• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Buoy 3 Wall, Buoy 25 Wall, and Dinner at Antelope Point Marina Restaurant, May 12, 2021

Fursniper

Arrived at the buoy 3 wall about 8:30am on May 12th. There were 4 boats already there with everyone catching fish like crazy. I was with my daughter and we decided to stop there. The catch rate was about 4 to 5 stripers/hour per angler with the fish averaging about 2 pounds each. Boat traffic was not bad when we arrived, but it got heavier thru the morning. Fishing the buoy 3 wall became a workout getting pummeled by boat wakes. It was like fishing while riding a bucking bronco. The stripers were relentless catching one after another and they were in good condition. After 3 hours, I needed to go someplace more civilized to fish, but my daughter wanted to stay there catching fish like a maniac. We finally left the buoy 3 wall around noon and the stripers were still biting.

Resized_20210512_145754[1].jpg

We then went to the Buoy 25 wall to fish for more stripers. This location was a good alternative. The water surface was flat, no boat traffic wakes, we could fish in the shade provided by the wall, the stripers were biting like crazy, and we were the only ones there. I started filleting fish off the back of the boat as my daughter was catching them. It was "assembly line fishing." Fish were coming into the boat as fast as fish parts were flying out of the boat.

Bouy_25_Wall[1].jpg

By about 4pm, we had landed nearly 100 pounds of stripers and had 4 one gallon ziploc bags full of boneless fillets. We left the buoy 25 wall and then headed to Antelope Point Marina to eat dinner.

The restaurant at Antelope Point is on the water and accessible by boat. They have courtesy docks in front of the restaurant to tie your boat. You can either eat inside the restaurant or outside by the courtesy docks. We decided to eat dinner outside so we could admire our boat....LOL! The food there was very good and hit the spot after a hard workout of catching fish all day. I highly recommend pulling up to the Antelope Point restaurant in your boat to eat dinner before going to Wahweap to take your boat out the water.

Hope your day on the lake was as good as ours. Good luck everyone!
20210512_190506[1].jpg

Last edited:

4LOJO

Arrived at the buoy 3 wall about 8:30am on May 12th. There were 4 boats already there with everyone catching fish like crazy. I was with my daughter and we decided to stop there. The catch rate was about 4 to 5 stripers/hour per angler with the fish averaging about 2 pounds each. Boat traffic was not bad when we arrived, but it got heavier thru the morning. Fishing the buoy 3 wall became a workout getting pummeled by boat wakes. It was like fishing while riding a bucking bronco. The stripers were relentless catching one after another and they were in good condition. After 3 hours, I needed to go someplace more civilized to fish, but my daughter wanted to stay there catching fish like a maniac. We finally left the buoy 3 wall around noon and the stripers were still biting.

View attachment 12981

We then went to the Buoy 25 wall to fish for more stripers. This location was a good alternative. The water surface was flat, no boat traffic wakes, we could fish in the shade provided by the wall, the stripers were biting like crazy, and we were the only ones there. I started filleting fish off the back of the boat as my daughter was catching them. It was "assembly line fishing." Fish were coming into the boat as fast as fish parts were flying out of the boat.

View attachment 12982

By about 4pm, we had landed nearly 100 pounds of stripers and had 4 one gallon ziploc bags full of boneless fillets. We left the buoy 25 wall and then headed to Antelope Point Marina to eat dinner.

The restaurant at Antelope Point is on the water and accessible by boat. They have courtesy docks in front of the restaurant to tie your boat. You can either eat inside the restaurant or outside by the courtesy docks. We decided to eat dinner outside so we could admire our boat....LOL! The food there was very good and hit the spot after a hard workout of catching fish all day. I highly recommend pulling up to the Antelope Point restaurant in your boat to eat dinner before going to Wahweap to take your boat out the water.

View attachment 12980
We'll have to try the restaurant I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for sharing makes me want to head back down. Was wondering about bugs this time of year down there went to res. called Otter Creek here in Utah on Wed. I call them May flies were bad is that a problem at L.P. ?

lakepowellnut

View attachment 12981

View attachment 12982

View attachment 12980
Great report...love it!

Fursniper

What did you use for bait?
Anchovies on a 2/0 wide gap Mustag hook. The stripers were at 20-50 feet deep in both locations (Buoy 3 wall and buoy 25 wall)

TIP: When the water depth is several hundreds of feet deep such as near the dam, manually set the range of the sonar to only display the upper 100 feet of the water column. Otherwise, the sonar will compress the entire water column onto a 5 inch screen and the school of fish may not be displayed. This photo was taken at the buoy 3 wall with the sonar only showing the upper 100 feet of the water column.

Attachments

• 20210512_114107[1].jpg
    20210512_114107[1].jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Fursniper

Last edited:

crynczak

Anchovies on a 2/0 wide gap Mustag hook. The stripers were at 20-50 feet deep in both locations (Buoy 3 wall and buoy 25 wall)

TIP: When the water depth is several hundreds of feet deep such as near the dam, manually set the range of the sonar to only display the upper 100 feet of the water column. Otherwise, the sonar will compress the entire water column on a 5 inch screen and the school of fish may not be displayed. This photo was taken at the buoy 3 wall with the sonar only showing the upper 100 feet of the water column.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

Brandon A.

TIP: When the water depth is several hundreds of feet deep such as near the dam, manually set the range of the sonar to only display the upper 100 feet of the water column. Otherwise, the sonar will compress the entire water column onto a 5 inch screen and the school of fish may not be displayed. This photo was taken at the buoy 3 wall with the sonar only showing the upper 100 feet of the water column.
I am going to try to replicate your visit to buoy 25 wall and cove! Gonna brave the Memorial Weekend!

gznokes

View attachment 12981

View attachment 12982

View attachment 12980
Typically, I don't fish much for stripers. Traditionally I also don't fish close to other boats. In your experience do most people fishing for stripers, especially at the common spots like buoy 3, 25 etc mind having another boat come fish by them? When it comes to fishing for stripers do the other boats tend to be a bit more social about whether they are graphing fish and at what depth if we pull up and ask questions?

Dworwood

I have seen both sides of people, I have had people say "join us" and you have to fish "right here" and I have had others chastise us for pulling within 100 feet. There are nice people and there are the other kind too. We had a boat join us last year on a boil and we had a good time with them. We started spooning and talking and they had actually been on these same fish for a couple of weeks. They told us they would hurry from GJ and head right to this spot and had killed the stripers for the past three weeks so I never know how people will react until you pull up. I think most are good about it though, you won't know if you don't try and if that is where the fish are that's where you need to be sometimes. That said I like to fish like you, alone most of the time. I am a north ender most of the time so not too knowledgeable about the mood of the south end. Good luck with the stripers!