• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Bullfrog and nearby November 6/7/8

Boudreaux

Short version: took advantage of glassy water and no boat traffic to fish areas that usually have too rough water. The bite was light but the lake was stunningly beautiful.
Details: fished for stripers mostly, figuring the bass tournament experts would have the LMB/SMB market cornered. I almost didn’t even go, worried that the small ramp would be a mess trying to launch by myself in the midst of a bunch of tournament anglers trying to launch, too. (It wasn’t a problem, I slept in and fished late). Also, $89 rooms at Ticaboo were $300-ish Friday,Saturday and back to $89 on Sunday. Aramark hotel was similar. So I camped at the campground. Fished points near Stanton and trolled for striper Saturday afternoon with no luck. I towed a tournament guy in with a dead boat battery who said the bass fishing was slow. Gave a guy a ride partway up the long, long ramp and got some info in return (this is one reason you should always do this. Also because it’s the right thing to do) that they caught 20 stripers before 11:00 trolling BF at 40-60 feet. Well, Sunday by 10:00 same guys had only caught 2 in 2 hours, same place, same technique. By noon I had no stripers, except the one I caught on a Ned rig in 10 feet of water! Then I went to Lake Canyon, graphed fish at 60 feet and dropped a spoon and immediately hooked up…a walleye. Bizarro world. Next into Annie’s Canyon to see if stripers were at the head of canyons. So beautiful in there I forgot to go all the way to the back, caught SMB and LMB on Ned rig and tried bottom bouncer+worm for walleye at 20-30 feet with no luck. The bass bite on Ned rig tipped with a worm was so light: tap-tap-tap….tap-tap…line starts moving..THEN set. Very unlike the usual enthusiastic takes.
Monday, fished the tires by the BF houseboat field- nothing, trolled Moki wall and got 3stripers (one large and healthy, two slightly smaller and nearly lifeless and thin), and went sightseeing in Crystal Springs canyon where I got a couple of nice SMB and a chunky LMB.
It was so peaceful, quiet and beautiful. The lake is looking more like a canyon. Little slot canyons are emerging, walls are rising higher. There’s still plenty of water, hundreds of feet deep. This is now my favorite time of year at Powell. It’s terrible, don’t go!

Attachments

• 8E5FF5E3-9ACD-4A34-A9AD-78883425CB42.jpeg
    8E5FF5E3-9ACD-4A34-A9AD-78883425CB42.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 120
  • E2D0B928-FD6B-441D-9950-67D645ED620B.jpeg
    E2D0B928-FD6B-441D-9950-67D645ED620B.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 108
  • B268DF15-63E6-42C5-A70A-A29C90A4E677.jpeg
    B268DF15-63E6-42C5-A70A-A29C90A4E677.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 46E2C382-0516-4672-B5BB-3BEDB8F88F06.jpeg
    46E2C382-0516-4672-B5BB-3BEDB8F88F06.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DC65B5B0-E18D-4A85-9A04-1C5B6A7F6CF9.jpeg
    DC65B5B0-E18D-4A85-9A04-1C5B6A7F6CF9.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 25AEFA62-D105-49AB-80F4-8E84B00E5669.jpeg
    25AEFA62-D105-49AB-80F4-8E84B00E5669.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 126

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Short version: took advantage of glassy water and no boat traffic to fish areas that usually have too rough water. The bite was light but the lake was stunningly beautiful.
Details: fished for stripers mostly, figuring the bass tournament experts would have the LMB/SMB market cornered. I almost didn’t even go, worried that the small ramp would be a mess trying to launch by myself in the midst of a bunch of tournament anglers trying to launch, too. (It wasn’t a problem, I slept in and fished late). Also, $89 rooms at Ticaboo were $300-ish Friday,Saturday and back to $89 on Sunday. Aramark hotel was similar. So I camped at the campground. Fished points near Stanton and trolled for striper Saturday afternoon with no luck. I towed a tournament guy in with a dead boat battery who said the bass fishing was slow. Gave a guy a ride partway up the long, long ramp and got some info in return (this is one reason you should always do this. Also because it’s the right thing to do) that they caught 20 stripers before 11:00 trolling BF at 40-60 feet. Well, Sunday by 10:00 same guys had only caught 2 in 2 hours, same place, same technique. By noon I had no stripers, except the one I caught on a Ned rig in 10 feet of water! Then I went to Lake Canyon, graphed fish at 60 feet and dropped a spoon and immediately hooked up…a walleye. Bizarro world. Next into Annie’s Canyon to see if stripers were at the head of canyons. So beautiful in there I forgot to go all the way to the back, caught SMB and LMB on Ned rig and tried bottom bouncer+worm for walleye at 20-30 feet with no luck. The bass bite on Ned rig tipped with a worm was so light: tap-tap-tap….tap-tap…line starts moving..THEN set. Very unlike the usual enthusiastic takes.
Monday, fished the tires by the BF houseboat field- nothing, trolled Moki wall and got 3stripers (one large and healthy, two slightly smaller and nearly lifeless and thin), and went sightseeing in Crystal Springs canyon where I got a couple of nice SMB and a chunky LMB.
It was so peaceful, quiet and beautiful. The lake is looking more like a canyon. Little slot canyons are emerging, walls are rising higher. There’s still plenty of water, hundreds of feet deep. This is now my favorite time of year at Powell. It’s terrible, don’t go!
I agree. Not a worse time to go fishing at Lake Powell than November and December. ;)

Bill Sampson

Escalante-Class Member
Great report and awesome pictures.