• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Anchovies vs sardines

Maverick5207

I'm headed back to Powell on Saturday until Wednesday and I didn't want to hassle with finding anchovies so I grabbed a few bags at Bass Pro in Mesa. When I got home I noticed they were actually sardines. They look pretty much the same to me. Slightly larger maybe.
I've googled this and I've only found answers concerning how they are each used in the culinary arts.
So what's the difference between sardines and anchovies when used for fishing?
I'm assuming the striper will still like 'em.
Just curious.

Richard

I don't think there is any difference from a Stripers point a few -- There just following the flash of color -- The north lake and Hanksville were out of Anchovies for three weeks but they are now fully stocked. After reading various comments I tried using a strip of Striper belly and it worked great and stayed on longer and didn't reek -- $7.00 a bag at the lake -- $5.00 a bag at Hollow Mountain in Hanksville

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I'm headed back to Powell on Saturday until Wednesday and I didn't want to hassle with finding anchovies so I grabbed a few bags at Bass Pro in Mesa. When I got home I noticed they were actually sardines. They look pretty much the same to me. Slightly larger maybe.
I've googled this and I've only found answers concerning how they are each used in the culinary arts.
So what's the difference between sardines and anchovies when used for fishing?
I'm assuming the striper will still like 'em.
Just curious.
My guess is stripers will love sardines; (along with anchovies, striper meat, carp nuggets, and anything else you can come up with)!

Maverick5207

My guess is stripers will love sardines; (along with anchovies, striper meat, carp nuggets, and anything else you can come up with)!
Kinda what I was thinking. I usually catch a few on bait and then take the worst looking one and cut it up for chum and bait, not only to save on the cost of anchovies but also so I don't have to deal with the stink when they thaw out.
Either way, I'm now well stocked for a while. I've got 5 bags of sardines and 3 of anchovies. I should be good for a while.

mcstriper

went grunion running last year here in so cal and brought them to LP and they did the trick there too. They also stay on the hook better when they eventually thaw. alot better than sardines or chovies in terms of staying on your hook.