BRC's Fill Lake Powell Project

Paladin

WELCOME!!
Take a look at Bart's posting above mine and follow the link.

Fill Lake Powell is now officially active as part of Blue Ribbon Coalition, a public NGO that supports public lands access. We are delighted, we could not have found a better partner. Ben Burr, the executive director of BRC is personally involved with this effort and is leading our mission. This project was set up by a steering committee made up of participants of WW. I am the leader of that committee. Our members are extremely experienced and knowledgeable about the issues of Lake Powell and I am proud to know them and serve with them.

We officially launched our effort with responses to Under Sec. Tanya Trujillo. (Re: her letter of April 8, 2022.) We have contacted her, and all of the "water managers" in her purview and advised them of our keen interest in participating in any and all future discussions and/or policy formulations concerning the regulation of Colorado River water as it relates to Lake Powell and the attendant water levels of the lake. We asked for "a seat at the table" and to have our voices heard with the policy discussions, and/or renegotiations, that will follow Ms. Trujillo's outreach. We seek a permanent level of Lake Powell at 3588 and the recognition of our non-consumptive recreationist rights to the water temporarily stored in Lake Powell.

Please weigh in, give us your comments. Give us your support and take a hard, thorough look at BRC. Membership and contributions would be extremely beneficial to our effort and would be appreciated by everyone involved.

There are tough times ahead and all of the Basin States will need to address this catastrophic drought and consider diligent water conservation methods as well as new apportionments. We will be a part of those discussions and try our best to offer help and realistic advice to all concerned. In the meantime, we seek to restore and protect our magic and majestic Lake Powell. It is truly a significant and magnificent national asset and we are fully committed to its maintenance.
Thanks, Pete

Meatwagon

Escalante-Class Member
My assumption is because 3588 guarantees the use of all ramps on the south end as well as Bullfrog and Halls. Also allows for use of the Castle Rock cut.
Not to mention the reconstruction and use of the dangling rope facility . I think a minimum level needs to be established keeping all the recreational facilities functional and 3588 would do just that. If water restrictions were put in place at that level we wouldn't have any of the problems we're faced with now.

Paladin

I signed up. Good work sir! Wonder why 3588 since it’s such a random number. Why not 3587 or 3589?
Good question.
Ben Burr and other members of our group have much more experience with the mid-lake facilities than I do. It is my understanding that Ben conferred with JFRCalifornia, a member of our steering committee and agreed that 3588 would provide enough water to restore all of the infrastructure that was so appreciated up and down the lake. Consideration was also given to the Navajo Nation and the facility they lost.

Paladin

Not to mention the reconstruction and use of the dangling rope facility . I think a minimum level needs to be established keeping all the recreational facilities functional and 3588 would do just that. If water restrictions were put in place at that level we wouldn't have any of the problems we're faced with now.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!
It is crazy to build infrastructure and have it ruined by poor water level management. This is a magnificent national asset and we need to start treating it with the care and respect it deserves.

Dougie

Then 3588 it is. Coming with the imprimatur of JFR carries all the weight I need to hear. The NPS statement today saying that Bullfrog Exec ramp is NOT available for any launch until 3525 is a killer. Surprised comments aren’t exploding, especially with so many planning to be there Sunday May 1. We won’t see 3525 for another 2 weeks at minimum, and it’s possible we will not see the 3529 required for houseboats even over Memorial Day weekend. I wonder who will be the poor devil on duty who has to enforce these rules. Not like NPS gave much advance notice or anything.

Paladin

Take a look... latest from BRC.

JFRCalifornia

Escalante-Class Member
Good question.
Ben Burr and other members of our group have much more experience with the mid-lake facilities than I do. It is my understanding that Ben conferred with JFRCalifornia, a member of our steering committee and agreed that 3588 would provide enough water to restore all of the infrastructure that was so appreciated up and down the lake. Consideration was also given to the Navajo Nation and the facility they lost.
Yes, I'm helping Paladin and others in a working group to help steer the conversation in a way that makes sense. It's a group of very smart people with different general perspectives, but a common interest in protecting the resource that is Lake Powell. My role is along the lines of helping with the kinds of things I know pretty well, like how to effectively convey a message based on good data about the lake, and an understanding of environmental and water law...

And of course the others in this group all bring a unique skill set to the discussion, from all sorts of angles. I'm learning a lot talking with these folks. It's an impressive crew...