• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Black Friday Deal on Garmin Fishfinder

svivian

Don't know if any of you are Black Friday shoppers but here is a sweet deal on a Garmin. Just picked one up and looking forward to putting it to the test at Lake Powell.

Maverick5207

I just bought the 7 inch version of that although I didn't get the plotter. $399.00
I'm extremely happy with it. Downscan, side scan......very cool stuff. I liked it so much I bought another for the trolling motor up front.
That's a great deal on that. Maybe I should have waited. Ha

Dorado

I saw the Garmin unit and thought that is a sweet deal. 13 years is pretty long with the ever more rapid improvement and capability!. Fishfinders are a rabbit hole with how quickly they advance. You can get a Panoptix live scope for the Garmin that provides real time, pointable sonar in any direction.....but then when you buy that, they will come up with some new crazy technology. I try to limit myself a new unit every 5 years or so, but I never come close to actually figuring out all the things they can do!!!

fisheye

I saw the Garmin unit and thought that is a sweet deal. 13 years is pretty long with the ever more rapid improvement and capability!. Fishfinders are a rabbit hole with how quickly they advance. You can get a Panoptix live scope for the Garmin that provides real time, pointable sonar in any direction.....but then when you buy that, they will come up with some new crazy technology. I try to limit myself a new unit every 5 years or so, but I never come close to actually figuring out all the things they can do!!!
You raise a good point about learning all the things they can do. For many years I have wondered why sonar manufacturer's don't include a cd video, to show you all the different scenarios and how to fine tune the unit? I mean come on! For what you pay for those things I would think some form of tutorial would be included? I have had to go to youtube and find videos that younger "tech-know wiennies" have put up?

Dorado

For sure. My problem is that when I am out on the water I seldom have much of cell signal, which is when I would need the YouTube tutorials. Besides, when I am out on the water I want to fish, not mess with Learning the features ofthe sounder! I suppose I should go out in the garage and Play around with the various settings and options during the winter. But probably is not going to happen cause’ skiing and ice fishing sounds like a lot more fun!

dallas massie

I use my Garmin Striker 5 from my boat for my ice fishing fish finder , and then learn the settings when I am in my tent.

GregS

You raise a good point about learning all the things they can do. For many years I have wondered why sonar manufacturer's don't include a cd video, to show you all the different scenarios and how to fine tune the unit? I mean come on! For what you pay for those things I would think some form of tutorial would be included? I have had to go to youtube and find videos that younger "tech-know wiennies" have put up?
They don't include an owners manual for the trolling motors any longer. You would think once you spend North of $1,500 they could include $1 worth of paper. I called MG about it and they said everyone is just using the online version. I asked, what if you don't have cell service??? The crickets were chirping. The sonar mfg are of the same mind set.

210 FSH

They don't include an owners manual for the trolling motors any longer. You would think once you spend North of $1,500 they could include $1 worth of paper. I called MG about it and they said everyone is just using the online version. I asked, what if you don't have cell service??? The crickets were chirping. The sonar mfg are of the same mind set.

Couldn‘t agree more. I kind of get it that a lot of manuals get tossed or are not used, however as capable as these units are and all of the settings they have both for ascetics and functionality it would seem a paper manual would be great to get the most out of a given system. I’ve been looking for on line videos and or classes to learn how to use my system effectively. I have not seen any explanation thus far in my manuals that talk about such things but theres a lot more to read.

I found one 4 part series online that the sound quality was unfortunately bad, but the humminbird rep was explaining the details of how the system works in regards to frequency and coverage area.. sounds like techno weenie stuff, but it sure made a lot of sense.

Here is the link for anyone interested.

As the presenter explains, these sonar basics, frequencies and their associated size of coverage cones apply to all different brands since the fundamental principles are the same. I’d pay money to see this guy‘s presentation. It is unfortunate that MinnKota doesn’t produce a series of downloadable videos by this presenter.

Printing is all about economy of scale... my Solix 10 manual is 240 pages, I Pilot link is 140 pages, Ulterra manual is 72 pages. I bought a 700 page ream of paper for $6, and four 1” three ring binders for $12 to put them in. I use single sided printing so I’ve got a place for notes on opposing page. It would seem to me that any of the big manufacturers could produce manuals for their products on water proof pages in a spiral bound note book for not too much money.

Either way Ive got a lot of homework to do...

The capability of these units is nothing short of amazing.

Riptide Ulterra:

I Pilot for Solix:

Solix:

This guy has some pretty good vids he made using these units on the water.

Last edited:

Dorado

I have found that it is just easier to download the pdf of the manuals to my phone. That way I always have it when I am out in the boat....