you've hit the side of a boulder don't be afraid to also hit the back side of it. Probably the biggest thing with top water is to let them eat it even an extra second, takes patience and practice but that hook up ratio is greatly increased.

Chet Garling

for green bass letting the lure sit there after your cast till the ripples go away also elicits bites. I like PopR because of the material on the "tail" try different retrieves, you can walk the dog, get a big splash, or a big gulp, sometimes a continuous retrieve, sometimes a stop and go, my heartbeat increased just typing about it. As previously stated early morning is best, shade extends the bite, I always have one tied on, I have even caught walleye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.