• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Black tank pump

Sorry for the nasty subject!! Our houseboat does not have a very large black tank. We like to go to Padre Bay so it's too far to go back and pump out mid week. Last year we went over to the floating pump station in Padre Bay but we could not get the pump to work. Another boat pulled up hooked up this sweet pump and pumped his black tank right out. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I need to buy and how to make it work so we can go over to the floating pump station mid week. Thanks so much!!

Rivergoer

You’re looking for a macerator pump. The one in the link below will screw directly into a pump-out port like this:

3268A1F6-9EE8-4142-8318-84729C7F4943.jpeg

If your boat doesn’t have this fitting, a hose can be rigged to the pump and stuffed through the open bathroom window directly into the toilet. A large diameter hose would be best for this application, at least 1 1/4” diameter.

You’ll need access to 12v power source so either a portable battery or other solution.

JTJ

The outlet is a 1.5" barb that take a 1.5" hose. It will pump 50'. I don't know what the pump out stations provide but you can get a flat 1.5" hose that expands under pressure. Rolls up nicely. Used to pump out pools. They should come with a hose clamp. Amazon, Home Depot or where you buy the pump. The one for my RV fits the RV dump connection and uses garden hose. Good idea to dump about 5 gallons of clean water into the holding tank when it is empty and pump again to clean things up a bit. My RV tank was only 40 gallons. A bigger tank might need more clean water. The macerator is like a garbage disposal. It chops up everything so no big stuff is being forced through the hose. Still a good idea not to put paper down the toilet.

PowellBride

Unless you can connect this to the pumpout hoses (which definitely lack suction many times) I don’t see how you could use this at Powell. Unlike open ocean, there is no approved dumping in the waters at Powell

Powelldreamer

Unless you can connect this to the pumpout hoses (which definitely lack suction many times) I don’t see how you could use this at Powell. Unlike open ocean, there is no approved dumping in the waters at Powell
What would prevent you from pumping it into the restroom toilet on the restroom docks?

Skibum

Sometimes the “broken” manual pumps have sat unused so long that they just need to be primed.

botnb

I was told it is against the law to have a working macerator pump and blackwater pump out on any freshwater lake or river.
It is absolutely verboten to PUMP effluent into a river or lake, but What's the difference of dumping a porta-potty tank in the dump station or floating RR? I used to do it all the time...same as land camping ...

John P Funk

It is absolutely verboten to PUMP effluent into a river or lake, but What's the difference of dumping a porta-potty tank in the dump station or floating RR? I used to do it all the time...same as land camping ...
Or within three miles of shore in the ocean.

bubba

This is a good place to spend some extra cash up front to keep things flowing well. Avoid cheap macerated pumps, or reduced size output tube. Below is a link to a great product with great suction and grind. I have never used flat hose but as long as it is well rinsed it sounds good - I have always used the rigid smooth wall and you can create a sealed loop with a Y valve for odor control. There are rules that do prevent how this pump can be plumbed - know the ABYC code and local rules. You do not ever want to accidentally pump into the lake. Avoid hard 90’s and rinse with plenty of water after each use. This pump can be portable with hose with adaptor for external connection or mounted at tank. Either way, store with hose in a sealed looped position.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sealand-t-series-waste-discharge-pump-with-whisper-quiet-motor

Sorry for the nasty subject!! Our houseboat does not have a very large black tank. We like to go to Padre Bay so it's too far to go back and pump out mid week. Last year we went over to the floating pump station in Padre Bay but we could not get the pump to work. Another boat pulled up hooked up this sweet pump and pumped his black tank right out. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I need to buy and how to make it work so we can go over to the floating pump station mid week. Thanks so much!!
I know nothing about macerator electric pumps, but the basic item you need to be able to pump at the floating pump out dock near Padre is a fitting that screws into the tank (ours is located along the side of the boat on the outside) and then you connect the hose on the dock to the fitting. The fitting looks like the one in the photo, I'm not sure that that is the correct size, but just so you know what you're looking for. If you already know this information, I am sorry for being basic, but wanted to start at step 1! It is not fun to have to manually pump at the floating pump out, but is better than having to go all the way back to the marina! pumpout.jpg

Dworwood

The fitting pictured is a male cam lock x male 1 1/2” NPT ( national pipe thread). Not sure what your connection is but that is what is pictured. I would think boat rentals could tell you what size is on the floating restrooms. They are available from many sources, local plumbers, Home Depot and many others. You just need to know size and I think you need the male cam loc but I am not certain about that. There are both male and female ends that connect together for the cam loc and pipe threads, you need to know what the restrooms have so you can have the other type on your hose.

Last edited: