Boat seat for rough water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Sargent

I have a very good friend who has had multiple back surgeries and struggles with rough water. I remember some suggestions for replacement pedestal seats designed with a shock absorber but can't seem to find them using the search feature. He would love to come out from Indiana and fish with me again so I am looking for a better seat for my Crestliner Fish Hawk. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do remember that they are pricey.

Thank you,
Jim Sargent

VikingRanch

Another thought is taller seats/stools. Our Sea Ray with the bolster flipped over is more of a stool height, so you are on the seat and have your feet down with some weight on them. Makes it a little easier to take the shocks. A much larger hull is also a solution, the difference between our 24 and my sisters 18 is drastic.

WyoRado

Smooth moves are nice, they are hydraulic, and adjustable. I have been on them in a couple different boats. When new and maintained they were fantastic. Wore out they turn into trampolines. Airwave is another, but I have no experience on them.

TR.

Escalante-Class Member
A cheap fix if you have room would be an e-sea-rider or other. I have one and they work very well and many deep sea guides use them for the comfort of their passengers.

TR

Edward Gerdemann

One suggestion is to have him sit on 2 life cushions and hang a couple of life jackets backwards on your pedestal seat back. That will add a lot of cushion. Also, set that he sits with this feet flat on the floor spread a bit wider than normal. This will help spread the shock. Unfortunately there are likely not perfect solutions.

Ed Gerdemann

TR.

Escalante-Class Member
One suggestion is to have him sit on 2 life cushions and hang a couple of life jackets backwards on your pedestal seat back. That will add a lot of cushion. Also, set that he sits with this feet flat on the floor spread a bit wider than normal. This will help spread the shock. Unfortunately there are likely not perfect solutions.

Ed Gerdemann
Ed, the latest version of ben bag seats are most incredible and accomplish the same with more comfort. My buddy Marty, lounging…

1665694472543.jpeg

David A Dexter

Wave Pro is your solution. I bought Wave Pro pedestals for my 18 foot deep water Ranger VX1788. They're designed to fit your actual boat seat, and they will ensure that you get the right fit. You can do the install yourself. They're not cheap at $1100 each, but they work fantastic on Lake Powel because we've battle tested them in high wind and the choppy main channel at Lake Powell. I have two brothers, 82 and 81 (I'm the accident younger brother at 71) and I can tell you that my brothers (and me) all rave about the smooth ride now. Yes, I looked at Smooth Moves, but if you research it they don't measure up to Wave Pro.

Guido

I have a set of the smooth move seats that I bought last year and used twice. They work great but I bought a new boat that has factory seats that do the same thing.
If you are interested I am up to selling the smoothe move ones, they are the ultra ones for a crestliner.

Jim Sargent

Guido,
Thank you for your kind offer. I have been on the water for five straight days and just this morning had a chance to check with my dealer. Unfortunately the new Smooth Move seat arrived yesterday and is scheduled to be installed Monday.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.