Anchorage near Antelope Point Marina?

Trix

Any suggestions where we can safely bow out beach anchor close to AP?
We put this trip together in the last couple of days and we were hoping to get an over night slip at AP tomorrow (Thursday) night to join friends on their boat slipped there. AP is sold out. We are launching around 1800, want to stop by friends, then drop an anchor for the night. We have over night anchored on the north side of channel near the AP ramp for sun up retreival, but still some night time traffic. Lots of beaches on north/west side of Antelope Island I presume. Otherwise, closest looks like Warm Creek. I don't think there are candidates in Antelope Canyon, but I haven't idled back there with kayakers in a long time. We can buzz up to Padre Bay before dark if we bypass our AP visit. Thanks for any ideas!

BartsPlace

Staff member
I think you've stated the closest beaches, and probably what I'd shoot for, on the west side of Antelope Island - and also across to the west bank near the "Y" where Wahweap bay meets the main channel. Navajo might have some possibilities, but it is so long a canyon you'd probably get to Warm Creek sooner. Anyway, just some random thoughts from a north-ender who only occasionally visits the south...

Trix

Thanks for your thoughts, Bart. Slim pickins for sand around there. I'm going up with my daughter who hasn't been to LP for many years and we want to surprise my son who is with the AP group. The owner in the slip may know vacant slips we can grab for the night. If not, we yell "surprise" and put it on plane and get up to known beach areas. My daughter's new-to-them Formula Sun Sport can get us up lake muy pronto!

Trix

Thanks, John. I know those courtesy slips are there, but I'm not sure if overnight mooring is allowed. I'll check them.

DeepVee

We've been able to pull in this little cove before and at the right water level it has a sandy beach in the back of the small cove. The water level may be too low to get in there right now though but it may be worth checking. There is a green buoy just outside this cove, before you'd get to the Navajo entrance. It's fairly well protected from the channel waves when you can get in there.

Attachments

Tiff Mapel

I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but there are some nice sandy beaches right across from APM on the downstream side. I would think right now there'd be plenty of sand. Hope you're having fun out there.

Tiff