Bullfrog Reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Next week begins my weekly fish reports. I have great personal information on the southern lake but could use more information from the north and middle portions of the lake. If you go and have recent news please post it or send me an email with the fish pattern. I am not as interested in which canyon but more about specific techniques and how you interacted with the fish. If there is a pattern that works in numerous canyons that is the info I want to share.

The main difference between a north and south report is the number of shad available. More forage in the north makes the fish exhibit certain preferences. Less shad in the south causes different reactions with bass and stripers.

For instance, stripers caught yesterday had only plankton in the stomachs and were vulnerable to lures trolled in 20-25 feet of water where plankton was concentrated. Spooning was less likely to produce fish.

If you have any recent information please let me know so I can help anglers on both ends of Lake Powell.20170729_083122.jpg

Ryan

So, what you are saying is that you have to be a better fisher person to catch fish in the North end than the South? ;)

I wish I could help you out with a report. Since I can't, I figure the least I can do is stir the pot.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Colder temperatures and more forage make it easier for fish to just wait until the water warms. So yes you have to be really good to catch a fish in 40 degree water. But March is here and warming will begin soon. Then the north will be better fishing than the south. Right now go south to catch fish.

Bub

hi wayne really like your site lots of good info. i fished out of bullfrog last weekend and it was very slow. water temp. was 47 in the mornings and only warmed to 49 in the afternoons. we fished knowlls to four mile. we talked with two other boats that had the same luck we had 2 walleye and small mouth. we ended up with 6 bass one good lagemouth 3lbs. i have fished lake powell my whole life and have had this happen twice before where you cant get anything to bite even stripers. what causes this? anyways warmer weather is coming it will get better thanks

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
hi wayne really like your site lots of good info. i fished out of bullfrog last weekend and it was very slow. water temp. was 47 in the mornings and only warmed to 49 in the afternoons. we fished knowlls to four mile. we talked with two other boats that had the same luck we had 2 walleye and small mouth. we ended up with 6 bass one good lagemouth 3lbs. i have fished lake powell my whole life and have had this happen twice before where you cant get anything to bite even stripers. what causes this? anyways warmer weather is coming it will get better thanks
Warm water fish in LP dont like water temperature in the upper 40s. When it gets in the upper 50s they turn on and go crazy. The weather report show warming later in the week. You better go try Bullfrog again when the water is 57 in the morning. Bring a tarp cover so the fish jumping in the boat don't sink you. :)

catchnabuzz

Wayne, I'm thinking about running over to halls on Thursday evening to fish through the weekend. The weather looks good right now. My question is, with a few calm warming days, do you think I can get a trolling pattern going for stripers? I know I can find some walleyes as they should be staged for spawn now and concentrating in the proper location. I'd like to know if you were forced to fish out of halls this coming weekend, where and how would you start your hunt for fish in these less than average fishing conditions? I will be the test dummie and report back in detail with my findings

Last edited:

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Wayne, I'm thinking about running over to halls on Thursday evening to fish through the weekend. The weather looks good right now. My question is, with a few calm warming days, do you think I can get a trolling pattern going for stripers? I know I can find some walleyes as they should be staged for spawn now and concentrating in the proper location. I'd like to know if you were forced to fish out of halls this coming weekend, where and how would you start your hunt for fish in these less than average fishing conditions? I will be the test dummie and report back in detail with my findings
If looking for the best trigger to get fish energized, it is warming water. Morning water temp right now is at a yearly low of 47 degrees. The scheduled warming this week will signal the start of great catching for most species. Stripers, largemouth and some smallmouth will cooperate. The habitat to look for is shallow water with color near the back of the canyon. Color means not beautiful blue clear but the murky gray green water that shows up where a meandering stream enters or where wind and wave action stir shallow water and suspend sand and silt. This colored water warms faster than clear water. Look for color and then find a terrace or long point hopefully with some brush or structure.

Stripers yesterday were at 90 feet but on warming days they move quickly to the 25 feet depth in the back of the canyon, looking for shad and other food items. I would start with the back of Bullfrog, Halls or Moki at 60-100 feet in the morning. As it warms move to the 20-40 feet depth. Find the pattern and then spoon or troll in similar locations. Most traces seen on the graph will be stripers. Use spoons, down rigger trolling or casting to target the fish seen depending on their depth. We saw 3 marks on the graph at 92 feet yesterday, dropped spoons and caught 13 healthy stripers as the school came to look at our spoons. If at 30-60 use a down rigger. If shallower casting in the back of the canyon will work.

If you have experience with fishing in the early spring use that guidance to return to the places where you have previously been successful Trust me - stripers return to the same spot year after year.

Fish report comes out tomorrow and will echo some of this information but will be based on info gleaned from the southern lake.

catchnabuzz

If looking for the best trigger to get fish energized, it is warming water. Morning water temp right now is at a yearly low of 47 degrees. The scheduled warming this week will signal the start of great catching for most species. Stripers, largemouth and some smallmouth will cooperate. The habitat to look for is shallow water with color near the back of the canyon. Color means not beautiful blue clear but the murky gray green water that shows up where a meandering stream enters or where wind and wave action stir shallow water and suspend sand and silt. This colored water warms faster than clear water. Look for color and then find a terrace or long point hopefully with some brush or structure.

Stripers yesterday were at 90 feet but on warming days they move quickly to the 25 feet depth in the back of the canyon, looking for shad and other food items. I would start with the back of Bullfrog, Halls or Moki at 60-100 feet in the morning. As it warms move to the 20-40 feet depth. Find the pattern and then spoon or troll in similar locations. Most traces seen on the graph will be stripers. Use spoons, down rigger trolling or casting to target the fish seen depending on their depth. We saw 3 marks on the graph at 92 feet yesterday, dropped spoons and caught 13 healthy stripers as the school came to look at our spoons. If at 30-60 use a down rigger. If shallower casting in the back of the canyon will work.

If you have experience with fishing in the early spring use that guidance to return to the places where you have previously been successful Trust me - stripers return to the same spot year after year.

Fish report comes out tomorrow and will echo some of this information but will be based on info gleaned from the southern lake.
Thank you Wayne!

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
are the dark colored fish male or females , they sure stand out in catchnabuzz photo?
Stripers are not able to be identified as males or females until cut open and viewed internally. In this picture those fish close to the light reflect more than those that are not as close to the light.
Yes they are in great condition as are most of the stripers in the lake this spring. I cant wait for your fish report. I am counting on it.

catchnabuzz

image.jpg image.jpg
Stripers are not able to be identified as males or females until cut open and viewed internally. In this picture those fish close to the light reflect more than those that are not as close to the light.
Yes they are in great condition as are most of the stripers in the lake this spring. I cant wait for your fish report. I am counting on it.
Found both sexes to be ready for sex! Did not see that last April here

Brandon A.

Several shad school massacres were stopped today by heavy security in a open carry zone! I'll report back when my trip is done but, these poor shad need help people! There is no one here!
Hey there Catchinabuzz im locked and loaded ready to support down in Bullfrog this Wed. How should I approach the hot zone to terminate any shad threats? Thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.