Bullfrog - GHB 8/14-8/16

Jairo

Just got back from a trip to the north end with my dad and a friend.

I couldn't motivate the troops enough to get them on the lake before sunrise on Friday, so we ended up launching around 8 am and immediately saw a small boil across the ramp behind the floating tires but by the time we made it close to the area they had moved on and couldn't find them after that. We stuck around for a while with hopes to find another boil but only saw random splashes, so we ended up going to moqui canyon and look for them there. We saw a few schools in the canyon but couldn't get them to take anything, so we moved on and decided to go to forgotten canyon and had the same results. We headed back to the marina around noon and decided to stop at the amphitheater outside of moqui canyon and a small school there. We dropped spoons and were able to get 2 stripers out but those were the last ones of the trip. It got too hot and decided to cruise on the lake and look for shade.

We left BF on Saturday by 6:30 and booked it to GHB to the areas Preston mentioned last week. We never saw any boils but saw the schools hanging around 50-70 ft in those areas. The wind picked up to drift the boat fast enough to make it hard to drop the spoons over the schools. We don't have a trolling motor, so we drove a good 50 yards and tried casting ahead of us towards the schools hoping they'd drop over in time but couldn't get them down fast enough. We moved a little south of the floating bathroom to avoid the wind and found another school in the shaded area of the canyon hanging around 15 ft of water, we dropped some spoons and were able to get bites but all of them broke off as soon as we would get on them on the surface. The school ended up moving, so we decided to target SM on the boulders near the walls and had success getting them but had the same results... they'd break off as soon as they got to the surface... We were trying new rods so maybe that's why.... or at least that's what i was telling everyone :rolleyes: We headed back to BF around 2 with no fish on the cooler... but you know what they say.. a bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office.

The rest of the crew wanted to head back home to Colorado early Sunday and get away from the heat, so I'm not sure what the lake was like that day but sure hope everyone had better results than we did.

If anyone from the Western Slope of Colorado needs a companion to split the drive and gas, I'd love to tag along haha

John P Funk

Light line, or drag adjustment problem. I use 12lb test if targeting stripers and haven't had problems yet, but I haven't had a 100 fish day yet either.

Jairo

Light line, or drag adjustment problem. I use 12lb test if targeting stripers and haven't had problems yet, but I haven't had a 100 fish day yet either.
We had 15lb test, so I don't think it was that, but we were trying baitcasters for the fist time so probably was the drag... It was a learning curve to say the least..

John P Funk

New equipment does sometimes come with a steep learning curve, good luck next time. I would start with relatively loose drag and adjust from there. Never fished baitcasters after the first time I tried one(not a big fan of the consequences of a bad cast).

Richard

Jairo - Where on the western slope do you live ? My wife will only go so many times to the lake and from time to time I make solo trips -- always safer and cheaper to fish with others -- Plan on going numerous times this fall

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
We had 15lb test, so I don't think it was that, but we were trying baitcasters for the fist time so probably was the drag... It was a learning curve to say the least..
Yes something is not right with 15-pound test line breaking at the knot! or were the fish just spitting out the spoon and swimming off? Gives us a bit more info on what happened when the fish was close to the boat and maybe we can help you land them next trip.

Jairo

Jairo - Where on the western slope do you live ? My wife will only go so many times to the lake and from time to time I make solo trips -- always safer and cheaper to fish with others -- Plan on going numerous times this fall
I'm near Aspen. I was already thinking on doing a solo trip and do agree that having a companion helps.

Jairo

Yes something is not right with 15-pound test line breaking at the knot! or were the fish just spitting out the spoon and swimming off? Gives us a bit more info on what happened when the fish was close to the boat and maybe we can help you land them next trip.

Hey Wayne, they were just spitting out the spoon. My dad switched over to his spinning rod and was able to land a SM after missing a few with the baitcaster

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Hey Wayne, they were just spitting out the spoon. My dad switched over to his spinning rod and was able to land a SM after missing a few with the baitcaster
Concentrate on setting the hook with a strong pull while raising the rod tip above your head. Then start reeling and lower the rod down to fighting position. That should solve your problem of fish releasing themselves near the boat

Last edited: