ANS Report

Just wanted to report what we saw regarding ANS at the lake.

We had to pull the houseboat out to do some work on it. This is the first time that the boat has been out in a little over a year. When it was pulled last fall, there were no mussels on the boat. That was not the case this time.

While it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, it still is disappointing that this is what we have to look forward to.

There were mussels on the drives, as well as all along the hull of the boat anywhere there was somewhere for them to attach.

Along the hull.

This was my 5th trip to the lake this year. My most recent trip was in September, when we went up to GHB. The mussels may have been there, but we didn't see them.

That was not the case this trip. We went up to Moki canyon, and the walls are covered at the water line, as well as where the water has receded so far this year (I'd say that the mussels were visible 12" - 18" above the water line).

We didn't see any when we were fishing in GHB, and we did look. As fast as they seem to have multiplied around Bullfrog, I don't imagine that I will be able to say that in the future.

I did hear reports of REQUIRED decontaminations of boats that had visible mussels. I don't know if that is true or not. I do know that all the signs are up stating that there is mandatory inspection of vessels leaving the park between 7 am and 7 pm. I tried to have the boat inspected a little before 600 PM on Sunday, and the station was not manned.

This whole situation breaks my heart.

We just pulled our houseboat today at Bullfrog to go into dry storage and we had much the same in the way of mussel build up in just 6-months of being on the water (we launched back in June).