Bullfrog launching/fish cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irion

Any one have any info on launch conditions at Bullfrog? Planning on making a last of the year trip down for three days of fishing starting the 26th. Hate to travel six hour to find out that the boat wont float. Also wondering if maybe the fish cleaning station is still open. Can always clean fish on the lake if need be.
Thanks for any updates.
Howard.

Ryan,Thanks for the not so promising photo. Do you have any additional info like when it was taken?
Thanks to you also Viking. Really would like to stock up on some stirpers for the winter. Were they still allowing you to park at the bottom of the ramp last weekend? Did you use the fish cleaning station?

Irion, The photo-- though accurate, shows a boat/car on the metal ramp -- It is well documented NOT to use the metal plates -- I was there 10 days ago and there were no issues launching from the asphalt ramp to the right (as you are looking down the ramp). Saw boats up to 21' launching and retrieving-- I have a SUV and had my back tires maybe 2/3rds covered in water during L/R -- Yes watch for low water as you launch and keep the motor trimmed up - Its quite murky so hard to see

All of the trucks that were parked at the ramp had orange warning tags stuck to the driver side window -- I don't think there is an actual fine but probably a pain to clean the sticker off-- So parking is not allowed at the ramp (though it would make sense to allow it this time of the year)

Plenty of stripers in bullfrog bay -- but the vast majority of what I caught were skinny and not worth filleting -- I believe others had better luck up at GHB with healthier fish -- I did not use the cleaning station -- so can't help you there

I was there two weeks ago, don't go straight off like the guy in the picture, go to the right, we parked in the dirt for 2 days with no trouble but I was a little nervous wondering if I'd get a ticket, Im getting my knee replaced next week so walking back and forth was not an option, I'd take the ticket

Sounds like things are about to get really interesting for the northern boaters. I assume the problem is that the incline is not steep enough to keep moving the ramp further out into the bay?

Is anyone aware of any efforts to locate a suitably sloped area to provide launching at Bullfrog? Or Halls?

Blue Notch may the be the only option this spring!!!

Sounds like things are about to get really interesting for the northern boaters. I assume the problem is that the incline is not steep enough to keep moving the ramp further out into the bay?

Is anyone aware of any efforts to locate a suitably sloped area to provide launching at Bullfrog? Or Halls?

Blue Notch may the be the only option this spring!!!
Quick summary is that Halls is too steep, while Bullfrog isn't steep enough. The NPS hasn't put forth any information, other than the Bullfrog Spur supposedly being viable to 3,525' or so. The best candidate slopes at Halls are the area around the land access to the marina. On the Bullfrog side, there might be some good slopes right near the mouth of Bullfrog Creek, which would involve extending and improving the Stanton Creek road.

Looks like lake level will fall about 30 inches (2.5 feet) for month of November to 3541.8. No precip coming the rest of this month. With slightly higher releases scheduled by USBR in December, and this LaNina winter driving storms mostly into the northwest, we could lose 3 feet in December. That will put us at 3538.80 with 4 months to go before spring runoff begins. One wonders at what point Mr Shott will come out of his groundhog den to see some reality, and tell us what he plans for DR Marina, and what ideas he has for Bullfrog access along with its marina facilities in a glorified mud puddle. Unless weather patterns change drastically to wet and wetter after Christmas, we will be staring at a building crisis point in January. But have no fear...NPS is on duty and competently administering things at the lake in a pro-active manner, while staying in frequent communication with their clients, who are the 2 million visitors who use the lake every year. All is well!

One wonders at what point Mr Shott will come out of his groundhog den to see some reality....
Sorry, I couldn't resist....will he see his shadow? And if so, what info does he take back into his den for another 6 weeks ?

Pardon my trying to find some humor here in these unprecedented times.......perhaps it's time for an old fashioned letter writing campaign?

:unsure:

Ryan,Thanks for the not so promising photo. Do you have any additional info like when it was taken?
Thanks to you also Viking. Really would like to stock up on some stirpers for the winter. Were they still allowing you to park at the bottom of the ramp last weekend? Did you use the fish cleaning station?
I parked at the bottom last weekend and no issues. Cleaning station operational. Spooning success 20-50' in GHB. Lots of juvenile healthy stripers and the produce the best fillets IMO. All the bigger stripers 22"+ were thrown back as they were very skinny. Once again I still have not heard from anyone this week so launching challenges may have changed...

Looking at the water level drop since the 14th. I am not trying it even off to the right, you might be able to pole/push yourself to deeper water. The water depth off to the right should be less than three feet now. So, even with your engine trimmed up that is just asking for a ruined prop.

Quick summary is that Halls is too steep, while Bullfrog isn't steep enough. The NPS hasn't put forth any information, other than the Bullfrog Spur supposedly being viable to 3,525' or so. The best candidate slopes at Halls are the area around the land access to the marina. On the Bullfrog side, there might be some good slopes right near the mouth of Bullfrog Creek, which would involve extending and improving the Stanton Creek road.
You seem pretty good at looking at the old topos and GIS tools :) Sure seems like there would have to be some moderately slopes with a good gradient for launching areas in the stanton creek area....

Yes to access via Stanton to mouth of Bullfrog creek. Here are 2 photos of that area. In a previous thread, Drew has mapped those areas with his software very well, and even drawn in a couple of proposed routes for an access road. I think Shott must believe Mother Nature will bail him out with a huge wet winter/spring and he won't have to do anything. Maybe he is hard at work getting permits to grade a 2-3 mile spur road down there, but if he is, it's sure "top secret".

Attachments

• Bullfrog creek mouth from Halls.jpg
    Bullfrog creek mouth from Halls.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 54
  • bullfrog creek looking north from its confluence with the colorado marina site is north 3 mil...jpeg
    bullfrog creek looking north from its confluence with the colorado marina site is north 3 mil...jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back