Box anchor

Trix

My daughter today bought a Formula 280 Sun Sport. They will using it primarily as day boat around Phoenix, and a couple of trips a year to LP with beach camping. I always used Fortress anchors in my 23 and 27 Sea Ray's, never let me down in some gale conditions. I always thought of the Slide Box anchors as a compromise when storage was an issue. The 280 has a huge anchor locker so it could accommodate an X7, X11, Fortress.

So, any opinions on the effectiveness of box anchors? Daughter has birthday coming up, so a Fortress would be a good present, but will find another accessary if box anchor is solid.

Ryan

I’m a HUGE fan of the box anchor. I’ve tried the fortress style before and they just don’t compare.

Box requires no chain and significantly less rope. I’ve been rafted up with 4 or 5 other boats in some wind and a small will hold that. That’s what I would recommend for your daughter.

amilberger

I'm a fan of the box anchor. They grab quick and work good in various terrain. My boat is only 22ft so I dont know how it would work on such a large boat.

Another good gift idea along the same lines would be a couple of good slide anchor sand spikes. My buddy we go to Powell with has a few and work great without having to pull out the hammer and pound steaks in the sand.

Trix

I'm a fan of the box anchor. They grab quick and work good in various terrain. My boat is only 22ft so I dont know how it would work on such a large boat.

Another good gift idea along the same lines would be a couple of good slide anchor sand spikes. My buddy we go to Powell with has a few and work great without having to pull out the hammer and pound steaks in the sand.

When we sold our last boat -- sniff, sniff - I gave my daughter my slide spikes. This is not their first boat. They have been boatless a few years and were laughing about where the spikes may be buried in their storage barn. Thanks for your thoughts on the box!

Trix

And, BTW, I only pound my "steaks" on on the grill! 😀😀
Love autocorrect.

Cookie

I have had issues with the box anchors on Powell due to so much steep rock. Box Anchors work great in soil/sand, but sometimes at Powell you could be trying to anchor and all you have is smooth rock. I have found traditional anchors work better for this application.

Trix

Thanks, Cookie, that's makes sense that flukes could catch on rocks and the box would be less likely to grab. I've pretty much concluded that their box anchor is fine for their Pleasant, Saguaro, Bartlett, Havasu summer lunch/swim hookups. Should consider a Fortress for overnight bowout camping at Powell; we all know that summer storms can require the best equipment.

Last edited:

Cookie

Thanks, Cookie, that's makes sense that flukes could catch on rocks and the box would be less likely to grab. I've pretty much concluded that their box anchor is fine for their Pleasant, Saguaro, Bartlett, Havasu summer lunch/swim hookups. Should consider a Fortress for overnight bowout camping at Powell; we all know that summer storms can
I always carried both, nice to have options.

Dillonwhitt

I have a few friends that have them they seem to be ok and perfect weather but as soon as the wind picks up we are swimming trying to put boulders on it.... me personally I wouldn't own one for a stern line I've thought about getting one just for my drift anchor... my opinion is use what you know works... it's to late to change the game