Annual 2 week Lake Powell trip.

So the time is approaching for our annual 2 week Powell adventure. This will be the 7th year my cousin and I have been fortunate enough to make this trip happen. We will be launching on October 1st and head straight for the San Juan, crocs and zombies be dammed. In the past we have spent the first week in and around Paiute Bay. Was wondering with water level if its all off color water back there now. Last year the water color changed towards the back of the bay. Any info would be appreciated. Also hoping to camp in the Cha Bay area area this year and any info on camping sites would also be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

PowellBride

Staff member
We are on the way home, having spent 8 days on the SJ. Fishing from Piute to the start of the great bend has always been our favorite- not now! We fished up there in August and again this past week. There was nothing! Water is green to brown, with no visibility. Water was green as far down river as Deep canyon where it finally STARTS to transition to clearer water.

The light brown at the top of the photo is a debris field right where the water monitoring station used to be just before you start into the great bend. Depth was only 6’ where we took the photo, with zero visibility we didn’t want to wander up further just for a photo of yucky water

We did run into Hot Wheels, returning from his hot striper day. So nice of him to stop and say hello! We saw a few more boils in Wilson’s and in the channel between Wilson and Desha - also a few in the Cha Bay area, but they were small and short lived. We don’t target the strippers, but caught a few along the shoreline when we were casting in.

644D4F40-0789-4CFD-8B79-EB480370D22F.jpeg

Paul_G

Bummer. I was wanting to hit the San Juan for my first time next week. Might have to rethink that.

How was the fishing outside of the SJ?

We are on the way home, having spent 8 days on the SJ. Fishing from Piute to the start of the great bend has always been our favorite- not now! We fished up there in August and again this past week. There was nothing! Water is green to brown, with no visibility. Water was green as far down river as Deep canyon where it finally STARTS to transition to clearer water.

The light brown at the top of the photo is a debris field right where the water monitoring station used to be just before you start into the great bend. Depth was only 6’ where we took the photo, with zero visibility we didn’t want to wander up further just for a photo of yucky water

We did run into Hot Wheels, returning from his hot striper day. So nice of him to stop and say hello! We saw a few more boils in Wilson’s and in the channel between Wilson and Desha - also a few in the Cha Bay area, but they were small and short lived. We don’t target the strippers, but caught a few along the shoreline when we were casting in.

View attachment 19556
Thanks for the info. Looks like we will be spending more time in cha bay and surrounding canyons. Looking forward to it no matter water levels, love the isolation and feeling like your really out there.

TR.

Escalante-Class Member
Well from what I've heard from some of the more experienced people on this site there are Crocs and zombies 🧟‍♂️ roaming freely, especially when you get to the more remote areas. So travel at your own risk.😛
While there are magic spots all over the lake, if you end up camping more near the mouth because of water issues this place has never let me down for stripers:

37°09'22"N 110°56'54"W · 3,596 ft

The whole North East wall into the point and South about a few hundred yards has had stripers and the rubble always has nice bass.

TR

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
While there are magic spots all over the lake, if you end up camping more near the mouth because of water issues this place has never let me down for stripers:

37°09'22"N 110°56'54"W · 3,596 ft

The whole North East wall into the point and South about a few hundred yards has had stripers and the rubble always has nice bass.

TR
TR Thanks for the detailed fish report. That was very considerate!

PowellBride

Staff member
Ah, I'm not familiar with the SJ. So you would suggest not staying and fishing in there?
We never go anywhere else if we have a choice. So I WOULD recommend the SJ, but it is isolated. If you breakdown, especially back in a canyon or up toward Paiute, it may be days before anyone comes by. We have a story about that, hopefully I will get it posted soon

Bill Sampson

Escalante-Class Member
A number of years ago I was anchored in my usual area just before Great Bend when a park ranger showed up. He was going up the river to presumably recover a body around the Zahn Bay area. No one had heard from this gentleman for a number of days, and there was no cellphone service up there. I love the San Juan area, but always keep that in mind when you travel there.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
We never go anywhere else if we have a choice. So I WOULD recommend the SJ, but it is isolated. If you breakdown, especially back in a canyon or up toward Paiute, it may be days before anyone comes by. We have a story about that, hopefully I will get it posted soon
A number of years ago I was anchored in my usual area just before Great Bend when a park ranger showed up. He was going up the river to presumably recover a body around the Zahn Bay area. No one had heard from this gentleman for a number of days, and there was no cellphone service up there. I love the San Juan area, but always keep that in mind when you travel there.
Starlink…..

The last 6 years we have camped towards the back of Pauite Bay and always had cell coverage i can even watch some Sunday football. Seems if you can see the top of Navajo Mt. you get coverage.

PowellBride

Staff member
Seeing Navajo has proven true for us the past 10 years, but your can’t see it for the full length of the SJ. And, unfortunately there is no Paiute at this lake level. There’s a big sandy wash where the entrance to Paiute used to be