Bullfrog help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be camping in the bullfrog area next week and was wanting to get my kids into a bunch of fish. I am new to the fishing for bass so any tips would be helpful. my kids are not picky about the type of fish they catch the just want to catch a lot of them. any tips for location would be appreciated.

Go to the slips and fish under the lights at least one night. I kastmasters of jigs will work.

There is always a crowd around the transient slips. Just past the bathrooms is productive as well.

Thanks for the tips. Will the stripers still hit anchovies now that there are boiling? We will be camping out on the lake are there any canyons near bullfrog that would be better than the others as far as fishing goes. We can troll but my but trolls fast and we don't have down riggers will lead line get the job done. Thanks again for the help

A curly tail grub on a 1/4 oz jig head thown towards any rocky structure will catch bass. They are easy to rig and easy for kids to use.

no need for leaded line or down riggers, fast is not so bad! 150' out with a big billed wally diver or something similar. Not a lot of need for anchovies anymore, you can use striper meat now.

Thanks for the tips. Will the stripers still hit anchovies now that there are boiling? We will be camping out on the lake are there any canyons near bullfrog that would be better than the others as far as fishing goes. We can troll but my but trolls fast and we don't have down riggers will lead line get the job done. Thanks again for the help
I just got back. Was fishing alone from stanton to forgotten. Brought home 50 healthy stripers in a day and a half of fishing. Flicker Shads behind 7 colors at 3.8mph was what they liked. The main channel drop offs produced best. Make sure you have a sturdy rod, when they hit they double the rod over and fight the whole way to the boat. Awesome fun!

Last edited:
Go to the slips and fish under the lights at least one night. I kastmasters of jigs will work.

There is always a crowd around the transient slips. Just past the bathrooms is productive as well. NO doubt the lights are the bomb, you can talk about bait forever but the lights can make it crazy. The biggest crappy I've ever seen pulled out of Powell was taken out of the pump-out station at stateline under the lights. The fish were competing for whatever bait was presented. One of the most memorable nights ever.

Where are the transient slips located, I would love to get my kids a bunch of fish.
The closest slips to the shore. Smaller slips, designed for a single, runabout style boat.

They are uncovered, and the Executive Services area of the dock where they turn houseboats is on the end of these docks.

I've been to Bullfrog 3 times so far this year. Every time people have been fishing (and catching a lot of fish) from this area.

will striper meat catch more stripers?

Once the stripers are actively biting then I have found that striper meat will catch as many stripers as anchovies. I think to find an active school anchovy chum might be a bit better but I do not have a lot of experience in using this technique as I only resort to bait when I have kids or a big group of inexperienced (family, etc) anglers to host.

You can catch the fish on the docks/slips... usually by the ice machine by the small shop at Bullfrog.. we green light fish there a lot... some nights between a couple people you can catch 100+ fish... anchovies were still working last week.. also can try muscles.. like you buy at Walmart.. or if you don't want to get your fingers stinky... many nights I will out fish live bait with a jigging rapala- #7s seem to be a good size- but 5s and 9s can also catch them... we usually can catch a few walleyes as well with the jigging raps that you don't catch with anchovies..

Is it mostly stripers that you get at night from the docks? I am very excited we will be fishing there tonight. I just hope I can get my kids into the fish.

Is it mostly stripers that you get at night from the docks? I am very excited we will be fishing there tonight. I just hope I can get my kids into the fish.

Yes stripers are the target fish off the docks at night. Just be aware that sometimes walleye and crappie can be hanging around there too. A worm or a gulp minnow works for multiple species.

Yes mostly stripers.. once in awhile a catfish... mostly on the bottom.. for anchovies you can just use a 1/4ounce jig... but sometimes they will be suspended as well.. so work the water column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back